Innovative Marine Aquariums

26 gallon coldwater bowfront

CD_Scapes

This is not a 100% project but I've been thinking about have a 26 Oregon bowfront tank. I was wondering what species I could keep without having to have a chiller as that would destroy the asking if permission for parents I think. Any fish species that would work? I am for sure thinking gunnels and sculpins.

• 4 weeks later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Okay temperate, the upper tidepool animals can live with 90+ conditions for hours sometimes days

You might want to chime in with Stu or Josh on this one? Pushing animals that metabolisms are designed to operate at the 55F degree range make me puzzled on what you are trying to accomplish?

Are you in a basement with the ability to keep the system very cool?

Okay temperate, the upper tidepool animals can live with 90+ conditions for hours sometimes days

When I lose power, the stuff I have from Oregon starts showing stress in upper 70's. I figure even if they are exposed to high temps for awhile, they always get back down to 55-60 degrees but without a chiller, they won't ever reach that optimal temp.

If you can keep the tank without a heater at reasonable temps, say low to mid 70's, you could set up a tank "like a cold water tank" with some unique cold water fish that can take higher temps (kamohara blenny, hulafish, pygmy file fish), maybe ball nem's (I have some that can take high temps), or perhaps some sun corals just to give it a more cold looking look.

I guess what I am asking is, does your house have central air/air conditioning or can the tank be in a basement? I wouldn't expose these animals to 90 degrees but they should do fine at reasonable temps.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Have you considered frozen 2 liter bottles of water to help you out with not having a chiller?

What worries me is the true health of the animals in your system without the ability to keep cold they lack the proper oxygen extraction and will perish.

Archived