Pod Your Reef

My Fluval Spec EVO

Gilly's Reef

Gilly's Reef

Hello everyone and thanks for stopping by. This is the Fluval Spec V EVO Marine. Released not to long ago and for some reason not advertised much. Many rumors out there. The wife is in the military so I've been doing nano's because of the moves, rental houses, etc. Ive had the original Spec V and did all the mods to it. MJ 606 etc. Im not much of an aquascaper but I'm working on it. Livestock will be minimum because i would like some grow out. Everything will be updated as i go. Feel free to ask questions.

Equipment

Light: stock

Pump: stock

Filtration: diy media basket

Chem. Blue nano

Polyfiter

carbon

Livestock: 4lbs live rock

1 Margarita snails

1 Ceirth snail

1 Nassarius snail

1 Clown

2il1zbm.jpg

2i6kn55.jpg

33xkhgz.jpg

35aln9h.jpg

ei79rq.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gilly's Reef

I rushed to get this running and just realized i forgot to seal the small vent on the bottom of the false wall. :furious: Now i have little to NO surface skim action. Did i screw myself?

Gilly's Reef

Update: Drained the tank and super glued the bottom vent. Surface skim is in full effect. Letting the tank run for the weekend and i will be testing my parameters on Monday. Happy 4th everyone!

duncan-junkie

I really like this tank, totally viewable from 3 sides. Makes me want to get one for my livingroom.....and my LFS is stocking them...hmmmmmm?1 keep us posted, curious how well the stock lights can support corals

Gilly's Reef

Update: I really want to change my filtration right away. I know it will not be sufficient for such a small reef. (not my first reef) Im currently putting together my own media basket with egg crate. I ordered a 5 pack Chempure blue nano and some polyfilter. i will keep using the stock carbon that came with the tank. Im anxious to test my levels tomorrow. Hopefully I'm good to go because i need something other than rock to look at :D

Gilly's Reef

Are you using any bacteria supplement to cycle? Even with using Biospira or Dr. Tim's, it took almost 2 weeks to fully cycle my tanks.

I'm using Biospira but the live rock i picked up from a local supplier has been curing for a month so it shouldn't be too long right?

Gilly's Reef

Update: Happy 4th everyone. Tested my water today. PH 7.7

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

I'm using Biospira but the live rock i picked up from a local supplier has been curing for a month so it shouldn't be too long right?

as long as you see ammonia raise and drop to 0, you are good.

Gilly's Reef

as long as you see ammonia raise and drop to 0, you are good.

its been running for 5 days now and like i said the live rock i got from a buddy has been cycling a month before. Could i have missed the ammonia spike?

its been running for 5 days now and like i said the live rock i got from a buddy has been cycling a month before. Could i have missed the ammonia spike?

What was your source of ammonia? Usually people add a tiny amount of fish flakes or part of a dead shrimp or just pure ammonia to start the cycle. Your tank is fully cycled when it is able to convert 2-4ppm of ammonia overnight to nitrate. Rarely do you see 0 nitrate at the end of a cycle.

Gilly's Reef

What was your source of ammonia? Usually people add a tiny amount of fish flakes or part of a dead shrimp or just pure ammonia to start the cycle. Your tank is fully cycled when it is able to convert 2-4ppm of ammonia overnight to nitrate. Rarely do you see 0 nitrate at the end of a cycle.

the guy i got the rock from said he seeded the rock but I'm not sure with what?

Gilly's Reef

to confirm your tank is cycled, you should add some source of ammonia and make sure it goes back down to 0.

gotcha. i will do this today and update. Thanks buddy

Gilly's Reef

Update: Alright I'm all ready sick of this stock pump. Its not enough. Most likely the same pump in the original Spec V. So I'm upgrading that this week. I drained the tank this morning and added live sand thanks to (ninjamyst) I did not want to end up scraping algae off the bare bottom down the road. Reworked the scape a little and my water is clearing as i type so i will post a picture tonight. Making a DIY media basket as i wait for my Chempure blue to get here. Shoutout to Sal10104 here on the forum for 2 GSP frags and 1 GOW frag. Should be here by Thursday. Other than that i am still deciding on more live stock. I really really would like to get frogspawn. One of my favorites. Any other ideas? Would like to hear your opinions. Stay tuned!

Great looking set up! I have the same exact tank however I did not seal any vent. Did I miss something? Which vent are you referring to? Is that in the instructions? Do you know what the purpose of that vent is?

jtwisconsin

Which vent are you referring to?

There is a small opening under the intake grates towards the bottom. If you seal that up, all the water going into the sump area is forced to go through the intake gates for better surface skimming.

Update: Alright I'm all ready sick of this stock pump. Its not enough. Most likely the same pump in the original Spec V. So I'm upgrading that this week.

I still have my Spec V sitting in my garage - it was my first reef tank. Are you going with a MJ 606 again? I had two of them in my tank and had lots of flow.

I still have my Spec V sitting in my garage - it was my first reef tank. Are you going with a MJ 606 again? I had two of them in my tank and had lots of flow.

you still have those two 606s? they are a hot commodity now.

Hey Nanoman, I'm really confused. I just saw the EVO at Fluvals booth at ReefaPalooza and they have a full canopy top with a touch sensitive light. What you have seems to be a re-designed Fluval Spec V?

Here's a link to what the EVO looks like, the models we saw at RAP had a black top.

https://reefbuilders.com/2014/08/30/fluval-sea-evo12-nano-tank/

Here's another picture. Maybe the 5G comes in the configuration you havem but laregr sizes have the full canopy I mentioned.

CdxY7EwW0AAvyJh.jpg

Update: Alright I'm all ready sick of this stock pump. Its not enough. Most likely the same pump in the original Spec V. So I'm upgrading that this week. I drained the tank this morning and added live sand thanks to (ninjamyst) I did not want to end up scraping algae off the bare bottom down the road. Reworked the scape a little and my water is clearing as i type so i will post a picture tonight. Making a DIY media basket as i wait for my Chempure blue to get here. Shoutout to Sal10104 here on the forum for 2 GSP frags and 1 GOW frag. Should be here by Thursday. Other than that i am still deciding on more live stock. I really really would like to get frogspawn. One of my favorites. Any other ideas? Would like to hear your opinions. Stay tuned!

Glad you got sand. I liked bare bottom because it was easy to vacuum out the detritus and fish poop. But I like the tank soooo much more now with sand. For livestock, frogspawn / hammer would be awesome. Acans will be great too on the sandbed.

Hey Nanoman, I'm really confused. I just saw the EVO at Fluvals booth at ReefaPalooza and they have a full canopy top with a touch sensitive light. What you have seems to be a re-designed Fluval Spec V.

Here's a link to what the EVO looks like, the models we saw at RAP had a black top.

https://reefbuilders.com/2014/08/30/fluval-sea-evo12-nano-tank/

Is that 12 gallon EVO released? It looks sweeeet. I remember seeing it last year on reefbuilder but haven't heard about it since.

Video of both EVO 5 and EVO 12. The EVO 5 is basically a re-designed Spec V.

Archived