inTank Media Baskets

How do you deal with power outages with your coral reef tank?

punchy

I once had a 5hr power outtage during a heatwave. I was unprepared but lucked out with no issues. I actually used a rurkey baster to create bubbles for oxygen- every 10 mins.

Now I have for power outtage:

Battery run air hose pump - for oxygen

I keep plastic water/pop bottles filled and frozen to cool tank down for summer outtages. Just add the bottle in the tank to cool temp down.

I also have a battery run desk fan to help keep temp down

I keep empty pop/water bottles to fill with hot water to add temp if the outtage is during winter

You can also wrap the tank in a thick blanket to insulate the heat during winter

Or a very large generator will work

My main pump/filter is plugged into a battery backup which will run for about 1 hour if the power goes out. I also keep little bottles of water in the freezer. I've never had to use them, but I also have a couple of little battery operated air pumps that I can use if I need to for my quarantine tank. If we suspect the power will be out for a long period (more than a few hours, as in the case of a hurricane...) then we have a generator to hook up the important things- Tank pump, A/C, refrigerator, TV-In that order!!

Archived