Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lizs Fusion 20- Gel Photos! 7/29

Elizabeth94

You know with your skimmer airline going into your skimmer overflow like that if your skimmer collection cup does overflow you will be sending skimmate directly to your impeller, i'd hate to see the nasty mess that would make. You are also pulling air out of your skimmer cup which can't be nearly as healthy as fresh air. Is there a reason you are running it like that?

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

You know with your skimmer airline going into your skimmer overflow like that if your skimmer collection cup does overflow you will be sending skimmate directly to your impeller, i'd hate to see the nasty mess that would make. You are also pulling air out of your skimmer cup which can't be nearly as healthy as fresh air. Is there a reason you are running it like that?

I have a fitting that I drilled in the back of the skimmer cup that flows into a container if needed (which is below the stock drain hole). However, I have never seen a drop of water in the container so I am kinda regretting doing that.

Running it this way makes it nearly silent. I tried to use the "silencer" that is built into the skimmer, but it sucks. So I read a thread on this mod. I drilled it on the backside of the cup so I wouldn't have to look at it.

• Like 2

I have a fitting that I drilled in the back of the skimmer cup that flows into a container if needed (which is below the stock drain hole). However, I have never seen a drop of water in the container so I am kinda regretting doing that.

Running it this way makes it nearly silent. I tried to use the "silencer" that is built into the skimmer, but it sucks. So I read a thread on this mod. I drilled it on the backside of the cup so I wouldn't have to look at it.

Yea, I would have to run mine for a month or longer to overflow it and I shut it off for feedings and gluings. Luckily I don't have to worry about noise level as my tank is in computer room, I did read about some people putting balls of cotton (off a q-tip) over the open port of the silencer. I would imagine the waste in my skimmer cup has to give off some gasses, I just wonder if those are getting put back into your water with that mod. I guess if you haven't seen any side effects it's no big deal. New tank is gonna look nice!

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

You know, I never really thought about the difference between the air in the skimmer cup, and the air outside the tank.

I havent noticed anything yet and its been a few months, but now you have me wondering a bit. Maybe ill try the cotton trick.

One thing I do know is that this skimmer is a beast. Excellent quality, and works really well!

Thanks, hope the tank turns into something nice. As of right now its just holding a pile of rocks haha.

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Just used reef cement to get some rocks stacked up for my islands. I did it in the tank because it said it was safe, and I didn't want to take my live rock out of the water.

Needless to say it made an absolute mess. Chunks of cement are everywhere, and the tank is super cloudy! I am running tons of filter floss, but I think it is going to take a few water changes to get this stuff out. I still need to do the right island for the tank and I am not looking forward to the mess..

The only good thing is that it settles to the bottom so I can blow it into corners of the tank and siphon it out. Can't wait until this tank is completely settled in.

Spa are looking ok, I guess. My acropora browned out after the transfer and bulk reef supply hasn't gotten back to me about the broken T5 bulbs. Currently running my prime and two T5 bulbs. Ugh!

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Thanks!

Meantime- Bulk reef supply still hasn't responded to my emails, and I am only running two bulbs in my fixture. I figured that they were closed yesterday (even though I sent an email out a few days ago), but my patience is running out :(

EDIT: Dropped my AI Prime into the tank. Its mount must have been loose on the back wall of the tank and while I was dong a water changed I bumped it. SO, that light is fried. Good news is that all of my livestock is ok and I did manage to finish the major rock scape. Some corals still need to be placed, but I am quiet happy with it so far.

Now that I don't have the Prime, I am left to the two bulbs in my ATI fixture. I ordered new bulbs from MarineDepot and I hope BRS will refund me for the broken bulbs.

• Like 2

Oh no! Poor AI prime. Its good to hear that the livestock survived the accident though. Picture of the new setup please :)!

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Oh no! Poor AI prime. Its good to hear that the livestock survived the accident though. Picture of the new setup please :)!

I know! I was so worried about my fish and corals but I got the light out very fast. In fact, I was an idiot and pulled it out of the water without unplugging it <_< I guess I can say it was more of an instant reaction to catch the light and pull it out. I am lucky I didn't get electrocuted!

Now.. I never realized how hard it was to get pictures of anything with an actinic T5 bulb. Pictures came out ridiculously blue, when it it really about 15k in person. I have no idea what I will do when I want to take photos of corals. Maybe some gel filters? Or a new camera?

This is the work I got done today. My acro on the top rock is pissed and has some RTN going on. I hope it gets better, I will leave it alone now and just change out filter floss in the tank. I think I am messing with it too much and pissing things off.

