Cultivated Reef

How many water changes has one made in a day? Hhheeeaaaalllllppp!

Blr26995

Also my live coral is bubbling like crazy that's a good sign right?

I'm not sure. Can you tell us more about what you are seeing (or maybe get a good close up pic)? My first guess is that it's algae pearling.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure. Can you tell us more about what you are seeing (or maybe get a good close up pic)? My first guess is that it's algae pearling.

I think you're right

1468453999274-1519207326_zpsquabzfja.jpg

1468454147479376973769_zpsdd4pkjoo.jpg

Well, your algae is happy. I'm sure the ammonia and additional nitrate is causing this. While we generally don't like to encourage algae growth, it isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

The ammonia will take care of itself, but you will have to watch nitrate and phosphate levels. Do you have a phosphate test kit yet?

Ph kit?

So looks like I'm picking up the pump stuff tomorrow morning. I'll pull everything apart then.

It's only popped up since my water has been bad

I'm out right now if it's something I should get direct me on what to get please.

No, not pH, phosphate. I'd either get a Salifert phosphate kit, or a Hanna ULR Phosphorus Checker. High phosphate tends to cause excessive algae growth, so you can see why I'm wondering about phosphate.

You want to keep phosphate between 0.01 and 0.03 ppm. However, there's a catch, an algae bloom consumes the inorganic phosphate in the water, so readings often appear low when there is an algae bloom. However, despite the low readings, you could still have a phosphate problem.

Water changes will export some, but usually not enough to make much of a difference. If you have a reactor, you can run granular ferric oxide (GFO). If you don't have a reactor, you can run Seachem Phosguard in a media bag.

When using chemical media to reduce phosphate, you should continue to test levels. This will tell you when to replace it. Also, if you have corals, you don't want to strip out too much, as the symbiotic algae in coral will use phosphate to provide energy to the host coral.

Do some testing to see if you can detect a problem before you start using chemical media. If you want to get rid of the algae, I suggest starting with manual removal, snails, and nutrient control. However, you might not wish to eradicate the algae, but just control it better.

Well couldn't find any phosphate kits at any of the lfs so I'll order one you suggested. Rock is separated these are the tank numbers before water change. Doing that now I'll recheck tonight. Hopefully it starts improving by then.

1468528187265477558611_zps5wwrbqzq.jpg

Good! I expect that the ammonia will be gone by this time tomorrow, but I'm interested to see how it will look like tonight. If you are up to it, can you also please test the water of the rocks that you removed (and post a pic of the results)? Thanks.

Rock water

20160714_221848_zpsajtnve6s.jpg

Tank water ammonia and nitrate are down I'm sure as part of the water change. But yay!!!

1468552823125381286704_zpsjp0m7nzx.jpg

Whatever works for you. I'm just curious.

Here they are all together even nitrite is better.

1468553185983999469607_zpsplbzhwa7.jpg

Thanks for doing that!

Water changes will only drop the level by the percent of the water change. So if the ammonia level was 0.25ppm and you did a 25% water change (which is pretty big), the level should drop to 0.19ppm (a difference that's hardly even noticeable by an ammonia test kit). I expect you'll see an even greater improvement tomorrow.

I believe that you dosed Prime in your display. This might throw off your tests a bit, but I'd still be interested to see if there is further improvement tomorrow.

I purchased dry "live" rock from a dealer (sounds illegal) whom when asked if it'd effect my tank said no just add it in there. I told him I had read it'll cause a spike he said no he's never had issues it'll be fine.

Wow! Just look at the ammonia in the rock water. I'm glad you took it out.

Yes I did does the tank once. Ugghhh I'm so glad I took it out also what a head ache with the water changes. Driving almost an hour for a used pump and heater was worth it. I feel a bit better now. Also i seemed to read warmer temp helps the cycle speed up a bit I should keep the water the same temp as the tank right?

It's not necessary, but sure. If I had a spare heater, I'd use it in the bucket that's curing the rock (set to around 80 degrees).

K I think I'll kick it up a bit.

I'll up date again tomorrow. With testing.

Also I've noticed a bit of red algae on a few small spots do I need to pull it off or just keep an eye on it?

I get a kick out of the Kid's Crest. :lol:

So for the rock water, I read it as 1.0ppm ammonia; and for your tank water, close to undetectable.

Would you be so kind as to post another ammonia test result pic of your tank water sometime this weekend? Maybe like this Sunday. It has clearly come down, but I'd still like to see how it looks like after a couple more days.

How's your tank doing? All of your livestock holding up? Enjoy your worry free weekend!

I get a kick out of the Kid's Crest. :lol:

So for the rock water, I read it as 1.0ppm ammonia; and for your tank water, close to undetectable.

Would you be so kind as to post another ammonia test result pic of your tank water sometime this weekend? Maybe like this Sunday. It has clearly come down, but I'd still like to see how it looks like after a couple more days.

How's your tank doing? All of your livestock holding up? Enjoy your worry free weekend!

Ha ha ha I know. For some reason my daughter has been brushing her teeth in the kitchen I think she's worried she'll miss something ,it's on my table so I keep grabbing it. I sure can just picture if tank ammonia? Yes it's all pretty much back to normal. Everyone in the track is looking good! A bit more energetic and happy which makes me happy!! Yay

Thanks you as well I'll post tank ammonia Sunday.

I'm glad that I might have helped you.

just picture of tank ammonia?

I don't want to impose. Sure, I'd be interested to see how high the rocks spike too, but I'll leave that up to you. I don't want to take up more of your time, if you weren't planning on testing it.

I'm glad that I might have helped you.I don't want to impose. Sure, I'd be interested to see how high the rocks spike too, but I'll leave that up to you. I don't want to take up more of your time, if you weren't planning on testing it.

You've helped so much ! Thank you thank you thank you!

I'm interested as well. So I'll be testing it either way to see what it does.

Update tank water

20160717_221808_HDR_zpseuaftiiz.jpg

Rock water

20160717_222020_zps3znqztfs.jpg

Boy this cycle stuff sure is a process....

It's going on 11 days since the rock started cycling.

Awesome! Thanks for posting those results! Looks to me that your main tank is now ammonia and nitrite free, while the rock water has climbed above 1ppm of ammonia. It might be awhile before those rocks have fully cured/cycled.

If you are up for an experiment, I'd love for you to continue to monitor the rock water. And as soon as it is clear that the ammonia level is coming down, change out all the water in that container and see if the ammonia level doesn't climb back up any.

After you have verified that the ammonia level is stable at 0ppm, then you can put the rocks back in your tank. You've been a good sport throughout this. I know you really didn't want to tear your aquascape apart, but you listened to my suggestions and diligently posted test results. Thank you.

Yea I was gonna ask about that. Thinking back in on your link I'm guessing it will take longer because u kept breaking the cycle with water changes? And I'll definitely will be posting updates. I'm curious to see if it will spike again after the full water change. I'll continue with testing and posting. I'm turning into a mad scientist lol. It's fun!

Tank is great other then the stinking algae... I lost my only turbo snail and boy those guys put in work but this is the second one I've lost... Funny I lost him after the water got better. They cleaned my rock better then my margarita snails... Idk if I should give anthems a try or try a different snail.... Tho I've read they can be very sensitive.

Ain't nothing going into my tank till it's all zeros!!! Curious tho do you still do water changes on water even if numbers are good? I'm assuming maintenance small water change to suck up debris?

Getting in New lighting hopefully tomorrow so will be nodding hood a bit so it can fit. And new pump... It's been two weeks waiting on this silly pump... I'll need to moderate the light schedule right so my inhabitants don't get too shocked from the new light correct?

Archived