ReefCleaners.org

Clown hurt, need help

blizzardscout2

blizzardscout2

Anyone know what could have caused this? No other tank mates except clown that is not aggressive. Have maxi nems and a flower nem. His lower fin is mangled too. Seems to breathing rapidly too. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

image_zpslpbdujp8.jpeg

Nano sapiens

I had something similar with my B&W. It healed back up after a week or two.

With two adult clowns in a small tank, I think it's pretty common that they get a bit nippy once in a while.

I've never treated a clown that's injured. Is it eating and swimming around? Keep an eye on the wound and take action if you see it's getting worse. At the meantime have a hospital tank ready. Order some Maracyn II if you don't have some. Be ready to transfer some rubble into your hospital tank so it already has biological filtration.

That said you still need to balance between the stress of moving and the risk of not treating. I'll only treat if it doesn't look like it can recover by itself.

blizzardscout2

Yeah he is not swimming at all. He was fine last night when I did a WC. I didn't notice until the light came on while watching the kids. He went from the spot in the picture to the bottom and back of the tank. I am pretty sure he isn't going to make it. He looks in pretty bad shape. :-(

Dang.

blizzardscout2

? yup... Dead. Laid to rest in the belly of my flower anemone. Poor little guy. Thanks for the help.

Yeah he was the mate.

blizzardscout2

I have racked my brain, it had to be the mate. He has done this before to a new clown, but they have been together fine for 8 months or so. Weird.

Archived