Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SUMP 20 GALLON LONG Baffle Setup Skimmer/Refugium/Return

BigFears

Hello I am a beginner, this will be my first aquarium and I have a question regarding the build of my sump. I have 10" high 1/4 thick glass, 8" high 1/4 thick glass, & 12" 1/4 thick glass (wont use all pieces). I was thinking on having 3 baffles total in the sump. Starting from the left to right: (water will enter left chamber where skimmer is, center will be the refugium, and right will be the return). I saw a link somewhere that guides you for setting up the sump and I was going to go with this:

I have a octopus skimmer and a sock for the water to enter so I'll need 11" in the first compartment before the first baffle is set. This baffle will be all the way down to the bottom of the sump @ 12" high. The second baffle will be 1.5"-2" away from 1st baffle at 1.5"-2" off the "ground" at 8" high glass. 3rd glass will be 1.5"-2" away from 2nd glass, all the way at the bottom of the sump (ground) at 8" high glass. Then, the refugium compartment will be 7" long and then a 4th baffle at 8" high (all the way at the bottom of the sump) will be used to separate the refugium and the return compartment. The return compartment will be 7" long as well. Is this setup okay?

woops... 2nd baffle at 10" high, 1.5"-2" off "ground"

I've come to the conclusion I will have baffles at 8" in height at a total of 4 baffles. The first "chamber" will be at about 10.25 in width. I am currently working on the layout. I will have a bubble-trapper between the first 3 baffles (between the skimmer section and refugium section) & spaced out 1.75-2" between each baffle. After I get the measurements down, I will show some pictures of the progress

The skimmer is a Reef Octopus Classic 150INT 6” Internal Protein Skimmer and It's difficult to fit in the first chamber with a filter sock... The smallest I can make that compartment with the filter sock is 10.25" and the skimmer is practically up against the glass (skimmer bottom is right along the glass glue that holds the tank walls together, hope this doesn't cause vibration or noise issues when the skimmer is running).

don't be fooled... I got quoted 1/4" thick glass 11.75" Width @ 10" high for $8.00-$10.00. I ended up buying that same glass for $ 15.00. Do your shopping, go to glass-shops in towns that aren't considered "pricy" places. Anyway, two days ago I had the glass I bought, trimmed down to 8.5", 8", and 7.5" high. I have 4 pieces and they're 11.75" in width at 1/4" thick. I am planning on glueing in pieces this weekend. I still need to take pictures of the process.

Archived