Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My gluing technique sucks. Help I found my missing Zoas ?

Hammerstone

Hammerstone

I have Zoas not attached to anything. Like a little cluster of grapes. I got ready and patted the underside gently with a paper towel and squirted the coral glue gel and then put them where I wanted and they wouldn't stay. My husband says you have to do it underwater. I think he's wrong. This will be the third attempt at gluing them. The glue cures so da$& fast!!!

Any loose rubble or something you can glue to outside of the water? Scenarios like this are where frag plugs come in hands. If you're going to do it again, turn off your pumps, plug a generous sized amount on the underside, and then place the zoa in the location you want. Make sure the looks like the superglue breaks. There's a layer that will form once you add the glue to the water. That seal needs to break.

Its not your technique, its the glue.

It really doesn't like to stick to the rocks.

Most recently i tried scrubbing the rock with a toothbrush(new toothbrush for tank), it seems to help the glue adhere to the rock better.

You have to be quick, as soon as that glue hits water it starts to harden. When you hold down the coral to glue it, hold and twist for a few seconds, then hold it in place for a min.

Its not your technique, its the glue.

It really doesn't like to stick to the rocks.

Most recently i tried scrubbing the rock with a toothbrush(new toothbrush for tank), it seems to help the glue adhere to the rock better.

You have to be quick, as soon as that glue hits water it starts to harden. When you hold down the coral to glue it, hold and twist for a few seconds, then hold it in place for a min.

yeah what Clown79 said. The glue forms a skin on it and you have to twist the frag onto the rocks so you break that skin and ensure the glue is sticking to the rock to hold the frag on.

Another trick i use that i forgot to mention.

I keep pieces of rubble, seashells, or frag plugs in my tank supplies.

- put tank water in a new container-enough to dip the coral

- get your rubble, plug, shell ready

- put on any safety protective wear(i wear glasses and gloves when glueing things like zoas)

- i then grab my coral to be glued, add glue to coral bottom(a good dollop)

- hold and twist in place, then dip in water until it hardens

-once I know its held in place i then add it to my tank. If I need to glue the rubble piece down, I use the reef epoxy putty, it holds items onto rockwork better.

What kind of coral glue? If its not thick glue, then the "in water" application will prove to be very difficult. You can get a tube of thick super glue gel from most Dollar stores... taking some tank water, and applying it in a container is your safest bet.. use a piece of rubble or go to your LFS and grab some plugs... your best bet would be to buy a cheap piece of dry rock, and break it down.. much cheaper and it will look more natural in your tank.

FlamingPrawn

Anything with cyanoacrylate is your best bet. Make sure its gel and not liquid! I always take the frag outside the tank, put the glue on. and push it onto the rock. Like Stella said - you have to break that film to twist a little bit. Hold it for 15-30 seconds and you're good

Hammerstone

Yeah I was scared of hurting them by pushing too hard. Are they pretty resilient?

And it's gel coral glue.

Thank you all, every one of you for helping me!!!

Polarcollision

+1 to breaking the skin formed in water. It also helps to make this sandwich:

coral

superglue gel

tiny bit of reef putty

superglue gel

substrate

I feel a superglue rant coming on. Some superglues are better than others. I've tried every brand I can find in search of one that isn't complete crap after 3 months. IC-gel isn't the best bond but it's the best value. I've mostly used this brand since I can add a quarter size glob without having to buy another tube. Loctite stuck the best but you get next to nothing in the tube. Crazy glue and gorilla glue cyanoacrylate both squeeze out mostly liquid before the less than pea size glob of gel SG even though the package states GEL. That really grinds my gears. The original Superglue brand gel was decent but I can't find it in stores anymore.

+1 to breaking the skin formed in water. It also helps to make this sandwich:

coral

superglue gel

tiny bit of reef putty

superglue gel

substrate

I feel a superglue rant coming on. Some superglues are better than others. I've tried every brand I can find in search of one that isn't complete crap after 3 months. IC-gel isn't the best bond but it's the best value. I've mostly used this brand since I can add a quarter size glob without having to buy another tube. Loctite stuck the best but you get next to nothing in the tube. Crazy glue and gorilla glue cyanoacrylate both squeeze out mostly liquid before the less than pea size glob of gel SG even though the package states GEL. That really grinds my gears. The original Superglue brand gel was decent but I can't find it in stores anymore.

I like the IC as well but I've recently started buying be gel super glue in the dollar store and it works great!! Small tubes but I still think inexpensive and works just as well of not better than the IC

Polarcollision

I like the IC as well but I've recently started buying be gel super glue in the dollar store and it works great!! Small tubes but I still think inexpensive and works just as well of not better than the IC

I'll look for it and give it a try. Does it squeeze out liquid before gel? That pre-liquid stuff runs all over hands and nails--which you wear for days. LOL

Just last week I knocked off the rainbow stylophora while cleaning the glass (you're not alone with superglue issues Hammerstone). The whole 5", dense piece crashed down on top of a miami hurricane chalice. Quick run to the drugstore for crazy glue and 3 tubes (!!!) later it finally stayed put. 3 tubes!!

just an add on- once you've gotten your zoas glued to some rubble or small rock, you should probably try to glue that to a larger rock in your tank. snails and hermits are notorious for knocking them off of their perch, and if you have an urchin, you'll really want to make sure it's secure.

HarryPotter

I just use generous amount of glue and twist back and forth when I attach so that the outermost (hardened) layer breaks and the glue attaches to the rock. Works great, just need to hold it for 5-30 seconds depending on the piece/location.

I'll look for it and give it a try. Does it squeeze out liquid before gel? That pre-liquid stuff runs all over hands and nails--which you wear for days. LOL

Just last week I knocked off the rainbow stylophora while cleaning the glass (you're not alone with superglue issues Hammerstone). The whole 5", dense piece crashed down on top of a miami hurricane chalice. Quick run to the drugstore for crazy glue and 3 tubes (!!!) later it finally stayed put. 3 tubes!!

No! Comes out as nice thick gel from the beginning. I really like the stuff!

where do you find it

I just bought home depot brand. Hoping that works. $1 tube

where do you find itI just bought home depot brand. Hoping that works. $1 tube

We have a dollar tree down the street and that's where I get it. I'll take a photo and load it up. Hold please!

Ok, this is the stuff I get at Dollar Tree. Two tubes for $1. Last time I was there I bought all that they had (18 packages I think :lol: ) The guy at the register looked at me like I was nuts.

lNOCBkn.jpg

Hammerstone

That's classic with the sorbet lol. I have a big stack of frozen mysis. I have to drive awhile to get to the pet store.

I shall try another gluing session tomorrow after I clean the rock really good with a dedicated tooth brush. I want to stick it in the same place but there is dried up glue there. It is pointy though, maybe it would help to break the seal around the glue when I mush it around.

Polarcollision

thats so awesome Stella. I would do something like that. In fact when sorbet goes buy one get one:

26574780944_52369585c6.jpgsorbet by Penny, on Flickr

I'd eat it all in a week. You must have an iron will.

SaltCritters Gel Coral Glue, 2oz for 7.99 (it's like a million of those little gram tubes). Comes out thick and holds very well.

Archived