inTank Media Baskets

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

wow, those pics are VERY different. i hope they color up soon like the pics.

i really think larger volume is key to stability and coral health, especially for SPS. glad everything is doing so well (minus the coral warfare which can easily be fixed by another bigger tank =P)

I agree, next weekend I'm going to glue them up on the rocks and we'll see what happens in higher light.

A bigger tank makes it way easier to keep sps, like you said, the water volume is key because parameters don't change as quickly.

• Like 1

I like your red planet frag… hopefully it grows well for you. I have a frag of it, and mine is faded and no growth, just encrusted the frag plug in the 4 months I've had it, and nothing else.

Love your maricultured pieces!

• Like 1

fc3646a02beca4bbf6c05e711f81c0eb354d2531

Lol, I loved Top Gear!

I like your red planet frag… hopefully it grows well for you. I have a frag of it, and mine is faded and no growth, just encrusted the frag plug in the 4 months I've had it, and nothing else.

Love your maricultured pieces!

Mine is doing well! I was a little worried that there were some white spots that might have been indications of STN, but it looks like they were either growth tips or shaded areas. Hopefully it will take off, I love the colors.

I am pretty certain the first and second sps are in the wrong order.

Oops, you and Harry are both correct :blush:

And now that I'm looking at them more closely, the colony I have for "Glorious Light" really doesn't look like the wysiwyg picture even with a color change. AquaSD does have multiple frags of the same stuff, but usually the colonies are true wysiwyg. But it does look like it once had the right coloring, it just needs to lighten up. When I brought it up into brighter light to look at it closely, I could see some golden highlights, so I think it will turn out OK eventually.

Here are updated comparison pictures for the two colonies I mixed up:

Emerald Rainbow:

31469407584_b48054acd4_b.jpgEmerald Rainbow by TeenyReef, on Flickr

AquaSD picture:

31934268150_73a88423c7_b.jpgEmeraldRainbow-RetailPrice200SALEPRICE100 7_zpsllgnxwjv by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Glorious Light:

32236925561_c82f697304_b.jpgGlorious Light by TeenyReef, on Flickr

AquaSD picture:

32191753331_b764819e26_b.jpgGloriousLight-RetailPrice100SALEPRICE75_zps4v0dkaop by TeenyReef, on Flickr

No matter how I rotate the picture I can't match up the growth patterns. It will be interesting to see if it colors up like the AquaSD picture, or it I ended up with something else entirely :)

• Like 1

2nd Mari colony looks like a totally different coral from the photo!

All the acros look great, I feel your Frag-rack struggle

That's because it is totally different :lol:

I'm glad acros grow slow, I don't know what I'd do if all these frags turned into colonies next month!

I'm glad acros grow slow, I don't know what I'd do if all these frags turned into colonies next month!

Um get a bigger tank ? Duh......... ;)

• Like 3

Simple, frag them and put the money in the "dream tank" fund. :P

• Like 1

i heard most mariculture colony will turn green then the true color so just hang in there. i am sure they will turn out awesome and then you can sell a 1" frag for $50

IME they're pretty tough but tend to lose colour due to shock from transport and/or if they are in holding at an LFS for a bit long under not so ideal conditions, they do bounce back pretty fast though. All in all I dig them, they're cheaper and super nice generally. :)

There are abunch of maricultured acros at the LFS. They're 50% off, brown and green. Should I splurge on a chance?

I would. :)

• Like 1

Also remember a ton of vendors are shooting with orange filters now. This tends to bring colors out in the photo that may not be there when you receive.

I hate that. It's becoming a trend and it's annoying. I already get annoyed at SPS troughs where your view is restricted to top down view with LEDs blasting at the coral so it looks awesome at the shop but when you bring it home, it doesn't look as vibrant because your viewing angle is from the side.

• Like 3

Also remember a ton of vendors are shooting with orange filters now. This tends to bring colors out in the photo that may not be there when you receive.

I agree - although one of the things I really like about AquaSD is that both times I've ordered from them, the corals really did look exactly like they did in the pictures. Even in this case, the colors of the colonies were a lot closer to the vendor pictures when I first took them out of the box. I'd say half the color change was noticeable out of the box, and the other half happened over a couple of days in the tank.

With the exception of the colonies, every one of the frags looks just like the pictures.

I hate that. It's becoming a trend and it's annoying. I already get annoyed at SPS troughs where your view is restricted to top down view with LEDs blasting at the coral so it looks awesome at the shop but when you bring it home, it doesn't look as vibrant because your viewing angle is from the side.

Yeah, there's always a huge difference between side view and top view, even under normal lighting. As long as they look the same top down in my tank as they did in the pictures, then I think the vendor has made a fair representation of the coral.

But I think your point is that only seeing it top down really doesn't help you be able to tell what it will look like from the side :)

There are abunch of maricultured acros at the LFS. They're 50% off, brown and green. Should I splurge on a chance?

Dooo ittttt!

IME they're pretty tough but tend to lose colour due to shock from transport and/or if they are in holding at an LFS for a bit long under not so ideal conditions, they do bounce back pretty fast though. All in all I dig them, they're cheaper and super nice generally. :)

I would. :)

That's what I'd heard about the maricultured frags too - you just don't really know if they will color back up like they started since tank conditions vary so much. I'm just excited to see what they look like after they color up, it's like a voyage of discovery.

Um get a bigger tank ? Duh......... ;)

baby steps for teeny....4g --> 10g --> 40g --> 100g next???

Simple, frag them and put the money in the "dream tank" fund. :P

I'll admit that's my secret plan. That's how I went from the 10g tank to the 40g tank, after all. But I have two problems:

1. I don't think I want to maintain four SW tanks, three are hard enough. But I don't want to give up any of these tanks!

2. I just found out my daughter is thinking about a wedding in a year. The frag sales may have to go to the wedding dress fund :lol:

• Like 2