ReefCleaners.org

AV Reefer's 7g Cube

AVReefer

FTS at of 11/10/16:

vz3FRRx.jpg

After a year of research, planning, and negotiation with my SO, I finally set up my first reef tank on Sunday (6/12/16). I've been keeping a high tech planted 6.5g tank for over year with a lot of success. My new setup is side-by-side FW and SW tanks in identical 7g cubes.

Here is my setup and livestock plan:

Equipment (9/23/16)

Tank: AquaMaxx 7.1g cube (12" x 12" x 12")

Lighting: Nano Box Tide Mini

Filtration: 5 lbs live rock, Azoo Mignon 60 filter with Purigen

Substrate: 8 lbs sand

Water Movement: Hydor Koralia Nano 240

Heater: Cobalt 50w

Current Livestock (11/10/16)

1 captive bred Ocellaris clown

2 Gold Coral Banded Shrimp (mated pair)

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

5 Various Hermit Crabs

4 Astrea Snails

1 Porcelain Crab

1 Porcelain Anemone Crab

1 Pom Pom Crab

Also considering:

1 Yasha Goby + 1 Randall's Pistol Shrimp

-or-

2nd Clownfish

Coral (11/10/16)

Green Star Polyp

Green wall hammer

Gold wall Torch

Green Torch

Various Zoa frags

Blue Mushrooms

Duncan Frag

Xenia frag

Various Acans

Green Birdsnest

Birds of Paradise

Montipora

Green Hydnophora

Photo of the initial setup:

YmqWxJt.jpg

Cheers!

Marine Depot

After a year of research, planning, and negotiation with my SO, I finally set up my first reef tank on Sunday (6/12/16). I've been keeping a high tech planted 6.5g tank for over year with a lot of success. My new setup is side-by-side FW and SW tanks in identical 7g cubes.

They both look awesome! :naughtydance:

Using this as a place to log my progress, water chemistry, setup changes, etc. Did my first water chemistry test today and found the following results (API test kit). Also planning on bringing water to the LFS to get a 2nd set of results. Tank has been set up for 6 days.

pH: 7.8

Ammonia: 4.0 mg/L

Nitrites: 1.0 mg/L

Nitrates: 20 mg/L

KH: 11 degrees / 200ppm

Very excited right now! Added a 2nd dose of EasyStart on Monday and it seems that my cycle is nearing completion. I am currently at:

Ammonia: 0.0 mg/L

Nitrites: 0.0 mg/L

Nitrates: 15 mg/L

I think it will be time to get started with livestock soon!

Tank is done cycling! No detectable ammonia, nitrites or nitrates present. Took some water to a trusted LFS and they confirmed. Had a small diatom bloom last week and also some green algae has been growing on the side of the tnak that gets some brief sunlight in the AM. Picked up 4 Astria Snails and 5 hermits for clean up.

Also got my first coral, a Green Star Polyp. It ended up being a little larger than I was anticipating for the spot I had picked out, so I peeled half of it off the plug and placed that in the spot, then sunk the plug in the sand in the other corner of the tank. It was my first time handling a coral so I was really concerned that I had damaged it. Lo and behold, today a bunch of polyps were out! They have receded for the evening though. It will have no issue attaching itself to the live rock, right? Should the polyps come out more in the coming days?

Front view:

XZRhUDr.jpg

Side:

eH2XIY0.jpg

I absolutely love the side-by-side setup! It makes each stand out and really shine.

Thanks! Bonus planted pic:

HasecD9.jpg

Big update! On Saturday (7/9/16) I added a young captive-bred Ocellaris Clownfish and a mated pair of Gold Coral Banded Shrimp. They all appear to have acclimated very well and have been eating since. However I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to be feeding them. The clown seems to eat at least 4-5 Hikari protein pellets but I'm not sure when to stop. The shrimp have gone after some flake food but again, not really sure what they need.

My GSP's polyps are coming out during the day, but only about 1/2" total. I'm not sure if they just need more time to acclimate, or if there is a light or trace element deficiency. My light is definitely powerful enough but it's only at about 60% during the day.

Speaking of trace elements, I also bought Red Sea test kit and just got the following results:

Mg: 1150ppm

Ca: 440ppm

KH: 6.4 (although I'm not totally confident on the result)

Should I be dosing Mg at this point?

