my_sons_reef

Cal 450

Alk 8.6

MG 1200

PO4 less than 1

Nitrate 10-25

pH 8.15

Using Salifert test kits.

How often should I be using BRS 2 part. I usually just check Alk and cal, 2-3 times a week

mystersyster

You shouldn't have to dose anytime soon unless you have stony corals that are consuming a lot of calcium. Water changes will suffice until you see large decreases in Calcium and Alk over short periods of time. Your water levels are fine, but I'd focus on bringing your nitrates down to under 5.

I try to keep my Nitrates to 10 or bellow and never have any issues (with SPS, under 5). You might want to bump the Mag up a little to around 1300 to 1350 but if all is well, don't worry too much about it.

my_sons_reef

For some reason it's been difficult to get them lower. I have a 65g DT with about 45-50lbs of rock, I have a eshopps rs100 sump and in the filter sock chamber I have it filled with a box of marinepure balls, I have a reef octopus 110 sss skimmer, 5lbs of miracle mud in a container, and I am running a BRS bio pellet reactor.

I feed a cube every other day and between those days I feed Reef chili

I have a mix of small SPS frags, LPS, softies, and a derasa clam

mystersyster

Hmmm... Your feeding may be a little much. I feed my tank reef chili twice a week, and give some of my LPS pellets. A cube has a lot of crap in it that wont be eaten. Do you rinse your cubed food? I would start by doing that, rinsing it real well with some RO/DI. I personally rinse in tap water, and then RODI, but my TDS is really low regardless.

For some reason it's been difficult to get them lower. I have a 65g DT with about 45-50lbs of rock, I have a eshopps rs100 sump and in the filter sock chamber I have it filled with a box of marinepure balls, I have a reef octopus 110 sss skimmer, 5lbs of miracle mud in a container, and I am running a BRS bio pellet reactor.

I feed a cube every other day and between those days I feed Reef chili

I have a mix of small SPS frags, LPS, softies, and a derasa clam

Are you running floss/sock before the marinepure balls? Otherwise they will just collect debris to create nitrate with.

A cube seems like a lot, how many fish do you have that you need to feed so much?

I don't know anything about Mud so can't help there.

mystersyster

Are you running floss/sock before the marinepure balls? Otherwise they will just collect debris to create nitrate with.

A cube seems like a lot, how many fish do you have that you need to feed so much?

As long as he is changing the socks out daily or every couple of days they shouldn't create much nitrate in the system. However, they probably shouldn't go more than a few days.

As long as he is changing the socks out daily or every couple of days they shouldn't create much nitrate in the system. However, they probably shouldn't go more than a few days.

What I mean is, I wasn't sure if he was running a sock/filter floss at all or just the marine pure.

my_sons_reef

Yes I run a filter sock right before the marinepure. Honestly I was changing it out every 3-4 days but this past month it's been every Sunday, but my nitrates are still testing the same

my_sons_reef

I have 4 clowns, YWG, lawn mower blenny, 6 line, fire fish, a sleeper banded goby, and a mollie.

I let the cube melt then I'll strain over a paper towel.

The tank has been up and running for about 9 months. Half the Rock, sponges, and most of the water came from my 3 year old nano cube 28

I have 4 clowns, YWG, lawn mower blenny, 6 line, fire fish, a sleeper banded goby, and a mollie.

I let the cube melt then I'll strain over a paper towel.

The tank has been up and running for about 9 months. Half the Rock, sponges, and most of the water came from my 3 year old nano cube 28

What type of clowns? How long they been together? Just curious, I have seen tanks before with multiple pairs that work.

So 10 fish, some lower bioload though. I wouldn't think they need as much food as you are giving them. I have a 75g, 10g, 7g and one mysis cube lasts me 2-3 days among the 3 tanks. I just put it in the fridge till I use it up. Small frequent feedings.

I was going to mention cleaning the sand bed but I am guessing the sleeper goby turns it over.

my_sons_reef

What type of clowns? How long they been together? Just curious, I have seen tanks before with multiple pairs that work.

So 10 fish, some lower bioload though. I wouldn't think they need as much food as you are giving them. I have a 75g, 10g, 7g and one mysis cube lasts me 2-3 days among the 3 tanks. I just put it in the fridge till I use it up. Small frequent feedings.

I was going to mention cleaning the sand bed but I am guessing the sleeper goby turns it over.

I have a Flurry, 2 black ocellaris, and a True percula. I have had them since I set the tank up. They all host in a large carpet anenome

The Sleeper goby does an awesome job at keeping the sand clean sometimes to the point it's annoying.

Should my skimmer be pulling out a bunch of gunk?

I would prob expect it to be pulling something at those nitrates.

my_sons_reef

I would prob expect it to be pulling something at those nitrates.

It takes about 2 weeks for it to fill the cup about 1/4 inch. It is dark and chunky but I feel like it should be filling up faster than that. I haven't found to many people with the Reef octopus 110 sss to see if I have mine set up right

You would be damn surprised how much junk (detritus) accumulates in the sand bed.

Don't know much about your sand bed but if I were a betting man if you ran a gravel vac through it you would be shocked at the color and s!%# that pulls up and out of the pretty white sand.

Just did a 10gal water change on my 30 today (every 2 weeks, I feed light btw) and I was taken back by the brown water that filled my first 5gal bucket.

Just pinch the end of the siphon tubing or cover uncover it with your finger and take your time going slowly

Choose a smallish area on the sand bed each water change

my_sons_reef

You would be damn surprised how much junk (detritus) accumulates in the sand bed.

Don't know much about your sand bed but if I were a betting man if you ran a gravel vac through it you would be shocked at the color and s!%# that pulls up and out of the pretty white sand.

Just did a 10gal water change on my 30 today (every 2 weeks, I feed light btw) and I was taken back by the brown water that filled my first 5gal bucket.

Just pinch the end of the siphon tubing or cover uncover it with your finger and take your time going slowly

Choose a smallish area on the sand bed each water change

Yes when I do preform a water change I'll move through the sand but my Sleepy goby keeps it real clean and its constantly turning over

Archived