Pod Your Reef

Help: Calcium/Alkalinity/Magnesium Out of Range

nickkohrn

I tested my calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium with my new Salifert kits today. The levels definitely seem out of range. I am using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

This is my first time testing, so I definitely want suggestions on what I can do to get the levels in desired ranges.

I have a few SPS frags in the tank that I purchased yesterday. The one that I tried to rescue from a tank last week has gone down hill rapidly. It's mostly white with no polyp extension.

The levels of the aforementioned parameters are as follows:

• Calcium - 500 ppm
  • Alkalinity - 16.6 dKH
  • Magnesium - 1140 ppm

Other tested levels:

• pH - 7.8
  • Ammonia - 0
  • Nitrite - 0
  • Nitrate - 0

I have not dosed anything, as I just received my B-Ionic pack today for dosing. I only have dry rock in the tank with a bare bottom.

Are water changes the only way that I can get these back into range slowly without shocking everything more than I already have?

Well, I made a mistake with the alkalinity. It turns out that I was reading the water line in the syringe rather than the piston's position. My alkalinity is actually 10.2.

NanoReefer147741

What is the freshly mixed readings? I'd be surprised if it was 10.2/550/1140 with a pH of 7.8.

The Alkalinity is a bit high, if your nitrates and phosphates are zero (you didn't indicate your phosphate level). With ultra low nutrient systems like yours, you want to be in the 7/8 Alkalinity range.

Dose Mg to get it up to 3x your Ca levels, but I'd go back and double check your Ca again (make sure you are doing it right).

What is the freshly mixed readings? I'd be surprised if it was 10.2/550/1140 with a pH of 7.8.

The Alkalinity is a bit high, if your nitrates and phosphates are zero (you didn't indicate your phosphate level). With ultra low nutrient systems like yours, you want to be in the 7/8 Alkalinity range.

Dose Mg to get it up to 3x your Ca levels, but I'd go back and double check your Ca again (make sure you are doing it right).

I just took readings from a fresh batch of saltwater and the results match the results in my initial post.

I haven't tested phosphates. I still need to pick up a test kit.

NanoReefer147741

I just took readings from a fresh batch of saltwater and the results match the results in my initial post.

I haven't tested phosphates. I still need to pick up a test kit.

Very strange that the Mg reading is so low on a fresh batch. I could be wrong here, since I don't use reef crystals, but I would expect it to be more in the 1300 to 1350 range.

Very strange that the Mg reading is so low on a fresh batch. I could be wrong here, since I don't use reef crystals, but I would expect it to be more in the 1300 to 1350 range.

So, apparently I am an idiot. I keep reading the water line rather than the dang syringe piston's position. Turns out that everything is within range after performing all three tests again.

I appreciate your help! I was worried for a bit. I should be worrying about my brain instead, obviously. :(

Archived