Cultivated Reef

Which Goby should we get?

NYfishies

Hi all,

Need your advice please! :):rolleyes:

We are looking to add 2 more fish to our Zoa Garden (display tank only).

The system is a 10g DT, 3g FT, and ~7g Sump all plumbed together. There is currently 10 lbs of Bahamas Oolite Arag-Alive! Reef Sand and on Friday I will be adding a bunch of Tropic Eden Reeflakes Grand Select so there will be plenty of sand. There is also about 10 lbs of different types of rock. We run a MP10QD in the DT at 45% max so there is pretty serious flow. That should be considered for choosing fishies. There is a very tight lid (made by smiz) covering the DT.

We have a Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse who lives in our FT.

In the DT we have a Helfrichi Firefish and a Pink Steaked Wrasse together with 2 Pom Pom crabs and a basic CUC.

I feed LRS Reef Frenzy and New Era Aegis Flakes once per day. I also feed Reef Chili & Reef Roids every 3 days for the zoas (Polyp-Booster / Fuel alternating daily).

We have had in the past a Yellow Clown Goby, Tailspot Blenny and Spotted Dragonet. They have since gone to fishy heaven. :( I am thinking of staying away from another Clown Goby or Tailspot Blenny since they like to perch on the rock (which are covered in zoas) thus somewhat irritating the zoas.

I have decided that 1 of the fish needs to be 1 of the below Goby's. I would love your input on their behavior! Each can be paired with a Red Banded / Candy Stripe Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus randalli) which stay very small (2") so perfect for this size tank.

Candy_Stripe_Pistol_Shrimp_ps.jpg

Yasha White Ray Shrimp Goby (Stonogobiops yasha)

image.jpg

Dracula Shrimp Goby (Stonogobiops dracula)

drac.jpg

Pinkbar Goby / Aurora Shrimp Goby (Amblyeleotris aurora)

maxresdefault.jpg

Randall's Goby (Amblyeleotris randalli)

amblyeleotris_randalli.jpg

Flaming Prawn Goby (Discordipinna griessingeri)

Flaming_Prawn_Goby3.jpg

Which would you get?? :happy:

Thank you for your help!!

I'd get the Yasha Shrimp and Goby :)! There colours are so eye catching, Like strawberry swirl sweets <3! Although the flaming prawn goby I have heard is somewhat of a rarity so If you get your hands on one of those that would be amazing. However I don't know if they pair with pistol shrimp if that is something you want :o?

I'd get the Yasha Shrimp and Goby :)! There colours are so eye catching, Like strawberry swirl sweets <3! Although the flaming prawn goby I have heard is somewhat of a rarity so If you get your hands on one of those that would be amazing. However I don't know if they pair with pistol shrimp if that is something you want :o?

I am not heart set on having a pistol in this tank. My concern with the Flaming Prawn is how small it is and how often we will see it. I would rather have a fish with personality than 1 that hide all the time!

I wouldn't get the flaming prawn, simply too small and cryptic for what you're looking for. Aurora shrimp gobies look incredible and Draculas are neat & uncommon. I'd recommend one of those two. Really any of them work.

Out of curiosity why no watchman goby?

However, if I were to pick one out of your current selection, I'd likely go with either the Yasha or Dracula gobies, such beautiful fish.

Reef Hollister

I'm partial to my Yellow Watchman. He always looks like he's mad at something like a grumpy old man. He paired up pretty quickly with my pistol shrimp too.

I love my Flaming Prawn, but it won't pair with the shrimp and I don't see it often, but I like that about it. I have had all of the above Gobys and my favorite would be the Yasha. They have a great personality and pair great with the shrimp.

Out of curiosity why no watchman goby?

However, if I were to pick one out of your current selection, I'd likely go with either the Yasha or Dracula gobies, such beautiful fish.

I'm partial to my Yellow Watchman. He always looks like he's mad at something like a grumpy old man. He paired up pretty quickly with my pistol shrimp too.

Walter, our Yellow Watcman Goby, lives in our mixed reef. We love him! :D

I love my Flaming Prawn, but it won't pair with the shrimp and I don't see it often, but I like that about it. I have had all of the above Gobys and my favorite would be the Yasha. They have a great personality and pair great with the shrimp.

