Top Shelf Aquatics

Are these levels normal for a cycling tank?

mgkg327

Ammonia: ~.50

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: ~10

This is a 10g saltwater tank started with live rock, live sand, and Fluval cycle almost a week ago. I didn't think I could have nitrates until ammonia was near zero. And I don't think I've had any nitrite readings past zero but haven't been checking them as frequently as ammonia. Does this mean I'm not even to nitrites yet?

If you haven't been monitoring, start? But if you started with live rock, live sand, AND a bacterial supplement, then I'd question what test kit you're using for ammonia because you should be cycled. The bacterial population may not be robust enough to handle large amounts of die-off, but it's there somewhere, so try feeding the tank or adding ammonium chloride or something. You can add ammonia and use something like Seachem Prime to detoxify it while the bacteria work on it.

brandon429

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/374786-misinformation-and-cycling-your-new-nano-reef-tank/

the insanity there has direct applications to your measured cycle levels.

how were measures verified

are there living things on the rocks like coralline and open fanworms, or is the rock bone white? pics

the fact you have nitrates indicates skip cycling, the basis for the insanity in that link. the stated ammonia measures are the other portion up for review in that link.

what kind of test kit do you have for ammonia

that thread exists because you got questionable levels that didn't seem to line up with todays cycing statements of ammonia and nitrite to zero first, in all kinds of rocks, and nitrates come last, for all kinds of rocks.

the truth is, that occurs for 50% of the kinds of rocks we use. you likely have the other half :) good luck deciphering all that lol.

if any of it was clear, your tests would indicate exactly the first expected sequence, but they did not. in order to be able to discuss your cycle, we actually have to know what kind of rock you have and you started with claimed group B

*adding bottle bac can cause the water itself to generate nitrate due to bac in suspension* so the point of our cycling is we can verify if the water vs the substrate (intended) is doing the job.

if you have coralline on your rocks, that changes procedure bigtime.

Archived