Top Shelf Aquatics

Brown Jelly on Duncan?

ReeferAiden

ReeferAiden

Hi. I have a duncan coral in my tank and i added an alkalinity buffer this morning near the piece. It immediately closed and never opened up again. I dipped the piece and realized it has what looks like brown jelly. My nitrates and phosphates are undetectable, as well as silicates. Let me know if there is anything i can do to save the piece.

http://imgur.com/a/3TLLo

Elizabeth94

Hi. I have a duncan coral in my tank and i added an alkalinity buffer this morning near the piece. It immediately closed and never opened up again. I dipped the piece and realized it has what looks like brown jelly. My nitrates and phosphates are undetectable, as well as silicates. Let me know if there is anything i can do to save the piece.

http://imgur.com/a/3TLLo

Doesn't look too good. What was your alk at BEFORE you added the buffer? And what was it after you added it?

Also would be nice to know your other parameters like Ca, and Mg to start.

ReeferAiden

Doesn't look too good. What was your alk at BEFORE you added the buffer? And what was is after you added it?

Also would be nice to know your other parameters like Ca, and Mg to start.

7.5 before. it was about 7.7-8 after i added. i don't have a Mg test kit but my calcium is 490

Elizabeth94

Hm, so it doesnt seem like you increased it too much.. I increase mine almost .5ppm when I dose daily with no ill effects.

Anything else you have changed the past few days? I would suggest doing an iodine dip for a few mins if your dip wasn't a bacterial dip. Put it in low flow for now and see if anything changes. If your water is on par than it should recover quickly.

ReeferAiden

Hm, so it doesnt seem like you increased it too much.. I increase mine almost .5ppm when I dose daily with no ill effects.

Anything else you have changed the past few days? I would suggest doing an iodine dip for a few mins if your dip wasn't a bacterial dip. Put it in low flow for now and see if anything changes. If your water is on par than it should recover quickly.

no changes. low flow? All i have is seachem reef dip. it is iodine but says it treats bacteria. So, what would you reccomend?

Elizabeth94

Yes, low flow for a couple days. I use Betadine for a dip. It is a medical solution that surgeons use, works wonders on LPS. If it isnt recovering, i would suspect either that your water is off, it does have a nasty infection, or something in the tank is picking at it.

ReeferAiden

Yes, low flow for a couple days. I use Betadine for a dip. It is a medical solution that surgeons use, works wonders on LPS. If it isnt recovering, i would suspect either that your water is off, it does have a nasty infection, or something in the tank is picking at it.

Fortunately, my duncan has made a full recovery. I put it in low flow and it slowly opened up. Thanks for the help!

Elizabeth94

Fortunately, my duncan has made a full recovery. I put it in low flow and it slowly opened up. Thanks for the help!

Thats great news!

Archived