IMG_0346_zpsgikv2fis.jpg

IMG_0347_zps84dca0ak.jpg

IMG_0349_zpstyxc4gam.jpg

IMG_0351_zpsm03etojd.jpg

• Like 4

Gotta love those quick reactions where we don't think whats safe. :) I like the rockwork looks like things are coming together!! Keep it up!

Elizabeth94

Can you set custom white balance on your camera? If not, there are software to correct it. Ask Harry =P. His pics with T5 always turn out awesome.

These photos are with my ipad. I tired adjusting white balance when taking pictures with my phone but it still looks worse. My ipad mini doesnt seem to have options for white balance.

Harry does take awesome photos but I have a feeling he is using an actual camera with lenses and filters maybe. Maybe ill play with my dads camera tomorrow.

• Like 2
Elizabeth94

Acro looks even worse now. I suspect it will be completly dead in the morning..

Sucks because I grew it from a very small frag. It used to be such a tolerant coral.

Cross your fingers that it recovers please :(

fingerscrossed for your acro!

I don't think the pictures look too bad, they're just, well, blue. I've found I can sometimes get a decent color balance with cell phone cameras but usually not. I always have to use a camera that can shoot in RAW, and then adjust it afterwards. But that works really well and once you get some practice at doing it, it doesn't take long at all.

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Poor acro :( This guy used to be bright green, but it took a quick turn for the worst.. At least it survived the night. I don't have high hopes for it

20160726_102505-1_zpsmhucghxi.jpg

On a more positive note.. Look at this cool photo I got using my phone. It is obviously exaggerated, but still really cool. This is after I fed it a pellet

20160723_140613_zpsuerku5nu.jpg

Love the blue background and scape!!

Do you have a GFI plug for your tank? Save you from getting electrocuted..

Also, try some camera apps that can adjust white balance… I think "camera plus" is a good one. I had it on my iPhone before, but now i'm Android, so I can't comment.

Following!

Elizabeth94

Love the blue background and scape!!

Do you have a GFI plug for your tank? Save you from getting electrocuted..

Also, try some camera apps that can adjust white balance… I think "camera plus" is a good one. I had it on my iPhone before, but now i'm Android, so I can't comment.

Following!

Thanks! I really do like the blue background myself. Cant wait for everything to settle in.

I have an android phone as well, maybe I will download something for the iPad for now. I am looking to order some gel filters though after doing some more research on what colors I should get.

Whats a GFI?

Whats a GFI?

GFCI - ground fault circuit interruptor. You probably have them in your kitchen/bathroom, with the LED next to the outlets? It'll shut everything off if it senses water.

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Ah I see. Im not too sure. I have most of my equipment running off of a pretty nice power strip. Wonder if those have it. Probably not, I think I was lucky.

It was just a quick response to catch the light. One of those gut reactions. Hope it never happens again.

• Like 2

Some of the reefers on this forum and elsewhere have said they don't run GFCI simply because they can be very sensitive and may trip just due to dampness. Having a device that might randomly power down your entire tank system without your knowledge is not an attractive idea even though it is much safer :)

• Like 3
nolanrob123

The tank is really looking good. sorry to hear about your Acro. That really stinks. On another note, I have had tanks for years and keep them all on a gfi and never had one trip. Depending on the age of the home, you may have bad problems if a heater leaks and shorts out, a light falls in etc. Not to try to scare you. Don't some of those power strips come with them now?

• Like 1

Aww Liz, my condolences on the tank transfer losses! I feel like a jerk, I didn't see your new tank thread and posted a congratz in your old one. Oh well! GFI is essential, but it's hard to find a good unit that has built in timers.

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Aww Liz, my condolences on the tank transfer losses! I feel like a jerk, I didn't see your new tank thread and posted a congratz in your old one. Oh well! GFI is essential, but it's hard to find a good unit that has built in timers.

Thanks for stopping by Hexilios, you aren't a jerk!! The acro is still holding on, the RTN slowed quite a bit. I have never dealt with this before so I am not sure if corals can actually make it out alive? Everything else looks fine. A bit annoyed still since I only have two working bulbs in the ATI fixture. I should be getting my new bulbs tomorrow in the mail. Hope they are all intact!!

Yeah, I am not gonna play around with this GFI stuff. I have never ran a tank with one and don't really want something that can just turn everything off if it senses the smallest bit of water.

Elizabeth94

Got the rest of my bulbs in from MarineDepot. They wrapped them up very well for shipping, so no broken bulbs this time! I also got some Xport PO4 in so I can try it out, along with some new carbon and Reef Roids (which I have unbelievably never used before).

I also got my camera gel filters in today, so I hope I can play around with them tomorrow and post some pics that are more natural.

Had a horrible day at work, so getting all of this stuff in and being able to open it up after work really helped the stress levels. Sales sucks sometimes, gotta watch out for those crooked coworkers!

• Like 2