Innovative Marine Aquariums

General water chemistry question.

GueroLoco83

GueroLoco83

Hey all, I'm brand new here. This is my first post, in fact. I came here specifically to ask this question. I've searched the internet for months and haven't come up with an answer. I'll start off with parameters for my tank. Nitrates are between 0-5, phosphate reads 0 but I'm sure there are low amounts present, calc is 460, alk 9, and pH 8. Lighting is a reef radiance led fixture. I keep mostly montipora with a few random corals like a couple of zoa frags, cyphastrea, Duncan, and candy canes to name a few. My tank has been up and running for about 2 and a half years now. Everything is doing really well for the most part but I've encountered somewhat of a "problem." It's in quotations because it's not really a problem as everything is growing well and looking good for the most part but a couple of my corals are doing something that seems a bit odd to me. I have a small plate coral, fungia, that came with a zoa rock I have. It is always super expanded. I see pictures of others plate corals and mine is out of control in comparison. The skeleton is maybe half the size of the flesh of the coral. I can tell because I can see right through it. It has color and when it retracts, if ever it does, the color looks fine. The same sort of thing is happening with my cyphastrea. The flesh, not polyps, is expanded way out sometimes. It's growing super fast though, in fact that's when I began noticing it, when it encrusted the plug and got to the edge I could see like 1/16 of an inch of flesh or more over the skeleton and it's almost transparent. My monti caps and a sunset monti I have are doing the same sort of thing also. It became really noticeable after visiting a local reefers house and his sunset monti looks pretty much like the skeleton of the coral is orange whereas mine looks like there is a thin orange skin over the skeleton. The same thing is true with the two caps I have. They are all growing well, the caps are growing like crazy really, but they look real goofy. This question may be in the wrong forum all together. I was just hoping it was some sort of trace element or something that I could be dosing, which I don't dose anything by the way. Thanks for any help anyone can give me. I'd provide a picture but I don't have any kind of camera that could possibly show you what I mean. It has been driving me nuts for a couple of months now. Thanks again in advance.

Fast growing corals or the type you mention may look like you have described. If everything looks happy and is growing, don't worry too much about it. If you gave us some idea or what salt mix you are using, frequency and percentage change out of water, we might be able to offer more.

Archived