Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fresh BC14

BlindZide

Morning everyone!

My name is Trent and I have been reef keeping for about 3 years now. Started with a 29G, moved to a 75G, moved to 2 40 Breeders, then 1 40 Breeder, then moved to a 54G Corner, and have now settled on this lovely BC14. I don't get big into fish as I normally keep Clowns only. I love their personalities and their open swimming. I keep mainly LPS because I fail at keeping SPS.

My BC14 is cycling. It has been running since 7/9. Using LR from my 54G that crashed 2 weeks ago while on vacation. New sand. I haven't checked parameters other than SG since it is still building life. SG is at 1.026. Temp is at 78.

I am using the stock lights for the time being. Will retrofit LEDs to reduce heat in the tank eventually. Skimmer, MJ900, and Chemipure Blue should be delivered today along with a smaller heater that is fully submersible.

So in the back of the tank, chamber 1 will be the skimmer, chamber 2 will be Chemipure Blue, Filter Floss, and I don't know what else just yet. Chamber 3 will be MJ900 and heater. Installed a nano 240 the other day as well.

What are your thoughts on the Hydor Flo and what are your thoughts for the 3rd compartment in chamber 2? I have enough LR in tank to not need any in the basket and I don't want a fuge.

Thanks!

Reef Hollister

What kind of skimmer are you planning to use? Just so you know, my BC14 was meh until I retrofitted the lights. Than made all the difference in the world on coral growth.

Mine is set up with a heater in chamber 1, an Intank media rack in chamber 2 ( floss, fuge and Chemipure Blue) and MJ return pump in 3. I will also occasionally drop a little bag of carbon in 3 just to clean things up. If you're not going to have a little fuge in your third compartment, I would keep a little carbon in there for any stray impurities. Personally, I like the fuge and all the pods it produces.

Welcome!

Sounds like you have a good plan going.

I like the hydor powerheads, I've never had an issue with any of mine.

The hydor flo is the rotating attachment. Are you planning to use it on the return? If you upgraded the pump- it will be fine. The rotating attachments don't work well with underpowered pumps.

I tried using a rotator on my return in my IM tank- the stock pump was 90gph and the rotator wouldn't move. Upgraded to mj900 and all was good.

I personally like the flow the rotators provide. Just clean them frequently- a good soak in vinegar water keeps them working well.

I'm not overly familiar with the back chambers in the BC but your plans sound right.

Filter floss and chemipure is good. You can add phosphate remover when needed.

I got the Biocube skimmer. I know it isn't the best but it should suffice with weekly WCs. If I put a fuge in chamber 2, should it be above or below the chemipure and filter floss? Pump is being upgraded to the MJ900 so the Flo should be OK to turn.

As far as lights go, I have been looking at RapidLED. Just not sure what to look for and how to disburse the different colors. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I don't run my tanks with a skimmer, I do with large set ups but anything under 20g, I won't.

As far as I know, fuges need a light for the macroalgae. Placement will be important.

There might be a thread on the BC's on here. Try a search to see how others do a fuge in the bc.

Lighting. Many options depending on what you plan on keeping and if you're going hoodless or not.

Rapid led has par38 bulbs and 1 would be plenty for 14g.

They also have a slew of other options to build your own lights.

Coral compulsion has par38 in full spectrum, dimmable as well...they have a lot of affordable options.

Par38's are strong lights.

Ai Prime- a favoured light

Nanobox

Kessil

Aquamaxx nemolight

Orbits

As for the led options- there is so much info on it we could write a book. Lol.

My head was spinning from all my research.

You want good leds. The more expensive fixtures use 3 watt leds and less of them where as some fixtures use more leds with less wattage per led.

You want the led optics at 80 degrees or more. It provides more spread of the light.

Full spectrum is best.

I have the ai prime on my 15g and the aquamaxx nemolight on my 10g...both use different types of led but both have a nice mix of led colours. Programmable too.

As for colour mixes- i've read that 3:1 blue to white.

You want deep blue, cool blue, whites, less red and green.

I would like to keep the hood on but it isn't a deal breaker. Right now the fans from the lights are annoying me to no end. I cannot wait to get those out. So noisy.

