Established: June 1, 2016
2016-10-30 Top Down:
2016-10-02 Top Down:
2016-10-02 Full Room Shot:
The idea for this tank came about after my 4g pico tank crashed. Instead of rebooting the 4g tank, I decided to turn it into a frag tank and go a little bit bigger. Like, about ten times bigger
I'm going to move my IM Fusion 10g tank to the desk in the study where my old 4g tank was, and install this new tank in place of the IM10. It will go on top of the counter on a built in bookcase in the family room, so it needs to look nice and run quietly.
The space available for the tank is 23 7/8" wide, 21 1/2" deep, and 25" high. Here's what it looks like with the IM10:
I've considered several tank options:
- IM Fusion Mini 40. I think this one is meant to be, because it's built to almost the exact dimensions of the space I have available and gives me the most tank that will fit.
- IM Lagoon 25. Same footprint but shallower. I like the shallow look but a deeper tank means more water, more stability, and more inhabitants.
- Red Sea Reefer 170. $650 more than the IM40, includes a sump, but also includes a stand that I can't use. And it's smaller.
- Various non-AIO tanks including custom built to fit the space. This would be the "best" solution, but if I'm going to go to the time and expense of building a custom tank with a sump, I think I'd get more for my money with a slightly larger size, and longer/shallower dimensions. Which means I can't put it where it needs to go.
So, I've settled on the IM40.
I've just ordered the IM40, along with a few other items from BRS:
- Tunze 9004 skimmer (pretty much the only decent skimmer that will fit in the AIO chamber)
- MP-40 circulation pump
- Finnex 150w heater
I also ordered a few goodies from StevieT at InTank:
IM CustomCradle magnetic probe holder
IM40 media basket
I already have a few other items on hand:
- Jebao DP-4 doser
- Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
- Apex Jr. controller with Energy Bar 8 and Temp/Ph probes.
Up next: lighting? more circulation? filtration? stocking? other considerations?