I am so torn! Does the Flaming Prawn just sit on the sand?

I think I am between the Dracula, Yasha or Aurora at this point. That little shrimp is so stinking cute.

The Flaming Prawn just hops around the rocks, but hides most of the day. I usually only see mine early morning before the lights come on. But I can go weeks at a time without seeing it though.

I would recommend getting a yasha goby/pistol shrimp combo. One of my all time favorites.

I had a Yasha/pistol pair as my first fish but it jumped after a few months. It found its way through the small gap. That was last year. I just got another Yasha last week and it found the den where my Randal lives. I haven't seen it since.

I am thinking now that we will try a Yasha/Dracula + Randal trio. Anybody ever try?

I tried multiple pisols before....I bought two separate (not a mated pair) and wow... blood bath, I had to remove one as the other was relentless. Maybe they were both males and pissed off? No idea.

Unsure about the yasha + dracula, I know in the wild sometimes they will share burrows but I also know it is possible for them not to get along. I have seen 8 foot tanks where the two gobies did not like each other one bit and picked opposite sides constantly trying to steal the others shrimp. It's something I have been debating trying myself too.

I think it probably just depends on the personality of the fish and resources available.

I had a Randall's goby before, lovely fish, always out in front of his burrow, has the personality of the yellow watchman, a bit grumpy.

I tried multiple pisols before....I bought two separate (not a mated pair) and wow... blood bath, I had to remove one as the other was relentless. Maybe they were both males and pissed off? No idea.

Unsure about the yasha + dracula, I know in the wild sometimes they will share burrows but I also know it is possible for them not to get along. I have seen 8 foot tanks where the two gobies did not like each other one bit and picked opposite sides constantly trying to steal the others shrimp. It's something I have been debating trying myself too.

I think it probably just depends on the personality of the fish and resources available.

I had a Randall's goby before, lovely fish, always out in front of his burrow, has the personality of the yellow watchman, a bit grumpy.

Oh gosh I am so lost lol. My GF will be devastated if there is hostility in the tank with the 2 gobies sharing the 1 shrimp. Maybe this is not a good idea. Seems most people favor the Yasha...

Look at court jester gobys. Easily one of my favorite fish I have ever kept. Great colors, interesting body shape, always visible, and paired easily with my shrimp

Oh gosh I am so lost lol. My GF will be devastated if there is hostility in the tank with the 2 gobies sharing the 1 shrimp. Maybe this is not a good idea. Seems most people favor the Yasha...

Found this post from 2011, seem like at least 1 or 2 people tried without success: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/259389-hi-fin-red-banded-yasha-goby-compatibility/

I'm guessing if it was an easy thing to pull off, we would see it in peoples tanks more often. The pics I can find seem to be from the wild.

Tamberav had 2 pistols that killed each other, not 2 gobies.

Tamberav had 2 pistols that killed each other, not 2 gobies.

So are we back to saying if I add the 2 gobies and shrimp at the same time there is a good chance of success? Gosh, why do these gobies have to be so darn cute. I just want them all.

SouthFlorida_Tron

I took this shot somehow, really lucky actually, but just being around waiting for their crazy antics is all the more reason why they are the first class goby! Hi-fin is also chill with the pistol shrimp...

8918115240_c06758d099_c.jpgRaawwwwrrrrr! by Jon Llama, on Flickr

Ya I went there earlier which is why I am hopeful again!

I took this shot somehow, really lucky actually, but just being around waiting for their crazy antics is all the more reason why they are the first class goby! Hi-fin is also chill with the pistol shrimp...

8918115240_c06758d099_c.jpgRaawwwwrrrrr! by Jon Llama, on Flickr

Awesome shot!

I am strongly leaning towards just getting the yasha/shrimp combo rather than 2 gobies and 1 shrimp. I would like to add 1 more fish to this tank so I should focus on a different type. Any suggestions for a higher end, rarer nano fish?

SouthFlorida_Tron

Im the last person to ask... the hi-fin i currently have roams an IM10 alone with his shrimp and a single clown rolls in the 34...

Yashas are awesome. Draculas not worth the money. Just get a standard high fin/red handed. Check out the amblyeleotris yanoi. Similar to the pink bar but a little more color and a cooler flagtail.

Archived