Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rhodactis

Bamzam

Hi,

I got my first mushroom, a ring of fire rhodactis. It's growing off the side of the plug so I think I want to take it off the plug. I've never owned a mushroom so sorry for the noob question...but what is this rock part behind the mushroom on the center of the plug? Is this part of the mushroom?

Thanks!

rtzP9jLl.jpg

quiddmobile

no, i think that's a piece of live rock rubble that the mushroom might be attached on. if it is attached to the rock and not the plug, it might be easy for you to remove the plug and place the mushroom where you want because you just need to move that rock to where you like it.

if the mushroom is attached to the plug instead of the rock, it might be a little harder because you'll have a free floating mushroom that is easily blown around by the current unless you manually fix it to something else like that rock

Reef Hollister

Don't remove it from the plug. They are very hard to get back attached sometimes. Like the previous poster said, if it is attached to a rock which is attached to a plug, separate the rock from the plug and attach where you like. I'll go so far now as to just whittle a plug down with shears as much as I can and glue what is left in place to keep from having a free floating mushroom. The prettiest mushroom I have ever had is somewhere in my tank now and I have no idea where. I literally tried everything to get him to attach. Finally just gave up and let him go where the current takes him. He's been loose for a couple of months now. I just hope it shows back up someday.

Archived