SaltCritters.com

My Fluval Spec EVO

Gilly's Reef

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that 12 gallon EVO released? It looks sweeeet. I remember seeing it last year on reefbuilder but haven't heard about it since.

I'm not sure, they are very nice tanks, we got to see them and they changed the lights for us too.

Gilly's Reef

Hey Nanoman, I'm really confused. I just saw the EVO at Fluvals booth at ReefaPalooza and they have a full canopy top with a touch sensitive light. What you have seems to be a re-designed Fluval Spec V?

Here's a link to what the EVO looks like, the models we saw at RAP had a black top.

https://reefbuilders.com/2014/08/30/fluval-sea-evo12-nano-tank/

Here's another picture. Maybe the 5G comes in the configuration you havem but laregr sizes have the full canopy I mentioned.

CdxY7EwW0AAvyJh.jpg

Yeah i was totally confused too until i did some more research. The fact that Fluval is not really advertising these new designs make it that much more confusing lol

Yeah i was totally confused too until i did some more research. The fact that Fluval is not really advertising these new designs make it that much more confusing lol

I had asked about the "specV" they had on display - they said they changed a few things around, mostly that it has a higher powered return pump.

Gilly's Reef

I had asked about the "specV" they had on display - they said they changed a few things around, mostly that it has a higher powered return pump.

lol definitely the same flow rated pump. I hate it :furious:

Gilly's Reef

oh. Hmm. :(

but the light is awesome so far. No corals yet but of course i will update if you follow along :happy:

I'm not sure, they are very nice tanks, we got to see them and they changed the lights for us too.

What do you mean they changed the lights for you? How's the light on the Evo 12?? I may upgrade to that if the light is good.

What do you mean they changed the lights for you? How's the light on the Evo 12?? I may upgrade to that if the light is good.

The bigger EVOs have a full canopy/hood. It shuts close. The light is built into the canopy, not affixed with an arm.. It has a touch-like sensor for operation, goes from white to blue to both to off. The Fluval Spec V light is a slider switch from what I remember.

They had a new light on one of the EVOs, I think they called it a prism. Remote controlled little spot light which changes colors to give a pop when guests came over.

The prism is an add-on doo hickee like a powerhead would be. It doesn't replace the main light.

Gilly's Reef

The bigger EVOs have a full canopy/hood. It shuts close. The light is built into the canopy, not affixed with an arm.. It has a touch-like sensor for operation, goes from white to blue to both to off. The Fluval Spec V light is a slider switch from what I remember.

They had a new light on one of the EVOs, I think they called it a prism. Remote controlled little spot light which changes colors to give a pop when guests came over.

The prism is an add-on doo hickee like a powerhead would be. It doesn't replace the main light.

the light bar on the new spec is touch sensor as well

Update: Heres a pic for you crazy reefers. Glass is dirty yes.. Nanomag is still in the mail. fcilc5.jpg

Gilly's Reef

Is the light bar 1 watt LEDs I assume?

Not exactly sure. Fluval says 10 watt led's. 10 watts total maybe?

Not bad. I have the wave point "blade" on my jbj 8. And it has 6 blues, and 6 10k whites 12 watts total. Each diode 1 watt a piece. I can't remember what I paid exactly for the light but I know it was more than $50 so $90-$105 is a great deal for tank and lighting. Obviously the thing is limited to what it can grow but it's a cool little tank non the less.

Gilly's Reef

Not bad. I have the wave point "blade" on my jbj 8. And it has 6 blues, and 6 10k whites 12 watts total. Each diode 1 watt a piece. I can't remember what I paid exactly for the light but I know it was more than $50 so $90-$105 is a great deal for tank and lighting. Obviously the thing is limited to what it can grow but it's a cool little tank non the less.

yeah if it can grow some basic stuff, that would be great. Sometimes i hate upgrading right away <_<

Gilly's Reef

lol you selling this already???? what you getting next?

Long story short, Wife got pissed i bought this tank behind her back lol but I'm in the clear now B)

Long story short, Wife got pissed i bought this tank behind her back lol but I'm in the clear now B)

Lol it happens from time to time, if wifey only knew haha!

Gilly's Reef

Update: Alright so two days ago i tested my ammonia and i had some. Today i did a test in the morning and one just now....no ammonia. So i think I'm in the clear?

Gilly's Reef

Update: Purchased some little friends from the LFS. Finally something to look at hahaha Finished my media basket and it is currently running in the tank now. Parameters are perfect and the water is crystal clear. Im considering a small goby for my only fish. Still researching. 2804j13.jpg15pjryp.jpg

Archived