Cultivated Reef

Clowns and damsels

haleigho

damsel = dick

don't buy one. i had a yellow tang, 1 snowflake clownfish, and 1 damsel in a 95 gal and the damsel killed the damn clownfish

I have a blue damsel in a tank with a tomato clown and a dottyback. The blue damsel keeps to herself, I have had her for about 7 years now. Clown fish are damsels just a milder temper one most of the time. Each fish has a different personality you might get one that will try and kill anything and everything you put in the tank or you might get one like I have a fish that keeps to itself. Have a backup plan if it doesn't work out. I have a damsel as a sump monster because it is down right nasty, I got it after my friend decided it was to mean and was going to take it back to the store,

I have a pair of perculas in with a couple yellow tail damsels and never have any issues. I think as long as you stick with one of the Chrysiptera types you'll be fine.

Cencalfishguy56

Thoughts / experiences with a pair of clowns and a single blue damsel in a 50 long tank.

have an occ pair and jewel damsel no issues

It really depends on the type of damsel. Some are devils some are ok. I have own azure damsels and sapphire damsels and have found them both to be peaceful. Even a yellow tail would be fin in that size tank.

REEFerMAdNESS88

I have a single Occelarus and a blue fin damsel ( a more aggressive type) in a 29bc. Not only do they tolerate each other but are damn near inseparable( Que Queens "Your my Best friend"). I think a big factor hear is stocking order. The clown came first establishing her territory and than the damsel about a week later. I had originally purchased 2 clowns at the same time but one jumped from the tank im assuming do to the aggression of the larger one. So then came the damsel and like I said they get along great.

• 1 month later...

I have two tanks,in my 14 gallon biocube,I started with a red firefish,one day my wife really liked this blue fish,so I told the person at my lfs that my wife liked it and I asked her if it would be peaceful with my firefight and she said..of course.so me being a noob I said then ill take that blue fish! It lives with the firefish but makes the firefish wait to eat until he's done first and will only give him certain parts of the tank he can roam.I've set traps to catch the sob but it's too clever.and it's too fast to catch with the net.I've backed off of him recently as the two are getting along better,if I could do it over not only would I say no but I'd say hell no........just my opinion.

jedimasterben

I'm really shocked that even in 2016 people still think there is only one species of damsel. Shit, CLOWNFISH are damsels.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair of percs, a royal gramma, YWG, and a yellowtail damsel in a 40 breeder. The percs and the yellowtail have been together for probably 8-9 months. No problems at all. The yellowtail is actually really timid and doesn't bother anyone. The percs were the first fish in the tank so they kinda rule the roost, but aren't necessarily mean to any of the other fish.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair of perculas in with a couple yellow tail damsels and never have any issues. I think as long as you stick with one of the Chrysiptera types you'll be fine.

I have a Nuvo Fusion 20 - was thinking of stocking with a pair of clowns and one yellow tail damsel (I of course asked my hubs what fish he liked at the LFS - he picked out a hippo tang - I thought this might be a good alternative) I've read they are less aggressive and of course the color is spectacular. If I put the clowns in first do you think it will work in this small of a tank?

Yellow Tails aren't that bad. Stay away from sgt. majors and dominos. Kupang damsel you'd be fine with. When I had my IM20 I did a pair of clowns with a yasha goby/pistol. If you're wanting something blue... look at maybe a dottyback? granted they can be super mean too... or gobies. Neon or shark nose would be a good choice.

Archived