Anyway, I would say so far so good. And now for some pics:

FTS

3H3B3I4.jpg

Clownfish

XVQHTZw.jpg

Pair of Gold CBS

vTSNBRH.jpg

Picked up several frags from a local reefer last week on 7/12:

-Blue/Red zoa

-Pink/Red zoa

-Green tip hammer

-Sun polyp

Also picked up the following from 2 different LFS this weekend (7/17):

-Yellow/Green zoa

-Xenia

-Purple tip hammer

-tiny frag of purple tip torch

Tank is really starting to come together. Although I'm thinking I am going to need to start dosing trace elements. Levels are at the following:

Mg: 1140ppm

Ca: 385ppm

KH: 6.4 (still not sure if I am doing this right)

Also placed Hydor Koralia Nano powerhead back in, re-aimed it, corals seem to be very happy with the flow now.

Current FTS:

yeOVDZc.jpg

Since the last post, I picked up a Porcelain Crab :lol: a gold torch :lol: a duncan frag and a blue mushroom. I am very happy with where the livestock is at right now. I also grabbed AquaVitro Mg, Ca and KH doses and started dosing. Unfortunately my levels are still not where I want them to be at, even with dosing and water changes 2x weekly. May up the dosing a little more frequently.

Mg: 1020ppm

Ca: 350ppm

KH: 7.9

FTS:

3mJ5KWh.jpg

Side by side:

II6qf19.jpg

Since the last post, I picked up a Porcelain Crab :lol: a gold torch :lol: a duncan frag and a blue mushroom. I am very happy with where the livestock is at right now. I also grabbed AquaVitro Mg, Ca and KH doses and started dosing. Unfortunately my levels are still not where I want them to be at, even with dosing and water changes 2x weekly. May up the dosing a little more frequently.

Mg: 1020ppm

Ca: 350ppm

KH: 7.9

FTS:

3mJ5KWh.jpg

Side by side:

II6qf19.jpg

Great looking tanks. The side by side is awesome.

The amount of effort you must have put into 'scaping that freshwater tank is legendary, that is like something out of a magazine. As for your mini-reef, it looks like you are off to a great start, and I am excited to see what you can come up with when you have a strong background in aquacaping already. I've always been jealous of folks that have a natural eye for beauty.

The amount of effort you must have put into 'scaping that freshwater tank is legendary, that is like something out of a magazine. As for your mini-reef, it looks like you are off to a great start, and I am excited to see what you can come up with when you have a strong background in aquacaping already. I've always been jealous of folks that have a natural eye for beauty.

Thank you, that is such a nice compliment! The biggest difference I'm seeing so far is just the amount of time it takes things in the reef tank to develop. The planted tank grows so much more quickly. Reefing really takes a lot of patience.

such a clean build! So just natural filtration? No mechanical or chemical?

Thank you!! I love all of your builds, especially the 12.5g TOTM. Definitely one of the reefs that inspired me.

Right now it's just biological filtration. I have played with a couple of small internal filters and a small HOB. I haven't settled on anything yet, but I think I want to end up with something that I can run purigen and phosfiltrum in.

• 1 month later...

It's been 2 months since I've updated. Just haven't had a chance to snap photos, but I've changed several things in the tank recently. I added to the rockscape, creating a swim-through with a piece of branching rock. I've also added some SPS frags a cleaner shrimp, and some acans. I'm very happy with where the tank is at for the 3 month mark.

nV2aWdb.jpg

wxKmMmm.jpg

Obsessed Reefer

Found a fellow Redditor!

Love both tanks, having them side by side is beautiful.

Im not sure how a pistol shrimp would interact with the other three shrimp in the tank, but I think either those or another clown would be a great addition.

Found a fellow Redditor!

Love both tanks, having them side by side is beautiful.

Im not sure how a pistol shrimp would interact with the other three shrimp in the tank, but I think either those or another clown would be a great addition.

Hey! I was really stoked to see my tanks get a lot of love on Reddit today. Thanks for the input - i'd like to see what everything thinks about those final additions before I move forward.

Cencalfishguy56

It's been 2 months since I've updated. Just haven't had a chance to snap photos, but I've changed several things in the tank recently. I added to the rockscape, creating a swim-through with a piece of branching rock. I've also added some SPS frags a cleaner shrimp, and some acans. I'm very happy with where the tank is at for the 3 month mark.

nV2aWdb.jpg

wxKmMmm.jpg

so awesome! Natural filtration is awesome! Do the beta and clown ever look at each other? :lol:

so awesome! Natural filtration is awesome! Do the beta and clown ever look at each other? :lol:

Thanks :D You know I really thought they would...haven't seen it happen yet.

• 1 month later...

Went to the Aquatic Experience show outside of Chiacgo last friday and picked up a couple corals I've been seeking for a while. Was able to grab a beautiful green Aussie wall hammer as well as a couple of zoa colonies and two acans. Very happy with where the tank is at right now.

vz3FRRx.jpg

Top down shot from the left half of the tank:

hiNIZCq.jpg?1

Archived