Coral Vue Hydros

Fusion 20: Move to T5's?

Elizabeth94

Elizabeth94

As some may know, I have a fusion 20 on order and will be transferring everything from my 10. I only have one AI Prime as of right now.

Stocking for this tank: SPS and some LPS that I already have

I don't like the idea of ONE single AI Prime on this tank. I would love to try out T5's. I thought about just getting a second Prime, but I don't really want to do that. Don't get me wrong, I love the prime, but I feel that I could be getting even better colors with some T5 bulbs.

If the fusion 20 was your tank, would you..

A: Just buy a second AI Prime

B: Use the single AI Prime and add a small, 2 bulb T5 fixture for supplement (Like the AquaticLife Marquis Dual Lamp at MarineDepot)

C: Just suck it up and get the ATI- keeping in mind that I will be upgrading again to something that is bigger anyway.

Money isn't an issue, but at the same time I don't want to be out of control with this tank.

HarryPotter

I would go with an ATI fixture. The spread from T5s is second to none IMO. Im not saying you can't achieve incredible tanks with LEDs, but I tried a few high end fixtures before trying an ATI Sunpower and ended up staying there after seeing positive responses

Elizabeth94

Do you think spending $600 on a fusion 20 for lighting is a little bit extreme? I am not convinced that going full blown T5, for that price, would be much better than just adding a 2bulb fixture with my Prime.

Btw- the one I am looking at has 6 bulbs. Can I just run four of the bulbs for this little tank? (IF I go with the ati)

I would go with an ATI fixture.

Cencalfishguy56

Do you think spending $600 on a fusion 20 for lighting is a little bit extreme? I am not convinced that going full blown T5, for that price, would be much better than just adding a 2bulb fixture with my Prime.

Btw- the one I am looking at has 6 bulbs. Can I just run four of the bulbs for this little tank? (IF I go with the ati)

2 bulb with a prime is my vote, or a 4 bulb but 6 is overkill IMO
Elizabeth94

2 bulb with a prime is my vote, or a 4 bulb but 6 is overkill IMO

What if I got the six bulb ATI and used just four bulbs? Can I do that?

I know I will be upgrading in the next year or two again to a larger system- 50 or 60gallons

I know I will be upgrading in the next year or two again to a larger system- 50 or 60gallons

Why do anything if this tank is just temporary? IMO it I was planning to upgrade- just run the prime and make this a badass softie, euphy, LPS tank.

I wouldn't limit myself in the future by trying to buy equipment to use now for a tank later.

Good luck.

Cencalfishguy56

Why do anything if this tank is just temporary? IMO it I was planning to upgrade- just run the prime and make this a badass softie, euphy, LPS tank.

I wouldn't limit myself in the future by trying to buy equipment to use now for a tank later.

Good luck.

what he said lol
Elizabeth94

Hmm..

I will need another light regardless. If I just have one light, it would not be enough at 100% while having it higher off the surface to get the spread I need of my current sps. (acro is about 8" away from the light running ~85%)

Thanks guys for the comments. I didn't want to jump the gun without seeing what other people would do. If anything, I might just get a cheap 2 bulb and supplement the single Prime and see how my sps do. Right now they are fine but I know I could get more color out of them.

ill have to stop thinking about it for a bit and give my brain a break. :rolleyes:

I have 1 Ai on a 15g 24" long. No shadowing at all. I have a mixed reef.

I've seen a lot of 20g IM with only 1 kessil or 1 prime with no issues.

I think the reason why so many have issues with bleaching or melting their corals- overkill on lighting.

Elizabeth94

I have 1 Ai on a 15g 24" long. No shadowing at all. I have a mixed reef.

I've seen a lot of 20g IM with only 1 kessil or 1 prime with no issues.

I think the reason why so many have issues with bleaching or melting their corals- overkill on lighting.

Hello Clown!

I have already purchased an ATI 4bulb Sunpower for this tank. I liked my prime, but it just wasnt' that great for sps. They lived and had good polyp extension, but they never colored up as much as I wanted.

When I get the new unit in I will be able to see how much my sps change from the prime, to the T5 unit! It should be here in a couple of days, so excited!

To be honest- the hype on Prime is disappointing so far for me. Its a nice light but so far I don't have any better colouration than with my par38.

It was my reason for upgrading and yet things look less colourful.

I loved my t5ho's! I had them when they first became popular- i had growth, colouration, and kept everything with no issue.

You'll be happy with t5.

Elizabeth94

I know you already pulled the trigger on the T5 but a Nanobox hybrid would be the best of both worlds.

Yeah I have seen the hybrid, but for a tank this size I would only be able to fit two T5s If I had LEDs in the fixture. Defeats the point of going to T5s. However, If my tank was larger I would jump on a hybrid!

Archived