Cultivated Reef

Matt's IM Fusion 20: we back

myarmolich

Mesh? So they arent the ones that are like a thick fabric? Hm. Havent seen them in person yet so I assumed they were the thick socks.

same, ive never seen those! I guess at some point though it doesnt really matter. Filter floss is so much cheaper to replace!

Yes, mesh is not the felt one. I had the felt one and they are PITA to clean. The mesh ones I just turn inside out, run under the faucet for a few mins, and all clean. You should not have to replace mesh ones ever so it's even cheaper =P. Filter floss is great too though.

• Like 1

So the seller I ended up purchasing a ghost skimmer from turned out to be a shady ****. In the process of getting a refund now. Unfortunately i'm semi-tempted to splurge and just buy a Neptune Dos for automatic water changes and just skipping the skimmer in general. Any thoughts on skimming vs a 1 gallon water change a day?

Elizabeth94

So the seller I ended up purchasing a ghost skimmer from turned out to be a shady ****. In the process of getting a refund now. Unfortunately i'm semi-tempted to splurge and just buy a Neptune Dos for automatic water changes and just skipping the skimmer in general. Any thoughts on skimming vs a 1 gallon water change a day?

Just get a Smart ATO! Best purchase for small tanks.

http://www.marinedepot.com/AutoAqua_Smart_ATO_Micro_Automatic_Top_Off_System_Auto_Top_Off_Units-AutoAqua-CV12117-FIDPAT-vi.html

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Sorry I totally read that wrong. I thought I read "automatic top offs."

I say go for a skimmer. Water changes on such a small tank are pretty easy once you get a good system going.

• Like 1

Sorry I totally read that wrong. I thought I read "automatic top offs."

I say go for a skimmer. Water changes on such a small tank are pretty easy once you get a good system going.

sorry about that last post, this site doesnt like posting from mobile haha! I will most likely be buying the desktop skimmer again I guess, really disappointed with the seller :/

• Like 1

You've got some great corals in there. I've always wanted a scolly. Very nice.

Thanks! I picked it up really cheap off an eBay auction and he's been one of my favorite things in the tank. Albeit a little less exciting than my never ending trouble with my 7 BTA's :|

• Like 1

Got some updates:

Added a Ghost Skimmer I bought used... So. Many. Microbubbles :(

Also looking for suggestions on test kits that arent Salifert. For whatever reason I have terrible luck with these test kits

• Like 1

If we're talking Alkalinity / Phosphate, I'm very happy with the Hanna checkers (772 & 736). The bonus is if you're near a scientific testing supply distributor the pricing is usually ~10% lower than what a LFS will be selling the checkers and reagents for.

• Like 2

If we're talking Alkalinity / Phosphate, I'm very happy with the Hanna checkers (772 & 736). The bonus is if you're near a scientific testing supply distributor the pricing is usually ~10% lower than what a LFS will be selling the checkers and reagents for.

Have you heard anything about the calcium tester? Im on the fence and im kinda tempted to ball out and buy all Hanna testers haha

I believe you have to dilute the testing sample for Hanna calcium and a couple of others, something I didn't want to start messing with. Using red-sea for Ca & Mg, I find the colour change on the Mg kit far quicker and more distinct than the Calcium.

Marc.The.Shark

Have you heard anything about the calcium tester? Im on the fence and im kinda tempted to ball out and buy all Hanna testers haha

Don't buy the Alk tester, lots of complaints on ease of use other than Kyl above! lol. Ca gets mixed reviews too. I have the Hanna ULR PO4 & it's good.

Plus that tank is awesome, wanna be like you when I grow up!!

• Like 2

Don't buy the Alk tester, lots of complaints on ease of use other than Kyl above! lol. Ca gets mixed reviews too. I have the Hanna ULR PO4 & it's good.

Plus that tank is awesome, wanna be like you when I grow up!!

My tank is far too young to be considered a role model :P

Go crazy with your coral purchases and utilize your already set-up tank's rock and compete with me!

Don't buy the Alk tester, lots of complaints on ease of use

I'm puzzled by this, it's probably the easiest test 'kit' there is. Or is this in regards to the older one where you need to convert to find the DKH?

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

I'm puzzled by this, it's probably the easiest test 'kit' there is. Or is this in regards to the older one where you need to convert to find the DKH?

I'm prob confused with the Ca one. I knew it was one of them! Lol, my bad :)

I'm prob confused with the Ca one. I knew it was one of them! Lol, my bad :)

Yeah, I read that calcium had a bunch of steps and dilution etc, passed on that. Going to give Salifert a try as I'm not happy with the Red Sea Ca colour changing distinctness.

• Like 1

I concur.

I concur.

Hanna Alk checker is the best way to check Alk I've ever tried. The calcium checker is not great, you have to dilute the sample with RODI water and it's prone to give inaccurate results.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I owed you guys an update and some pictures!

Top Down Shot

5yqG8bCl.jpg

The star inhabitants (for now...)

nHwFnNwl.jpg

Acro Alley

4E3BbOgl.jpg

Hella Trumpets

KgpWmUEl.jpg

More Acros

4Wsx8AXl.jpg

• 3 months later...

well she's ugly but she's mine

Srnz8rll.jpg

this tank took an L when i had to move it from my house to college. Most of my SPS died on the way (RIP back acro colony) but my 2 big colonies are still alive along with a few misc pieces here and there. Sorry for not posting I've been ashamed I let my babies die :(

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...
myarmolich

Added a Neptune Dos for auto water changes, got a 10 pack of SPS, and my shit colored sticks are starting to turn into rainbows. lifes getting better :happy:

FkpMxLIl.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good - especially love the clown pair!  Can you share some updated pictures of the whole tank?  Getting some inspiration for our tank! :)

• 2 weeks later...
myarmolich

On 5/22/2017 at 8:26 PM, NStai said:

Looking good - especially love the clown pair!  Can you share some updated pictures of the whole tank?  Getting some inspiration for our tank! :)

here ya go! Ill get a better one once i start seeing more color and i get time to clean up the sanded

*also shameless instagram plug you should follow me ;)

• Like 1