Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clownfish breeding with isochrysis galbana

rafastank727

rafastank727

I've been in the hobby for 6 years and currently have a 90g reef set up. For the last year my clownfish have been laying eggs and decided to give it a try of raising them

I know all you guys care about is pictures so here they are

Isochrysis galbana, harder to culture but it definitely pays off.

20160607_230910.jpg

I posted a video of a the pair laying the eggs

Check out the marking on the male clownfish

rafastank727

20160609_065234.jpg

10g set up

Left bucket are rotifiers

Right bucket is brine shrimp, will probably stop culturing them and go with life spectrum fry food

rafastank727

They should laid eggs this Friday, and on the 9th day it'll move the whOle rock with the anemone to the breeding tank.

Once the eggs are hatched I'll remove the rock. Well that's my plan

This is really cool, Rafa!!!!!

Thanks Stella, this is for you!

They should laid eggs this Friday, and on the 9th day it'll move the whOle rock with the anemone to the breeding tank.

Once the eggs are hatched I'll remove the rock. Well that's my plan

Thanks Stella, this is for you!

:) I was so excited to see this thread!!!!

rafastank727

:) I was so excited to see this thread!!!!

Did you see the marking on the male (smaller) clownfish?

It kinda has a dollar sign

Did you see the marking on the male (smaller) clownfish?

It kinda has a dollar sign

I did see that!!! I cannot wait to see the babies as both of your clowns have such pretty markings. But your male is so pretty! Or handsome I guess :)

How did you start culturing the gabana stuff?

rafastank727

I did see that!!! I cannot wait to see the babies as both of your clowns have such pretty markings. But your male is so pretty! Or handsome I guess :)How did you start culturing the gabana stuff?

I started from a small disk culture from Florida Aqua Farms. It's the same process of nannocloprosis, you just have to be careful not to contaminated the culture. So far I haven't loss a culture.

I also dump isochrysis galbana on my tanks and so far I have noticed clear water column and more polyp extension on my sps

rafastank727

No eggs, clownfish are making us wait longer.

I do have some dense isochrysis galbana culture ready for my rotifiers.

PhotoGrid_1466099084675.jpg

10 days later

rafastank727

Finally!!!! Walked home into a big surprise, clownfish clutch is around 100-120 eggs.

See before I decided to raise the eggs, my male clownfish got fin rot and almost didn't make it. So it's very exciting to have eggs again now that I'm prepared

20160617_144323.jpg

Very cool. I'm taking this plunge as well. I am still in the process of building my set up. Taking forever it seems.

Curious if you have a growing out set up or if you are just hatching in the one tank.

Following

rafastank727

Very cool. I'm taking this plunge as well. I am still in the process of building my set up. Taking forever it seems.

Curious if you have a growing out set up or if you are just hatching in the one tank.

Following

I do, it's a 10g set up .check post#2 Once the eggs are almost going to hatch I plan to move the rock with the anemone to the breeding tank. Once they have hatched I'll be moving the rock back to my main tank

20160617_183838.jpg

rafastank727

Cool stuff. Always wanted to try to raise some but seems like ton of work :(

That's whats I always said, it seems hard and too much work.

Plus I know my son is going to love it

• 3 weeks later...

Good looking phyto station. Are you keeping stocks or backups? Always like seeing a fellow breeder and phyto culturist around here. The fact that you got I. galbana going from the disk is impressive. Just curious - not that there's anything wrong with it, but since it's just rots, why the extra effort with live algae, as opposed to an off the shelf growout and enrichment feed such as RGComplete? Is the Isochrysis from FAF T-Iso (Tisochrysis)?

Cool stuff. Always wanted to try to raise some but seems like ton of work :(

You might be surprised! Modern methods of rotifer culture on algal pastes, combined with high quality dry feeds (Otohime/TDO) has dramatically simplified things. Give it a try!

Archived