inTank Media Baskets

Low Mag, Cal, KH (any more advice out there)

akashi

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought the salt, i went with the red sea coral pro salt, im mixing about 10 gallons of salt right now i did 4 cups. i made sure to roll the bucket a few times and give it shake before opening and got my scooper and flipped over the salt to make sure it was mixed well before adding into my brute can with my powerhead

mystersyster

I bought the salt, i went with the red sea coral pro salt, im mixing about 10 gallons of salt right now i did 4 cups. i made sure to roll the bucket a few times and give it shake before opening and got my scooper and flipped over the salt to make sure it was mixed well before adding into my brute can with my powerhead

Sweet. I'd honestly just do a five gallon water change and test your levels. They should be pretty decent after that.

35 mins into the mixing for the 10 gallons, @mystersyster should i wait a few hours to test the water, i also need to go buy an cal, and kh kit i only have a salifert magnesium

mystersyster

Each salt has different directions. I think the salt you have only needs to be mixed for around 45 minutes. Regardless make sure the temp and salinity match the water in your tank. Once you do a water change you can test the water about 30 minutes later. I would get a salifert or nyos kit for calcium and alk. They're not too pricey on amazon if you have prime.

i went to my lfs that sold me the water and picked up a cal and alk both salitfet for 40 bucks, and im trying to match the salinty right now, i didnt add enough so im adding a little to get 1.024, and also its kindve hard for me to keep my temperature right because of the stock lighting on th biocube its like the first few inches is a little water than the bottom of the tank, my rapid leds kit arrive will on wednesday

Cencalfishguy56

Each salt has different directions. I think the salt you have only needs to be mixed for around 45 minutes. Regardless make sure the temp and salinity match the water in your tank. Once you do a water change you can test the water about 30 minutes later. I would get a salifert or nyos kit for calcium and alk. They're not too pricey on amazon if you have prime.

thats a long time but then again I'm doing other shit while my waters mixing so maybe it does take that long idk lol
mystersyster

Looking good friend. Reaaalll good. When you start adding corals I suggest, personally, bumping it up to 1.025. That'll bump your levels up slightly.

How old is your tank since it first cycled? How many fish do you have?

Looking good friend. Reaaalll good. When you start adding corals I suggest, personally, bumping it up to 1.025. That'll bump your levels up slightly.

How old is your tank since it first cycled? How many fish do you have?

my tank was a week old, i used the dr tims method, right now i only have 2 clownfish and i ordered a cleaning clew from reefscleaners today since i am going through my diatoms stage right now

mystersyster

Yeah man, hate to say it but your fish store led you astray. A week old is way to young to add any coral. Two clownfish is pushing it, even with Dr. Tims. Stability is key. Most people wait until they go through the diatom stage before they even consider adding a coral. I know it sucks, but as they say, "nothing good comes fast in this hobby". Keep at it, read a ton.

Yeah man, hate to say it but your fish store led you astray. A week old is way to young to add any coral. Two clownfish is pushing it, even with Dr. Tims. Stability is key. Most people wait until they go through the diatom stage before they even consider adding a coral. I know it sucks, but as they say, "nothing good comes fast in this hobby". Keep at it, read a ton.

well as of now my tank is almost a month old, ill wait for the water to evaporate to get me at 1.025 then ill start adding coral, ill try to aim for more hardier corals once my rapidleds get here on wednesday, i also bought a some snails from reefcleaners to go in the tank, and my 2 clown fish are doing awesome swimming at eating very healthy

next live stock im adding to my tank is a live stock and maybe 1 coral, kind of leaning over towards a torch coral, mushrooms, xenias, or some zoas or maybe some gsps idk yet kinda on the edge about adding corals since what happen to my hammerhead and frogspawn. otherwise that my diy solderless rapid led full spectuirm lights come in on wednesday im excited for that

ill wait for the water to evaporate to get me at 1.025 then ill start adding coral,

If you're going to be keeping coral, consider getting an auto top-off system if you won't be around to account for evaporated water two or three times a day. Can I ask what you're using to test salinity, ammonia, alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium? Do you run carbon or other chemical filtration media?

If you're going to be keeping coral, consider getting an auto top-off system if you won't be around to account for evaporated water two or three times a day. Can I ask what you're using to test salinity, ammonia, alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium? Do you run carbon or other chemical filtration media?

i do have hydor smart level auto top off system and for salinity im using a hydrometer, alk cal, and magnesium im using salitfert and for ammonia nirite and nirate im using api and also im running chemipure blue and purigen and filterfloss

i do have hydor smart level auto top off system and for salinity im using a hydrometer, alk cal, and magnesium im using salitfert and for ammonia nirite and nirate im using api and also im running chemipure blue and purigen and filterfloss

Like a swing-arm hydrometer? I'd replace that with a refractometer and calibration fluid, asap. I wouldn't be surprised if your salinity's actually lower, and that's why the parameters seem so low. The swing-arm can get bubbles stuck to it and give false high readings.

no no no sorry i have a refractometer

https://www.amazon.com/Salinity-Refractometer-Aquarium-Seawater-Agriculture/dp/B005ES6MOQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467147823&sr=8-2&keywords=refractometer

This is the refractometer I bought. I would buy calibration fluid as well. This one works well and doesn't break the bank. If you're a baller and got money to spend, by all means buy a fancier one.

Like a swing-arm hydrometer? I'd replace that with a refractometer and calibration fluid, asap. I wouldn't be surprised if your salinity's actually lower, and that's why the parameters seem so low. The swing-arm can get bubbles stuck to it and give false high readings.

sorry i get the names fixed, i got it calibrated and everything

i have that same exact one @mystersyster

Ah, good.

mystersyster

Bueno. Pics plz =]

http://imgur.com/C4BMnzm

here is a small imgur link to show of the 3 photos i just took, not the best pictures have diatoms on my sand bed that making my sand look cluttered and sticky

Bueno. Pics plz =]

http://imgur.com/C4BMnzm

here is a small imgur link to show of the 3 photos i just took, not the best pictures have diatoms on my sand bed that making my sand look cluttered and sticky. wont let upload through the site

New parameters

Salifert kits

Mag - 1300 ppm

Alk - 10/dkh

cal - 375 ppm

sg - 1.024

Api Kits (kind of hard to read these things)

ammonia - sitting between 0 and 0.25ppm its looks more like 0ppm)

nitrite - 0ppm turns to that obvious blue

nirate - 0 ppm - 1ppm that yellowish is kind of tricky to read

i have coral comming in tomorrow

Cencalfishguy56

New parameters

Salifert kits

Mag - 1300 ppm

Alk - 10/dkh

cal - 375 ppm

sg - 1.024

Api Kits (kind of hard to read these things)

ammonia - sitting between 0 and 0.25ppm its looks more like 0ppm)

nitrite - 0ppm turns to that obvious blue

nirate - 0 ppm - 1ppm that yellowish is kind of tricky to read

i have coral comming in tomorrow

thats what I like to see! I noticed my euphyllia i.e. Frogspawn, hammers and torches like a dkh of 8-9, even 7

Archived