Cultivated Reef

Reef Eutrophication ('Nutrient Rich') - Harmful Bacteria/Coral Study

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Dirty tank keepers beware! :)

http://newscenter.sdsu.edu/sdsu_newscenter/news_story.aspx?sid=76154

Over the years many have noticed the link between a dirty tank and the occurance of disease. This study shows that reefs with increased eutrophication/algae cover result in more voracious microbes and so results in less DOC that would normally stimulate the carbon cycle and nourish higher organisms. The increase of microbes, including disease causing/opportunistic ones, can result in sick and dead corals which then allows for further algae takeover.

brandon429

what does this do to algae turf scrubber's claim on general fixing of the entire universe? are they not doc leakers/slingers?

Interesting article.

"humans should be concerned about how their actions both directly and indirectly impact one of the world’s most important ecosystems"

sadly, this is highly unlikely...

Nano sapiens

what does this do to algae turf scrubber's claim on general fixing of the entire universe? are they not doc leakers/slingers?

I too was was thinking about ATSs when I read this :)

While algae are known to 'leak' DOC's, seems that the increase of microbes fostered by the algae takeover are responsible for the net reduction. I would imagine that the leaking of DOCs from the ATS could be seen as not harmful , and perhaps even beneficail, as long as the system is maintained in an oligotrophic enough state to limit over population of microbial communities.

What I find most interesting is that one would expect a reef taken over by algae to show an increase in DOCs, but the opposite is true due to the resulting increase of the 'voraciaous' bacterial community.

Archived