Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Setting up my Ai Prime today-not sure about settings

Clown79

Getting both phones and computer to connect was an issue- so glad hubby is a techy because I'm not.

Actually I do plan on providing the instructions in a thread on its own- the i instructions are so helpful!

With all the online complaints regarding the app and lack of instruction- ppl should complain so the company can work on the issues

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
squamptonbc

There seems to be a trend in just about everything these days to overly complicate things, I just don't see the appeal or attraction to using an app to control a light...lol

Will suck if these companies ever go under, I suppose the lights become a pricey paper weight...

I got it set up fine, I just hate the forced use of an app or website to control it.

I'll keep it til it dies, but I likely won't buy another product from this company, and the forced up sell for a mount to hold the thing is super annoying.

100% agree.

Both me and the hubby said the same thing.

For the price you pay:

1. It should come with full step by step instructions- not everyone is tech saavy.
The lack of them says a lot to me.

2. The app control. Not everyone uses apps, not everyone lives by the phone. This is limiting.
There should be app, computer, and remote control- a small remote control would cost nothing to add to the system.

3. The hanging harness should come with the light. The light is usesless without it!
That is called forced upselling.

4. There should be premade settings because no one really knows where they should start with this light.

The lighting and control of lighting is great but the company needs to fix a few things before I would say "I love the light."
The thing that really discourages me regarding the company.

I found a step by step instruction manual on the prime and hydra- written by a product user. Its a book, thats how detailed it had to be and on EVERY aspect of the lights.

The company who profits doesn't offer this to its actual customers?

With the volume of complaints online regarding the app, lack of instruction, and ease of use- its not the consumer.

If my husband can build computers, networking, etc etc- its not the user.

If a $20 filter can come with instructions- so should a $300 light.

MainelyReefer

I feel like it should be said, if someone is reading this and considering buying an AI Prime, setting up the light is so easy. I honestly am not sure what the other people are experiencing difficulty with as it is straight forward as can be(my guess is they are older than 30). Great Light, bad users

squamptonbc

I feel like it should be said, if someone is reading this and considering buying an AI Prime, setting up the light is so easy. I honestly am not sure what the other people are experiencing difficulty with as it is straight forward as can be(my guess is they are older than 30). Great Light, bad users

I agree its easy to set up, just annoying they force you to use an app or computer to control it, that should be optional and not forced on the user.

I agree its easy to set up, just annoying they force you to use an app or computer to control it, that should be optional and not forced on the user.

i am pretty sure you can use it without the app or computer. I could be wrong but if it's like the other ai lights you can ramp it up I think 5 times from 10% to 100% by pressing the little button on the light. A light with these features needs some sort of interface to get all the controllability. For its size a controller built into the light would take away from its pretty factor. I personaly love the fact that I can control it with my computer or even my apex. The controllability of this light is why I didn't purchase a Kessil. If you want a nice light that has old school on off and knobs to control it Manuel style look at the Kessil.
squamptonbc

There is a button on the prime? If there its not obvious and I dont see one anywhere...lol If there is one, can someone point out where, I checked the top, sides and bottom and no obvious button anywhere.

If the Kessil was the same price as the prime was, I would have but at 298 dollars plus another $50 for the arm to hold the light, its beyond my budget, even the 227 for the prime was pushing it. It was simply bought because it was the lowest cost light at the time I needed one.

(All prices in CAD$)

For my needs, I would have been happy with a Current USA, but they don't appear to make any under 18" and the 18-24" would have looked silly on my tank.

i am pretty sure you can use it without the app or computer. I could be wrong but if it's like the other ai lights you can ramp it up I think 5 times from 10% to 100% by pressing the little button on the light. A light with these features needs some sort of interface to get all the controllability. For its size a controller built into the light would take away from its pretty factor. I personaly love the fact that I can control it with my computer or even my apex. The controllability of this light is why I didn't purchase a Kessil. If you want a nice light that has old school on off and knobs to control it Manuel style look at the Kessil.

I think its very rude to use age discrimination as a cause for difficulty and its also rude to insinuate the user. If you read my issues and posts- my husband is a techy and he thinks the app is BS!

Use common sense- if there are complaints on every forum regarding the app and lack of instruction- multiple pages of it including AI's site with issues- its not the ppl.

My light is working, I got it to work the issue is lack of instructions.

Every other product comes with instructions, except the most expensive item i have purchased...makes little sense

Clown, even though you had some trouble, I just sprung for one after seeing this thread and research them. I hear they are amazing, even in the absence of directions.

I got an HD since it was new. I'll report back if I have issues. I'm a database administrator, so a wee bit techy. Hopefully it isn't too bad, but it took me an hour to get a wifi printer working so...

There is a button on the prime? If there its not obvious and I dont see one anywhere...lol If there is one, can someone point out where, I checked the top, sides and bottom and no obvious button anywhere.

