ReefCleaners.org

Nanobox Wide Quad! First impression

mpsti05

34CDB85E-9369-4185-9EFB-56F258110A13_zps

A57EC150-53FE-45F3-8F93-63C4BD4079B6_zps

Unboxing, first impression right out of the box is a quality piece. Feels solid and well made compaired to a few lights I've owned. Currently it does have a wood top which is legit all on its own (wife wants a navy one). The unit itself is thinner than I expected infact it's thinner than my old radion, the power supply and driver unit are small and compact aswell and that was something I was worried about.

A9B40EB9-EB63-4BDC-851F-B3B08841AD10_zps

Let's talk about the WIDE quad and the color, For the last couple years I've been using a radion with the wide angle lens. Well I much prefer and think the spread is better with this unit. Plenty of coverage from front to back. My tank is 30x20x16 and I don't see much shadowing anylonger. Using blufish was quite simple and Dave made it simpler by logging in and adjusting a few things for me. Now I don't know if my eyes are just getting old or something but I feel like my ORA red Goni just pops so much more under this light along with all the other corals, at times it looks electric red. Granted my photos aren't that great and are taken with an iPhone 6s behind some polarized sunglasses. I've only been using this for about 2.5 weeks so I'll continue to update this and add some more to my review but I'm very happy with the switch and this will be a great unit if your looking for something to fill in all the corners and help eliminate shadows. Any questions please let me know! And thanks again Dave!

-Matt

Now I don't know if my eyes are just getting old or something but I feel like my ORA red Goni just pops so much more under this light along with all the other corals, at times it looks electric red.

Behold the beauty of high CRI white LEDs, something that none of the major manufacturers get right now. They are all about the lumens, CRI be damned.

Behold the beauty of high CRI white LEDs, something that none of the major manufacturers get right now. They are all about the lumens, CRI be damned.

I have been wondering this. Why do they not see that everyone (for the most part) is in knowledge of warm whites and neutral whites being far better? If I was selling a product I would be a member on all forums reading what people want. Like that is marketing research 101...

Amen to this! My red acas are blood red under my Nano Box. It has the best color rendition of any fixture I have ever owned. I wish big manufacturers would replace red and green LEDs with something more useful that would mix better overall. I hate the Radion disco effect.

Evil, why have they been so hesitant to adopt neutral/warm whites? They could add more useful leds to their arrays by getting rid of red and greens. What's the hold up? Any major manufacturers following this trend? What's it gonna take??

Amen to this! My red acas are blood red under my Nano Box. It has the best color rendition of any fixture I have ever owned. I wish big manufacturers would replace red and green LEDs with something more useful that would mix better overall. I hate the Radion disco effect.

Evil, why have they been so hesitant to adopt neutral/warm whites? They could add more useful leds to their arrays by getting rid of red and greens. What's the hold up? Any major manufacturers following this trend? What's it gonna take??

PAR. It's all about the PAR number. Using high CRI WW and NW means PAR goes down. Then ecotech can't advertise that the radion can push over 1000 PAR. I have said it many time and will say it again, radions are trash.

radions are trash.

albeit, good trash, i do like the nanoboxes though, this wide is a new player and looks great! any other mounting options?

I have been wondering this. Why do they not see that everyone (for the most part) is in knowledge of warm whites and neutral whites being far better? If I was selling a product I would be a member on all forums reading what people want. Like that is marketing research 101...

PAR. It's all about the PAR number. Using high CRI WW and NW means PAR goes down. Then ecotech can't advertise that the radion can push over 1000 PAR. I have said it many time and will say it again, radions are trash.

gus nailed it. PAR sells fixtures, even though most high end fixtures have more than enough power to grow anything in almost any tank. The reduction in PAR from going to higher CRI whites though won't be that much though.

I think the other reason is the ability to more fine tune the color, at least on the red end. You do get better overall control when you are dealing with a narrow range of wavelengths, versus a broad swath of light from a warm white. And having more control is just another metric that all the reef nerds can drool all over. The smart people know that 4 channels with the right LEDs can do just as good ;)

I know with AI, after talking numerous time with Chris Clough (the owner of AI), they are committed to the 3535 format LEDs. I tried talking them into using Luxeon Rebels years ago due to the better price and CRI on the whites, but they just weren't interested in having to redesign their custom optics for the differences between the Cree/Osram/Semi LEDs and the Rebels.

Like the others said, PAR talks to your average person. I do have to give credit to Ecotech for the comparison for growth. It is something I am in the works with to prove how you can be as successful or more with LEDs.

I am finishing up pricing in the next two weeks and then going to production on the first run. Looking like a hair more than the current Quad but with four/five channel only option. Finishing leg design and a couple other mounts to tanks. While the unit has the same LED count as the current Quad there is ~ 20% more material on this unit. It is a beast.

-Dave

This looks really nice! It's a great balance between keeping the unit small so it doesn't cover the whole tank, and getting a good spread to limit shadowing.

I want one. For my 10g tank. :lol: Or something... :ninja:

This looks really nice! It's a great balance between keeping the unit small so it doesn't cover the whole tank, and getting a good spread to limit shadowing.

I want one. For my 10g tank. :lol: Or something... :ninja:

what happens is you buy this for your 10g than realize your 10g isn't good enough for the light so therefore you update to a bigger and better tank, then your spouse sees the bill and either kills you or worse divorces you, you do not win from this. You end up single living in a studio with your large dream tank and NB quad lonely all because you wanted a Wide Quad for your 10g.

Worth it?

probably....... :P

what happens is you buy this for your 10g than realize your 10g isn't good enough for the light so therefore you update to a bigger and better tank, then your spouse sees the bill and either kills you or worse divorces you, you do not win from this. You end up single living in a studio with your large dream tank and NB quad lonely all because you wanted a Wide Quad for your 10g.

Worth it?

probably....... :P

:lol: My spouse supports my habit. Sort of.

#winning #sortof

Archived