Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pearly Jawfish behavior. Help!

L.bacchus88

L.bacchus88

So I got a pearly Jawfish as my first fish in a new tank. (BC29)I also got a couple nassarius snails and cerith snails at the same time. He immediately built a burrow in the back on the tank (about 6 inches of sand) with some rubble I gave him and was eating anything I fed him from day one. A week later, I got a few nerite snails and 2 very very tiny blue leg hermits. I came home and saw my Jawfish just laying in the sand next to a rock- at first I thought he was dead, but then he started eating. He apparently put himself in a hole under my rock towards the front of the tank. I continued to watch him, (it was dark, moonlight was on) and I see him come out of the rock and start swimming around frantically up and down the tank- I assume he was looking for an escape- he hadn't tried jumping at all yet except when I first opened the bag that he came in. I'm wondering what is going on with him. Is he just exploring new places, or does he feel threatened by something? Could the addition of some tiny crabs and a few more snails pissed him off? Lol I'm just worried- I don't want him to die and I'd like to make him happy. He seemed to be adjusting well for the first week. Oh yeah, I'll mention that I checked all my parameters and they're just fine. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Is his burrow deep/secure enough? Sounds to me like he is looking for a new spot to build.

Make sure you have a lid, he will try to fly at some point.

These guys like a deep sand bed to build a deep secure burrow. A little rubble or a rock crevice isn't enough. Yes, he feels threatened.

How long have you had him? They do take awhile to settle in and seem to build multiple burrows before they feel comfortable.

L.bacchus88

I hope so. I've only had him for a week, but he seemed pretty content in his burrow for that time until now. He didn't come out too much other than to get rubble and to eat, but I figured he's still getting used to it. I hope he doesn't commit suicide. Lol

Archived