Pod Your Reef

Help with fish and feeding please.

Blr26995

So I purchased a golden stripe maroon clownfish. I did read they can be aggressive? I have him in a 24 gallon tank. Kinda worried about the aggression part the more I read but I don't know if I should chicken out and return it or keep it does this sound bad of me? Thoughts on this welcomed please. I'm planning on getting a yellow head jaw fish and possibly a blenny or six line as well (possibly). This will be more corals then fish.

Main question is I purchased mysis shrimp and the store recommend this new era food. I've had him about 3 days and offered just a little of both only because he showed no interest in either. Could it just be that he's still new and getting used to things? Sorry if I'm being a dead horse with another clown fish post. Maybe I should try pellets? Any input on either of these would be great and welcomed!

20160709_110714_zpspheunvlq.jpg

Look how cute he is... These guys really aggressive??? ?

1468090915235-524819930_zpsvbsolo9s.jpg

Keep trying different food until he eats- pellets, mysis, brine shrimp, anything :)

Yea I think I'm gonna make a trip back to the store and get some pellets and brine. What brand pellets are good to look for?

yes maroons can be very aggressive and grow much larger than other clownfish. Best bet to get any new fish feeding is to give variations as said above. I forget the name but I personally feed pellets with the blue label and yellow lettering, I think it is called omega something or other... in addition i feed a filter feeder formula which usually get the fish hunting around (and smaller fish seem to love grabbing chunks of it) along with bbs and frozen mysis.

I would think you might have troubles with aggression, especially adding the less agressive fish last. Maybe if you want to kee him, see if the LFS can hold him for you while you add the less agressive fish first. This way they can settle and maybe when you add the maroon back in, you won't see as much agression.

And yeah like Patback said - they can get big. One of the stores near me has one that is literally about 5"

My fish like new life spectrum pellets and also Rod's food.

Yep those things are the biggest pain in the ass clownfish out there......I saw a guy bring a pair into a local store the female was 3 inches at least and looked like it had a killer attitude. He even said he could not put anything in the tank with them or she would go after it.

Good luck and hopefully yours doesn't go postal......

Aww man.... I may go buy there and talk to them today I have to return a jug. They don't have a fish policy but I'll ask. Hopefully they will let me possibly bring it in. Thanks for the food info and extra fish info. Really it validates what I've been seeing recently. I want a peaceful tank. I should have asked here first. Facebook groups stink no one wants to answer extra questions ... Thanks!!!

Archived