SaltCritters.com

ReefSafe's Lagoon 25: Lots of Euphyllia!

ReefSafeSolutions

ReefSafeSolutions

Quick update, got the Raspberry Pi controller hooked up. Removed the dosing pump for the ATO and hooked up a small return pump. Much more efficient. Working on a new circuit board for the R-Pi and a new enclosure, will post pics next week.

Very stoked not to have to manually top off the tank anymore!

• 2 weeks later...
ReefSafeSolutions

Finally done traveling/dealing with termites and can focus on stocking the tank and getting everything situated. Ordered a Prime HD and mounting bracket, should be plenty for what I plan on having (LPS and softies, zoas, etc). Bracket should be here this evening, light should be here Friday. I'll post an update when everything shows up!

Everything looks great in the tank right now...starting to see the tiny little hydroids that stick to the glass, that's pretty cool. Love the early tank stuff. Also starting to see some algae grow on the rock and sand, I'll be keeping an eye on it, but again, it's early and I don't expect it to be a problem. Time to start thinking about a cleanup crew.

• Like 1
ReefSafeSolutions

Massive update...got the Prime HD in, everything looks great! Awesome little light. Reefer's Garage was having a huge sale today as well so I picked up some new coral. Here are the latest pics:

Full tank shot:

2A79DEF0-ACF6-4035-99A2-90C3F94A94CB_zps

Duncan from my previous endeavor:

87B19951-2E42-4C71-B470-CC9496C0A5C8_zps

New euphyllia...got the hammer in front for $15 today, still opening up. The piece behind it I'm still uncertain of. Looks like a weird hybrid between a torch and a frogspawn or something.

7DB8D3DF-9B29-4295-9014-2932BF8F9BF0_zps

Got this little candy cane for $5!

6D58910F-58ED-4789-B060-C8C5162DEAD6_zps

Acan from my previous endeavor:

B24CEB25-E8E0-439B-8031-40D2D1659CA9_zps

New Acan, $10:

6C5D00E7-4B81-445B-B374-289FD9458E16_zps

New Acan, $15...was sold to me as a rainbow acan:

8DAF53F1-ADBC-4B24-924B-CB284002FB88_zps

And finally, the cardinal! He's an interesting fish...he's started making these weird knocking noises.

4DAF1E2D-E98C-43F9-A941-2A2C4D147752_zps

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Massive update...got the Prime HD in, everything looks great! Awesome little light. Reefer's Garage was having a huge sale today as well so I picked up some new coral. Here are the latest pics:

Full tank shot:

2A79DEF0-ACF6-4035-99A2-90C3F94A94CB_zps

My Prime HD+ did this same disco ball thing (less noticeable in person - but still could see it.) I like my Kessil better but had to shell out the extra money for the controller. Does this bother you?

• Like 1
ReefSafeSolutions

Not at all, I kind of like it! As you said, it is less noticeable in person, and if it started to annoy me, I could lighten up on my surface agitation. I have the return nozzles pointed just below the surface of the water so it really mixes up the surface.

Since I'm here, may as well update. I hate the filter socks, so I CNC'd some media baskets. Not super deep, but I think it will be more than sufficient:

2B2A7B52-353A-4EA1-892A-80AFD29A9DE1_zps

Latest full tank shot:

2E0DC6EB-2217-481D-8FA2-C94DFF873861_zps

I also ditched some rock that I had old frags glued to as a temporary fix for them to recover from the last crash. I built a little frag rack designed to sit in the sand. Cut the acrylic with the CNC router and bent the "legs" that wedge into the sand. Works perfectly:

E2EE3F15-E8CD-49A3-B042-A570671F8EB9_zps

• Like 2
ReefSafeSolutions

Got some new mocha clowns today...it's been about a month since the cardinal was added to the tank, figured it was time. No pics yet, it's too dark to get anything decent. So hopefully pics tomorrow.

But they look awesome! Exactly what I was looking for.

Unfortunately, something is up with my calcium, magnesium, and/or alk...my Euphyllia aren't thrilled, so tomorrow I need to figure out what exactly is happening. Ammonia is 0, phosphate is very low (API test indicates zero, but that's not true as I have algae everywhere), and nitrates are 5-10.

So, we'll see what the mag/cal/alk tests show. My guess, alk is low.

• Like 1
ReefSafeSolutions

Test results:

Alk: 5.6 dKH

Mag: 1240ppm

Didn't bother with calcium because I've been using little seachem cubes and I'm not worried about calcium. I should have tested, but I think getting magnesium up and alk up first is my priority.

Also, evidence of the mochas!

9514AA84-4F9B-4818-B0C3-7C9655ABC4A2_zps

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
ReefSafeSolutions

Water parameters are back in check, things look good. Found a 9-10 head frogspawn colony for $45 and couldn't pass it up. A couple heads are slightly bleached, but color is coming back.

Latest full tank shot, sorry for the iffy quality:

Lagoon%2025%20Full%20Tank%20Shot_zpse9as

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
ReefSafeSolutions

Another big update...found a bunch of decent-to-big sized Euphyllia colonies at a steal of a price. I'd have been losing money if I didn't buy them.

The shots are basically identical, I just like the different fish locations.

E43AA5C5-F1E8-438A-B51F-9CB97F9927C4_zps

97ACE2BE-500C-4466-980E-76907270590A_zps

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
ReefSafeSolutions

I had to start over due to a huge cyano outbreak!  I will update with some pictures later, I kinda fell off the bandwagon as of late with keeping this thread updated!

I cleaned everything out, and put about half the amount of rock in.  I'm dosing 2-part to keep alk/calc constant, and I'm running the IM Ghost Skimmer this time.  So far, mostly good.  I'm having a few issues with my corals all closing up in the afternoon, roughly the same time every day.  But I'll ask about that in a different thread.

Stay tuned!