Cultivated Reef

Feeding advice

goblue1997

Hi,

I have a 4 month old Coralife Biocube 29. I currently have the following livestock:

Fish - 2 black and white ocellaris clows, 1 coral beauty

Inverts - coral banded shrimp, cleaner shrimp

Coral - torch, hammer, green star polyp, leather toadstool, mushroom, blue xenia

I feed the tank every day - alternating between Sustainable Aquatics Dry Hatchery Diet pellets one day, and a small thawed chunk of LRS Reef Frenzy Nano the next day.

The fish and shrimp seem to be doing great - they are active, growing, and go bananas for both types of food.

Regarding the coral, my research suggests that while they are photosynthetic and don't need to be fed, they will all benefit from "the occasional bit of raw table shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp or silverside".

So my question is whether I would need to target feed my corals to give them this benefit, or if they are getting it when I just pour in a thawed chunk of Reef Frenzy every other day. When I dump it in, it looks like a snow globe in my tank. The fish chase after pieces, but it seems like small bits are landing on the pieces of coral. Are they absorbing it that way?

Also, am I feeding my tank too often? I have read some comments that you should feed every other day, and others saying you should feed every day.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a 4 month old Coralife Biocube 29. I currently have the following livestock:

Fish - 2 black and white ocellaris clows, 1 coral beauty

Inverts - coral banded shrimp, cleaner shrimp

Coral - torch, hammer, green star polyp, leather toadstool, mushroom, blue xenia

I feed the tank every day - alternating between Sustainable Aquatics Dry Hatchery Diet pellets one day, and a small thawed chunk of LRS Reef Frenzy Nano the next day.

The fish and shrimp seem to be doing great - they are active, growing, and go bananas for both types of food.

Regarding the coral, my research suggests that while they are photosynthetic and don't need to be fed, they will all benefit from "the occasional bit of raw table shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp or silverside".

So my question is whether I would need to target feed my corals to give them this benefit, or if they are getting it when I just pour in a thawed chunk of Reef Frenzy every other day. When I dump it in, it looks like a snow globe in my tank. The fish chase after pieces, but it seems like small bits are landing on the pieces of coral. Are they absorbing it that way?

Also, am I feeding my tank too often? I have read some comments that you should feed every other day, and others saying you should feed every day.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Adam

Sounds good to me. Some people feedevery other day just to keep nutrients down, but I never have felt that was fair to the fish. I feed 2x day, about 1/2 cube mysis or some reef frenzy or NLS pellets.

I think the corals you have will get plenty of nutrition as you are feeding now. The only ones I target feed are my sun coral, acans and duncan.

Leftovers blowing around the tank will take care of your corals, as will the fish's, erm by-products. A (very) little bit of LRS minced up extra-fine & broadcast fed into a circulation pump would work if you;re concerned about the corals not getting their share.

Like newstead posted, I'd only bother target feeding a coral I was either trying to spur significant additional growth on or had experienced die-back on that I was trying to rehabilitate. Or an NPS that simply hadn't synced up to the tank's feeding schedule.

several people feed heavy. I think am one of them.

weekly regimen is currently as follows:

Reef Chili 5-7 "spoons" (the super small reef chili supplied spoon that looks like the Ca+ test kit one)

10-15 spoons of Reef Roids

2-3 spoons of Coral Frenzy

20-30 medium Fauna Marine LPS pellets

5 drops of Real Ocean Eggs

3 drops of Oyster Eggs

3 drops Phyto Food

5 ml of Reef Fuel

These are mixed in the reef chili mixing bottle with tank water and kept in the fridge and shaken and fed daily. 1 full bottle a week. Mixed one time a week.

then I feed the clowns R.O.E. 1-2 drops daily.

3gal WC every 2 weeks, scrape glass whenever, floss once a week or longer...

stable and going on over 2 years. granted I didn't start this heavy.

My Current Livestock

Cinnamon Clown

RBTA

Bubble Coral

Elegance Coral

Flower Pot (Goniopora)

Daisy Coral (Alveopora)

Open Brain

Tube Anemone

Blastomussa

Duncans

Zoanthid Garden.

Feather Dusters

I tend to overfeed :unsure: I Target feed everything.

I Feed daily, Spirolina Brine and Mysis shrimp

Cyclops, Zooplankton, Coral food (Frozen) PE Calanus Every other day

and once a week Coral Frenzy.

So, I guess I am a heavy feeder :( YET! When I bring my water in for testing, everything is GOOD! :happy:

With all that said, I do dose NO3PO4-X (Nopox) 1-2 ML per day and Dose Reef Fusion 1 & 2 every other day for Cal Alk.

Archived