Coral Vue Hydros

Beginner 20L Reef Tank

TrooperTK421

TrooperTK421

Is this a 20g tank or 20L?

I would not put liverock rubble in your filter. It will trap detritus and cause issues with nutrients. Carbon and floss is the best option for hob and later if needed phosphate removers. Your liverock is the biological filteration.

Powerhead placement will all depend on the flow in the tank and the corals needs. Until you physically start the tank, its hard to say where your ph and filter will go. I've changed mine 4x's in order to get it to a perfect flow.

I have a 15g with a small filter(i use it for floss/carbon only so i never use larger filters), the flow is on medium on the hob with 2 powerheads. I have 66x flow rate in my tank. For softies aim for 30x's.

Hob returns create a different type of water movement, its downward force so the filter placement to powerhead placement is important to get the "right" flow.

Great tips thanks you! It is a 20L

I have a 20L, run an AC70 with the InTank basket, chemipure Blue + Filter Floss. I have a pair of Clowns and a purple fire fish. I have been debating on getting a goby of some sort.

Thats exactly why I don't use larger filters on the smaller tanks, the force of the water return tends to be too much.

TrooperTK421

I now am starting to re-think everything. :/

I was gonna go with the HOB to run some floss, carbon, and chemi pure. The rock was the initial idea but eventually decided against that. I still am leaning towards the HOB but maybe something smaller?

I also am limited on space and a sump is out of the question for this tank. I was pushing for it but I just don't have the room as this tank will be on a bookshelf in my daughters room.

So do I go small HOB or just two powerheads? Hmmmm

I'm over analyzing all of this just like lighting. :/

There is a local guy selling a IM 16 AIO tank but I've read about issues with them. Was considering that but that has me worried.

20L is 5 gallons. 4 fish is too much for 5g. 1 small goby or tail spot blenny, inverts, and corals is the limit on 5g.

I would do just a small hob filter with carbon and floss. 5lbs liverock in the display with your livesand. You may need to add a pico powerhead.

There can be potential issues with any aquarium. Some models of the Im 16 had issues some didn't.

I would not recommend anything above 5g sitting on a bookshelf.

You don't need a sump. Yes they are good but they do the same thing a hob filter does- sumps provide larger volume of water to work with but not necessary to run a reef.

TrooperTK421

20L is 5 gallons. 4 fish is too much for 5g. 1 small goby or tail spot blenny, inverts, and corals is the limit on 5g.

I would do just a small hob filter with carbon and floss. 5lbs liverock in the display with your livesand. You may need to add a pico powerhead.

There can be potential issues with any aquarium. Some models of the Im 16 had issues some didn't.

I would not recommend anything above 5g sitting on a bookshelf.

You don't need a sump. Yes they are good but they do the same thing a hob filter does- sumps provide larger volume of water to work with but not necessary to run a reef.

No I am running a 20 gallon Long tank. Sorry for any confusion.

TrooperTK421

Quick question. If I go with a lawnmower blenny and no goby, would he still sift through the sand? If not what should I add to help with a little turnover on the sand?

Lawnmowers get pretty big, can be aggressive with other goby/blennies.

They are algae grazers not sand sifters.

There are sand sifting gobies, nassarius snails, sand sifting starfish.

Hermits keep the sand clean too.

If its a shallow sandbed- vacumming it during water changes plus nassarius and hermits will keep it clean.

Archived