Cultivated Reef

Acclimating SPS to Flow

nickkohrn

I bought a few frags this weekend (Pavona, Montipora, Stylophora, and Pocillopora) from Tidal Gardens, which I highly recommend! They were in tanks which seemed like they didn't have a lot of flow throughout. I added them to my tank and they seem to be doing well with the high flow from my MP10 and a bare bottom in my 10-gallon. I notice that when the flow ramps up and changes due to the VorTech's Reef Crest mode that sometimes the polyps on them seem to retract. A few minutes later and they are usually out again, but sometimes they stay retracted for longer. However, it's not full retraction; typically half.

Could it be that the frags are just acclimating to a much higher flow than they are used to? There is quite a bit of encrusting on the frag plugs, which leads me to believe that they have been in the lower flow tank for some time, and then transplanted into my high-flow environment.

I have inspected the frags for pests, but I have not found any. As I said, it seems to happen when a large volume of water is moved as the pump ramps up.

My Stylophora seems to be the only one that takes forever to get full polyp extension. My Pocillopora has great polyp extension, as does my Montipora.

I noticed that everything does close up at night, which seems kind of strange. Maybe I will try broadcast feeding this week to see if it causes polyp extension at night.

I realize that i shouldn't judge the corals' health by polyp extension, but having them close at night seems like it's in opposition of a typical scenario.

I did contact Tudal Gardens this morning to inquire about the water parameters that Than keeps the corals in so that I could try to replicate their previous habitat. He mentioned that the greenhouse sees a six degree temperature swing daily. With the corals having encrusted the plugs very well in his greenhouse, it seems that they are able to handle the swing well.

The Radion lights are currently coming on in Acclimation Mode and the Pocillopora is fully extended, as is the Montipora. I'm looking at the Stylophora and it is definitely extending its polyps, but it seems to be more cautious then the others.

Am I just over-analyzing the situation, or is there something I should be looking for.

I performed a 25% water-change this morning and my calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium are within range. The temperature stays consistent at 80°, and ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all at zero.

I currently use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, but I am ordering Red Sea Coral Pro salt this weekend as I really like their levels of calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium.

This is my first SPS-only tank, so I am trying to be really caution and slow to ensure proper acclimation and husbandry.

Am I just over-thinking everything? Should I just give it longer into the acclimation period before stressing out about it as these frags have only been in the tank since Sunday (6/26/16).

I woke up this morning and all polyps were closed, but they were soon extended after a few minutes of the light being on. I ordered some Reef-Roids this morning so hopefully I can get them trained to eat in the evening. I still find it a little odd that they close up when the lights turn off and then open up when it comes on.

Slowtwitch

Give them some time. If they were truly upset you'd already know it because there would be no pe and or they'd be receding. Deep breath. Go slow.

Give them some time. If they were truly upset you'd already know it because there would be no pe and or they'd be receding. Deep breath. Go slow.

Thanks! I guess I just need a little more patience. With it being my first endeavor into SPS, I was, and still am, unsure about their typical behavior. But based on other threads, I see that acclimation can take a while. I'll definitely give them more time to see how they respond.

HarryPotter

Don't over analyze, and make sure the tank isn't "too" clean. You've tested low range phosphates and nitrates?

Don't over analyze, and make sure the tank isn't "too" clean. You've tested low range phosphates and nitrates?

My nitrates are reading 0 at the moment. My phosphate test kit will be here early next week, so I'll see what that reads. That's also when I receive my Reef-Roids to start target feeding a couple times per week. As I won't have fish, my clean-up crew and target feeding will be providing nutrients.

If your nitrate is reading 0 and your po4 turns out to be low also, red sea pro is the last salt you will want to use for sps because it mixes high in alk. In Ultra low nutrient systems, you want to run your alk 7-8 dhk or you will risk burnt tips or worse. The red sea blue bucket would be a better choice of salt

Archived