Cultivated Reef

Salinity keeps rising

darkdancer333

darkdancer333

I upgraded my tank from Bio Cube to a Red Sea 130d. Lately it seems every 2-3 days I add about 1 gal of water due to the evaporation. The problem I am having is that the salinity level in 2 days goes from 1024-1029. There is no salt particles inside the tank they all form on the outside. It's come to the point when the water evaporates I just add distilled water to keep it at normal salinity levels..

Years ago I had 60 gal tank and never had this problem.

AZDesertRat

For top off you should only be adding RO/DI or distilled water. The salt does not evaporate so you only add saltwater when you are doing water changes.

HarryPotter

When water evaporates you HAVE to use fresh water... Not sure what you are saying when you state "It's come to the point when the water evaporates I just add distilled water to keep it at normal salinity levels.." because thats normal for everyone haha

darkdancer333

I didnt know that, in my 14gal i always topped off with pre-mix but now this explains why i was soaring. Someone also mentioned skimmer

my 14gal had the cheap bio-cube skimmer with airs tone an now my redsea has the big skimmer.

Yeah, like the others said, you definitely should be topping off with RO/DI or distilled water. Salt isn't a liquid, therefore doesn't evaporate with the water. By adding freshwater during top off, this accounts for the water that is evaporated and keeps the SG level consistent. Aside from cutting down on manual labor, this is the main reason most of us use ATO systems. Even a 1 point fluctuation in SG is a lot when done so quickly, let alone a 5 pointer.

darkdancer333

adding a gallon of distilled seems like a lot but the fish and coral seem to be ok after

it has a glassy effect when added i can see the difference between the 2

AZDesertRat

I add 3 gallons of RO/DI a week to my 16G nano and 10-15G or more to my 100G. Evaporation is good, it helps cool the tank.

I would just set up an ATO to keep your evaporation in check. It's also a lot easier. That way you're only filling the jug/bucket with water. It's 1 less thing you need to worry about.

Sharbuckle

adding a gallon of distilled seems like a lot but the fish and coral seem to be ok after

Everybody on here will tell you the same thing. Top off with fresh water not salt. Its up to you to believe them or not. When your fish and corals die from adding too much salt maybe you'll understand.

I suggest reading the beginner articles in this site before you continue.

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/_/beginners/maintaining-a-nano-reef-r6

Sharbuckle

Sharbuckle

Sorry if i sounded like a dick. However, if you read the beginner articles, you will have a much greater understanding of the basics. Best of luck.

Hard Softy

Sorry if i sounded like a dick. However, if you read the beginner articles, you will have a much greater understanding of the basics. Best of luck.

With the heat coming evaporation is a lot faster, just top off with fresh ro/di and if no ato, best to do it at least 2 x daily. Wouldn't want the salinity to jump to high. That's just an educated (forums) guess. It is logical though.... right ?

"Looks around"

....lol :)

With the heat coming evaporation is a lot faster, just top off with fresh ro/di and if no ato, best to do it at least 2 x daily. Wouldn't want the salinity to jump to high. That's just an educated (forums) guess. It is logical though.... right ?

"Looks around"

....lol :)

Yeah, this is correct. If you're not using an ATO, you want to try to top off manually 2-3 times per day. This way, your levels won't swing too much.

Wher

I upgraded my tank from Bio Cube to a Red Sea 130d. Lately it seems every 2-3 days I add about 1 gal of water due to the evaporation. The problem I am having is that the salinity level in 2 days goes from 1024-1029. There is no salt particles inside the tank they all form on the outside. It's come to the point when the water evaporates I just add distilled water to keep it at normal salinity levels..

Years ago I had 60 gal tank and never had this problem.

Were topping a 60 gallon reef tank with salt water? lol

• 1 month later...

In elementary school, they had us make petri dishes of salt + water and let them evaporate by the window to show us how the salt was left behind. Someone was clearly doodling in their notebook! :P

• 2 weeks later...
SquishyFishy

Do yourself a favor and get an ATO. It's really tough to keep up with the evap manually. My 29 Gal cube requires quite a bit every day.

Once in a while I forget to turn the ATO back on after a water change...not good. I killed a mandy doing that. It can happen overnight.

When I started my first tank, I read everyday from this forum about how to do it, 4 months later I set up my tank! You need to improve your wealth of Salty knowledge real quick. I am still learning from this bunch! After 2 years....

squamptonbc

Basic science no longer seems to be taught in school or people just are not listening in school...lol

Did the same little experiment as you mention back in the late 80's when I was in 3rd or 4th grade.

In elementary school, they had us make petri dishes of salt + water and let them evaporate by the window to show us how the salt was left behind. Someone was clearly doodling in their notebook! :P

Basic science no longer seems to be taught in school or people just are not listening in school...lol

Did the same little experiment as you mention back in the late 80's when I was in 3rd or 4th grade.

I an imagine not listening is a key problem. I went to college recently and most were busy yaking with friends in texts. And also education is questionable...

Archived