If the Kessil was the same price as the prime was, I would have but at 298 dollars plus another $50 for the arm to hold the light, its beyond my budget, even the 227 for the prime was pushing it. It was simply bought because it was the lowest cost light at the time I needed one.

(All prices in CAD$)

For my needs, I would have been happy with a Current USA, but they don't appear to make any under 18" and the 18-24" would have looked silly on my tank.

I think the manual light switch on button is the reset button, one 'light' press turns the light on, each light press increases the intensity up to 100%, ( four or five light presses, then it circles back to the first intensity). I think this only works in set up mode/ straight out of the box.

So i guess if you don't connect the light, you can still use it, just push the button to get a rough light intensity...

erinmegan85

Well, being an old fart at the ripe old age of 31 I never said the app was difficult. I just said it wasn't as user friendly as I was expecting it to be. Like I said, I also have a Nanobox, which runs off the Bluefish App. I prefer that app or the AI app hands down. There are more controls, settings, etc, than the AI app. For a light that costs as much as the AI light I have to say their app pretty much sucks. Yes, it's usable, but compared to a different app that is there for the exact same thing I would expect it to be better or similar to that one, and it's not. I also had no trouble getting it to connect to my WiFi. Must be because I'm so close to being 30. :rolleyes:

I know. My ancient age of 37 was the reason for difficulty. Lol.

I guess everyone complaining must be over the hill (30+)

The light is nice, I like the personalization of it but if hydro didn't cost as much as it does - I still prefer t5ho's. I had colour and growth. Kept EVERYTHING under them.

So far my coral colouration with the Ai is no better than my par38. I have better spread but my corals aren't popping, they actually look more dull to me.

I was nervous about the light after this thread, but I am in love with it. Like crazy.

Took 2 minutes to get hooked up. App isn't that bad. Quite easy to use. Could be a little better. Scheduling is a nightmare.

Connecting to WiFi was the hardest, but its because my router is dual band, and I was on the wrong band. It looks like it only can run on 2.4.

The color is amazing. I have the HD.

The app is easy, scheduling I found the same as you, connecting was a b$+×h.

So far I'm overly excited with the colouration. Pinks look brown/tan. The only thing that looks good are reds.

I expected more pop

mitten_reef

The app is easy, scheduling I found the same as you, connecting was a b$+×h.

So far I'm overly excited with the colouration. Pinks look brown/tan. The only thing that looks good are reds.

I expected more pop

Are you using the manual controls for each channels? or using their preset color temperature?

I find anything from the preset 16k Kelvin up to 20k Kelvin will give out enough blue to make the colors "pop". 20k would make the tank very blue, 16k is closer to natural light. According to the preset, 12k is when all LED channels are outputting the same power (very close to daylight on a clear sky day).

If you have trouble getting the right color rendering to your liking, I'd suggest start out with the preset color temperature using their slider (on the web) or the rainbow wheel (in the app). You'll have to select/toggle to "Kelvin" instead "RGB".

squamptonbc

Call me old. but I didn't like the app or website to adjust it, and I also think its a bit too much light for my tank. I want something a bit better then the stock light, but not so high tech as this one.

Guess at 37, I truly am old now....lol

Not happy with it?

I enjoy the programmability of the light but I don't see the reason for all the hype.

I have an Aquamaxx on my 10g at half the price and the colours are great and it was easy to set up.

You might want to look into Coral Compulsion par38 bulbs. They are full spectrum and dimmable. Just screw the bulb in, put it on a timer- no programming.

If your tank is small- 1 of these will be good

Two hours to connect? Wow! Took mine about ten- fifteen mins. Could be poor wifi connection?

Took me about 5 minutes to connect as well.

Took me about 5 minutes to connect as well.

Yea really easy. I think the fact that it can't connect to 5.0GHz on dual band routers is the problem people might have.

The app is actually easy too. I was wrong about the schedule, I used the easy schedule and adjusted it slightly.

I have it on an ~8 gallon cube and its going to be the perfect light. It blows my old Par30 out of the water at 30% power.

Yea really easy. I think the fact that it can't connect to 5.0GHz on dual band routers is the problem people might have.

The app is actually easy too. I was wrong about the schedule, I used the easy schedule and adjusted it slightly.

I have it on an ~8 gallon cube and its going to be the perfect light. It blows my old Par30 out of the water at 30% power.

Not sure why people hate it. It's very easy to set up and at 200 dollars can't beat it. My tank seems to be flourishing for such a crappy light.

95554654-D504-4B28-A351-C0CDC5DCE955.jpg

This is my fourth reef tank, and by far this is my favorite light. I have had PC, T5, and Par30 and Par38 LED. The Par30 I had was a BoostLED, and that thing seems to grow everything. This light has so much more power, and the customization is damn near unlimited.

I don't understand how anyone could complain about that. You coral doesn't look good? Adjust the lights.

I'd show you my tank, but it has no water in it. Currently its a light hanging over a cube with a few pieces of my dead pet rock.

Archived