Innovative Marine Aquariums

Question: new coral placement from plugs/rock

PorscheCaymanGT4

PorscheCaymanGT4

so, im far from getting corals but the question is burning in my head when i see tanks with natural looking placement of corals on rock. Fish stores ive seen have corals already on live rocks or on plugs. when i get new corals i really dont want them on plugs or additonal live rock in my tank (since i have enough already)

How do you guys remove a frag from plugs or rock? especially shrooms and zoanthid polyps? whats procedures do i need to take to do it without damaging the coral?

any help would be appreciated, and sorry if this has been asked before. im new to reefing and trying to soak up as much knowledge as i can.

HarryPotter

Softies (shrooms and zoa polyps) can't easily be removed from the rock they're on. You can use pliars or coral cutters to minimize the size of the frag plug or rock before you glue it though!

fishfreak0114

Chances are that you can chip away nearly all of the rock/plug with coral cutters like Harry said. Or if, say, there's Zoas on a plug and they haven't spread, you could possibly very carfully chip off below the glue with a scalpel or bone cutters. I've broke things off at the glue before, but not Zoas.

PorscheCaymanGT4

Chances are that you can chip away nearly all of the rock/plug with coral cutters like Harry said. Or if, say, there's Zoas on a plug and they haven't spread, you could possibly very carfully chip off below the glue with a scalpel or bone cutters. I've broke things off at the glue before, but not Zoas.

good to know thank you.

Archived