Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Red Sea in the Mojave...the Final Hours

vegasgundog

vegasgundog

After starting an advice thread about the Red Sea Max E260, I ended getting it for fathers day a week early. Now that it is wet, I decided I would start a progression thread of my setup. Im hoping for good things. I love the idea of a larger tank but honestly Im feeling a sadness about letting go of my bc29 and fear for my poor clown pair moving them to the E260. Ive been working all weekend getting to this point and the living room no longer looks like a stock room in the back of my favorite LFS.

20160615_144218_zpstqkexwr7.jpg

The scape is just preliminary. The plan is to move as best i can the lr as is from the bc in the same configuration. We will see.

• Like 6
vegasgundog

I had a sixline jump to its death during extended tank maintenence in my bc29. I left the top open and turned my back too long. In preparation for the big move, for 20 bucks at Home Depot.....

20160615_232211_zpskdsksc3m.jpg

I wasnt sure the bird netting would work. It dosnt look bad at all I think. I backed the splining up with hot glue just in case.

vegasgundog

I feel like the cookie monster in the apple comercial asking siri how long for the cookies to be done. Beautiful but deadly collors. I dont know if I will ever feel safe moving everything into the 260.

IMG_20160620_115926_zpstz1h4xwq.jpg

RIP Sebastian

I feel like the cookie monster in the apple comercial asking siri how long for the cookies to be done. Beautiful but deadly collors. I dont know if I will ever feel safe moving everything into the 260.

IMG_20160620_115926_zpstz1h4xwq.jpg

The waiting is the hardest part! I'm sorry about the six line. I, too, am scared about my clowns jumping. Every time I do a water change I always keep counting fish! The worst part is that one of my clowns, when scared, will play dead. Scares me to death. Love the tank so far! I'm looking forward to your experience with this tank.

Nick

• Like 1
vegasgundog

Dripping some cleaners to be in there before for the big move tonight or tomorrow. Organized the scape last night, cant see it from here but there is a big hallow in the rock . Might be kind of cool to fill with zoas maybe. Pile on the right scraps to build supports to lift up the rock out of the sand.

20160627_151517_zpsohtu1xdd.jpg

Probably the last picture ever of the bc 29....almost sad

20160627_153914_zpsq4hcanuu.jpg

Hope im good at puzzles, this is all supposed to fit right in as is.

vegasgundog

After waiting to make sure everything is ready, time to move in!

Aaaaaaand this is the first moment after preparing a container for my largest colony, my birdsnest. Its how the day started.....

20160628_101407_zpsbnarg7nv.jpg.

Shatered.......

vegasgundog

Starting moving as much over without disturbing sandbed

20160628_104946_zps2rg9udo2.jpg

Female was easy, male not so much. Chilling in here, acclimate floating since this might be awhile.

20160628_104953_zpswpgpbys5.jpg

Last rock and rfa who wont give up.....dam its stuborn. Somwhere under that rock is a six line and stary blenny.

20160628_111231_zps8kcz2xhn.jpg

Break time....

20160628_123838_zpsjgqf2noi.jpg

And here it is. I ended up with way more live rock than I wanted. Was impossible to tranfer lr in the same way as it was in the bc, oh well. I think I will not be happy with scape for a while.

20160628_142117_zpspb31ofx5.jpg

• Like 2
vegasgundog

Nice looking blastos you got there.

Thank you, its one of my favorites. Looking at old picks, I think it had the florescent green mouths and dark purple flesh. I think it might be making a baby? When I moved it out, it has a waxy lump sticking out and a small polyp facing the wrong way.

Looks like everything transferred over pretty well.

I love the red sea tanks, and your is shaping up very nicely!

Everything seems to be doing well. Clowns are unsettled, looking for thier power head........

• Like 1
vegasgundog

So as soon as I turned the pumps on, all the brittle stars started sticking their arms out of the rocks....then they ALL crawled out.....

20160628_124405_zps1wlfvkuy.jpg

20160628_124055_zps0x5ipiba.jpg

20160628_124147_zpszooc2wud.jpg

EEEEWWWWW! I dont even want to know whats in the skimmer cup!

:haha:

vegasgundog

Can't wait to see it after the dust settles! Sorry about your birdsnest :/

Suprisingly, the birds nest stayed in mostly three larger pieces. All the shards were from the center die out you realy couldnt see.

Everything seemed ok then I noticed the nassarius snails came out, hunting. Harbingers of doom those things. My cleaner shrimp died sometime today. Thats what they were headed for.

20160629_152822_zpsnpyhk0hh_edit_1467242

Filled bc back up with puting it to use as a quarantine tank until I sell it. First fish cant wait!

Watchman goby

Leopard wrase female

Court jester goby

Hectors goby

• Like 1
Lizzie1324

Nice choice on the fish! Those leopard wrasses are awesome. My local petco got one in, but my tank wasn't ready for fish at the time so one of the employees snagged it!

vegasgundog

Court jester would not eat anything and it's stomach started to sink in. The rainford was being a @#$k to it. I took it back rather than let it die. I ended up with a tailspin blenny and a pair of purple fire fish. Everyone is happy in quarantine and eating like pigs. I love the little Leopard wrasse, thinking of finding a male to add with it.

vegasgundog

Went on a 3 day fly fishing trip to Utah. When I got home, my wife said to never leave her alone again in charge of my aquariums. She said she had nightmares of doing something wrong. Well the back of the rsm was over full. She said the ato wouldn't stop beeping so she added more water....... then my son came in and turned it off.

All ways fought the Korali ato with beeping after over filling or too fast....

20160709_202743_zpspfvjrfmf.jpg

Time to change.

Is that GSP all over the back of the BC29?

How long did it take to cycle the new tank ?

Yup gsp. Tried to peel it off when I broke the bc down. It came back after being dry all day. The rsm may have not had a full cycle. I ran it for two weeks after putting a sponge and 3 cups of sand from the bc in it. I got a spike in ammonia beginning of last week though. But one thing I noticed right away when I got back from fly fishing is the glass in the rsm is absolutely covered in pods.

• Like 1

Haha just realized this is the new red sea max, I didnt think the reefers had the returns in the corners like that.

Hows the SPS going after the move?

vegasgundog

Lol, the Gsp stayed in the bc which I'm using to quarantine new fish. I thought I could peel it off.....not so much. It was dry for most of the day before I filled the bc back up and it is like nothing happened.

• Like 1
  • vegasgundog changed the title to Red Sea in the Mojave