Top Shelf Aquatics

Toadstool base discoloured-possible corallivore

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

I bought a toadstool in March. It came on a rock of nasties so I cut it off and in the base was a red thingy (I'll add a pic) that I believe was a corallivore. It's seemed ok since then, but recently ive noticed discolouration of the stalk and algae growing on it. It send dead-ish at the bottom. Is this normal? Or could there be another of the thingys (technical I know :lol: ) eating it from inside? If the base is dead, should I cut off the cap?

image_zpsjjlibz52.jpeg

Here's what was living in it when I got it

image_zpsa4iiv8z8.jpeg

I had something similar happen to my old toad. Stalk started to look wrinkly. ....then the crown looked sunken in. Finally saw a small hole dead center in the top. At the bottom of the base was a tube-like tunnel of sand that went down to my sandbed. Some sort of wormy creature came out of the sand, built it's little sand tube to the base of the toad and bored a hole dead center from bottom of stock straight up to the top center of the crown. I pulled the toad and sliced rings from the base of the foot all the way up....finally killing the wormy thing. Made a bunch of baby toads that all survived....that was a good 6 or 7 years ago....

fishfreak0114

I had something similar happen to my old toad. Stalk started to look wrinkly. ....then the crown looked sunken in. Finally saw a small hole dead center in the top. At the bottom of the base was a tube-like tunnel of sand that went down to my sandbed. Some sort of wormy creature came out of the sand, built it's little sand tube to the base of the toad and bored a hole dead center from bottom of stock straight up to the top center of the crown. I pulled the toad and sliced rings from the base of the foot all the way up....finally killing the wormy thing. Made a bunch of baby toads that all survived....that was a good 6 or 7 years ago....

So I should cut it? I killed the one wormy thing when I got it, it sucks that there is more :(

So I should cut it? I killed the one wormy thing when I got it, it sucks that there is more :(

No idea.....you'll have to watch and see if the health declines or turns around. I'd hate to tell you to cut him up if there's no need.

Fwiw, a lot of my larger toads have a dofferent color base and some algae. They seem to shed the rest but the very base has some algae. If the stalk isn't slumping, I wouldn't do anything just yet. Like Jack said, just watch it for a bit.

Archived