I was thinking about looking for a low profile led fixture.

fishfreak0114

I have a nanobox retrofit in my bc29, and it's THE BOMB!!! It came with a fan too that's really quiet. Apparently you can wire the old fans to it too but I never figured it out and I don't want the added noise anyways. The actual color of the light is very nice, and adjustable. It fits into the existing hood and even I (who's awful at electrical stuff) had no trouble putting it in :). Dave is a sponsor on this forum too.

Reef Hollister

With weekly water changes, the biocube skimmer is just wasting electricity. My media rack fuge is in the middle compartment. The floss, obviously needs to be on top. I have a couple of JBJ fuge lights so I cut out the corresponding black backing and attached one of the lights. This lttle system will really grow the chaeto. I have Chemipure on the bottom.

@fishfreak - Do you have a link to said light?

@Reef Hollister - So the light doesn't need to be over top of it, just needs to shine through the back at it? If that is the case, maybe I will give some chaeto a try again. How often do you have to trim?

If I am reading the page right, for a BC14 I would need to use a "Tide". Comes gooseneck or hanging kit. How would I be able to put that in my hood?

erinmegan85

I have the Nanobox Retrofit for my Biocube 14. Definitely reduced the temperature of the tank, and was pretty easy to install. Look under the retrofits, those are the ones that fit in the lid. I had to have my tank go topless for about a week because of an issue with the light, and let me tell you, the evaporation was insane.

Reef Hollister

Yeah the BC has a black film on the back that you can cut off with a razor and then attach a light to the back glass where you just opened up to shine through the glass to the media rack. I usually start with about a half chamber full of chaeto and it will last a couple of months before I need to cull some. Since that is no longer my main tank anymore, I also put a walmart soapdish on the side and put the excess in there for extra fuge power.

The JBJ led fuge light works great and I know there are other similar ones.

Nanoboxreef.com retro kit was ordered this morning. I emailed Dave and he walked me through everything. Already impressed with the service. Thanks for the recommendation everyone!

I will be looking into the inTank media basket as well. Appreciate that Hollister.

fishfreak0114

Intank media baskets are great, all the water is directed right rough it. I have the fuge basket too and like it very much.

Ordered lights from Nanoboxreef.com. shipped today so hopefully next week I will have them. Ordered the Small Retrofit Plus M kit. Dave was awesome.

Also ordered the inTank media basket which was also shipped today.

And I purchased a MP10QD from the classifieds which shipped today as well.

Inquired about an AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro in the classifieds as well. If it's not available I will order one from MarineDepot. Anyone know if I need to get a pump for this ATO?

This tank shot was right after I was finished setting it up. Not as cloudy now! **Cant upload from my phone, will do when I get home**

Reef Hollister

The Smart ATOs come with a pump, at least mine did but it is not the micro. It is the original smart ATO and is on an IM Fusion 30L. There is really no need for an ATO with a BC14 unless you plan on neglecting it for long periods of time. With a closed lid and LED lights, I might lose a gallon of water a month at most. Just top it off every few days and you'll be fine. Save that money for nice livestock.

fishfreak0114

^agree. In my bc29 I lose very little water, and I leave the maintenance door open too because it's faulty and sticks bad when closed. If you top up every couple days all will be well :)

HarryPotter

Ordered lights from Nanoboxreef.com. shipped today so hopefully next week I will have them. Ordered the Small Retrofit Plus M kit. Dave was awesome.

Also ordered the inTank media basket which was also shipped today.

And I purchased a MP10QD from the classifieds which shipped today as well.

Inquired about an AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro in the classifieds as well. If it's not available I will order one from MarineDepot. Anyone know if I need to get a pump for this ATO?

This tank shot was right after I was finished setting it up. Not as cloudy now! **Cant upload from my phone, will do when I get home**

Awesome equipment!

The Smart ATOs come with a pump, at least mine did but it is not the micro. It is the original smart ATO and is on an IM Fusion 30L. There is really no need for an ATO with a BC14 unless you plan on neglecting it for long periods of time. With a closed lid and LED lights, I might lose a gallon of water a month at most. Just top it off every few days and you'll be fine. Save that money for nice livestock.

Sounds good. I'll bypass the ATO then because I interact with my tank everyday.

Awesome equipment!

Thanks! I skimped on good equipment my last few tanks. Not this time! :)

I had LEDs on the 54G Corner. OceanRevive s026 I believe it was. Loved the colors. Much better than my quad T5HO.

Archived