Top Shelf Aquatics

Fishless System Water-Change Frequency

nickkohrn

I have a 10-gallon system that I am intending to be a fishless, SPS-only system. My question is regarding the frequency of water-changes.

I know that I need to replace elements in the water via water-changes, but how often should I do so? Weekly? Since it should be a system that is relatively low on nutrients, do I need to feed the tank with a coral food to provide some nutrients? I don't even have a clean-up-crew because I started with Walt Smith's dry rock and have not had any algae whatsoever.

My suggestion would be a 5-10% change out per week to start with. Since it will be SPS only you will want to watch how you alkalinity changes over time. This will tell you if you need to dose calcium and alkalinity, but it will also tell you you may want to boost the % changed.

Good Luck!

Why? You like mixing salt?

Alk, which is baking soda and calcium which is sidewalk de icer are cheap and easy to dose.

Oh yeah...water changes will introduce more nutrients into your tank in the form of ammonia and silicates because these are contaminants in the manufacturing process.

IronChefItaly

Why? You like mixing salt?

Alk, which is baking soda and calcium which is sidewalk de icer are cheap and easy to dose.

Oh yeah...water changes will introduce more nutrients into your tank in the form of ammonia and silicates because these are contaminants in the manufacturing process.

Why? cause you like to test and pour stuff in your tank every day? Buy a high quality salt mix like H2Ocean or Red Sea Pro and rely on water changes to maintain your parameters until your corals mature and demand dosing. Nothing could be easier and more feasible for a nano system.

blasterman

Id rather test alk once a week and add the right amount of baking soda to put my dKH spot on than drool on myself and rely on a bag of salt likely made in china to fix the problem for me.

Ive used RSP and found it spikes dKH too high, which ticks off my SPS, although not as bad as RC. It also requires mag and potassium suppliments.

There is no global consortium that agrees on what salt mixes are high quality and which ones arent. Its marketing.

Archived