ReefCleaners.org

RO/DI drinking water add on...brass(PB free adapter)

kriskristofferzen

kriskristofferzen

I am getting back to reefing after a year and some change. Looking at using

a brass splitter that is lead free; to source the water coming from my cold water

washing machine piping outlet.

I plan on adding a drinking kit to the unit. Either a Buckeye Hydro or BRS RO/DI

and add the kit.

My question, is it safe for drinking water to use a splitter that is made from brass to

feed the system..... if we are getting drinking was as well from it?

Ive read about the california law regarding NSF certification and Im wanting

to make sure this is potable water. The splitter is lead free as mentioned.

At this time I can pierce a separate pipe or use a faucet it has to come from

the washer.

Thanks!

JavaJacketOC

I'm currently doing the same setup. I have a 5 stage RODI and I am getting 0 TDS. If you plan to not use DI for your drinking water I think you'd be fine, you'll probably be getting low double digit TDS from that setup without the DI.

Most faucets contain some lead. California AB1953 defines lead-free as containing less than 0.25% lead content by weight. But add to that, the RO membrane will reject 95% or more of the lead coming from that line; so I wouldn't worry about it.

MainelyReefer

I am a water filtration technician as my day job so this is right up my alley, if you have a five stage drinking unit and want to tee off the product line to also feed a DI unit I would place a tee before stage five(usually a taste and odor carbon filter) right where it most likely already tees off for the holding tank after leaving the membrane and 4-way valve. Right after the tee put an inline valve to shut on/off the feed to your DI and then on the line leaving the DI I have another shutoff valve for ease of use. As for source of water being fed through a brass fitting, the only times I would be concerned about that would be if there was an unaddressed ph or hardness issue with the water or even salt in the water. And then the membrane would most likely save you anyways if something aggressive in the water did dissolve anything from the fitting.

AZDesertRat

The less expensive version of this is a 1/4" speed fit tee, a 1/4" check valve which is critical and a ball valve unless you already have a float valve or float switches on the DI storage. Follow this diagram, paying attention to the check valve to isolate the pressure tank and TDS creep Kaden water it contains from the DI.

The less expensive version of this is a 1/4" speed fit tee, a 1/4" check valve which is critical and a ball valve unless you already have a float valve or float switches on the DI storage. Follow this diagram, paying attention to the check valve to isolate the pressure tank and TDS creep laden water it contains from the DI.

http://spectrapure.com/huds/4-STAGE-DWK-RODI-NAG.pdf

Looking at using a brass splitter that is lead free; to source the water coming from my cold water washing machine piping outlet.

My question, is it safe [for drinking water] to use a splitter that is made from brass to feed the system..... if we are getting drinking water as well from it?

Yes.

AZ's link/diagram is a good way to setup a RO/DI unit for drinking water. SpectraPure is a vendor that you should at least consider.

Archived