Innovative Marine Aquariums

How many water changes has one made in a day? Hhheeeaaaalllllppp!

Blr26995

IMG_20160728_194036_zpsbpayykcg.jpg

Little cloudy but everything is in and looking good! Feel much better now. Also algae is gone like dust in the wind. Crazy... So I didn't add the Sea chem. Anyway thanks again Seabass!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That top rock has a lot of macro algae. What are your thoughts about that? Having some macro isn't always a bad thing, and some people like it. It makes the tank look natural and can help with nutrient uptake. You just don't want it to overtake you corals (which can sometimes be difficult).

You know the green fern looking one to the far right corner popped up recently. Not sure the name on that one but the mermaid cup (I believe it's called) I like maybe because of the girly name. I've seen the emerald crab eating on that stuff tho he's been off that rock since it's sitting upright now. The little bubble ones are ok as well as the bottle brush looking ones. But recently again they've all kinda taken off and if the emerald crab can't get to them imma have to do some maintenance on them. I may want to put some coral in there tho Idk if I could since it sits upright....

Idk do you think that piece is really good for corals?

Also I have that cheato is that the name? Is that ok in a tank I think it needs lots of calcium?

Emerald crabs will help prune it for you. But sometimes that allows it to spread to other rocks (it is often difficult to contain macro). Sure, if you want, coral could grow on that rock.

Ahhh I see. I'll have to stay on top of it then and prune it more myself then so that it's not ending up every where! I want as much flat space open as possible.

Do you know much about ocellaris? Can they become chums with other fish in your tank?

They are good community fish. Although sometimes territorial, they will usually get along with most other fish. They are extremely hardy and live a long time. They don't require a host anemone, but will often hang out in one if available.

They are the only fish I've kept that have bitten me. Once, fairly hard. Hard enough to leave a mark anyway. :)

I notice my purple fire fish steer clear of him so he may have shown then who's boss already. Ha ha ha but he really likes going back to my pearly jaw fish. He doesn't attack him he just trys to swim with him but the jaw fish doesn't really swim lol. So he'll kinda go down to his hole and try to hang out but had to come back out. The jaw fish is surprisingly unafraid of him.

Lol I've heard that they can be very bossy. That was running through my mind as I was siphoning the dirty stuff from some rock he kept swimming up to me checking everything out then following it up when I brought it out.

I wonder if it will host the Duncan when it gets bigger...

I wonder if it will host the Duncan when it gets bigger...

Maybe, you can't really predict what they will do. :unsure:

As neat as it would be for him to host something I enjoy seeing him swim around. But Oscar my jaw fish is my favorite....

• 1 month later...

I just bought live rock from a rock dealer. Said it is good to drop in the tank. He had it in a 500 gallon tank with clowns, dragonets and starfish. Is it ok to take live rock form an established tank and place it in your tank?

It should be. However, whenever I get rock from an unknown source, I generally place it in a container of saltwater with a powerhead for a couple of days. Then I check it for ammonia before putting it in my tank. This also give you a little time to observe it for pests.

Archived