SaltCritters.com

Best place to buy fish Online

xAyanex

I've never looked into petco because I heard they're not very good.

Oh, petco is definitely terrible. Just was saying the fish from petco come from the same place as fish from live aquaria. Fish from either place definitely need to be quarantined

• 2 weeks later...
StinkyBunny

Corporate aquatics are the worst. I wouldn't buy anything from them just because I know the background husbandry that goes into these places.

If you can find someone that transships their fish, that's the place to buy from. Find out when their shipments are going to arrive and ask if you can be there the day they arrive and take the fish home to your QUARANTINE tank and acclimate it there. Indo, The Philippines, Sri Lanka and Bali, corals and fish, arrive on Sundays to the USA, Fiji is Friday on the east coast and Tuesday or Thursday to the west coast. Australia is Friday and Africa Thursday usually. Fish are in transit for a day and have only been without food for 3-4 days tops, this is especially important when dealing with Anthias, scooter blennies and mandarins.

Many small retailer buy from wholesalers, try to find the ones that don't and you'll get MUCH better specimens.

chipmunkofdoom2

I've seen at least one mention of That Fish Place in this thread, but I wouldn't order anything from them. I live close enough that they're my LFS, despite being an hour away. The livestock selection is the best in the area, and the fish room is impressive, but it's difficult to walk through the rows and rows of tanks and find specimens that I think are healthy enough to take home. Prices are also relatively high. Additionally, I've also had serious algae problems with all the live rock I've ever got from them. I've never gone so far as to test the phosphates with a low range test kit, but in all my tanks where I haven't used TFP live rock, I've had no algae issues. In all the tanks where I have used TFP rock, I have.

Maybe their shipped livestock actually doesn't come from their store, and maybe it all comes from "drop shippers" or wholesalers. In this case, what you're buying never showed up to their store, and I would consider it then. However, I don't plan to buy anything but snails from them in the future.

chipmunkofdoom2

Where are you in Bel Air? I'm in Bel Air as well.

Are you kidding? That's crazy, what long odds. PM sent!

FYI Liveaquaria was purchased by Petco in 2015. I've heard less than stellar stories about their regular orders after the switch but Diver's Den seems to still be good. They're really good with refunds if anything goes wrong however.

squamptonbc

So many online selections in the US...lol.. We have very few up here for fish, a bit better for corals though.

Still old school for me, call only store with salt 1 hour away, great have what I want, give credit card, they hold fish a few days until I can get there, if they don't have anything, onto the waiting list and hope the next order has it, some of the less common stuff can take months, we really don't get the same selection you US folks get.

FYI Liveaquaria was purchased by Petco in 2015. I've heard less than stellar stories about their regular orders after the switch but Diver's Den seems to still be good. They're really good with refunds if anything goes wrong however.

I haven't noticed a change in either service. The regular orders were never any better than most online places, just a better guarantee and better packing than some places. If you ordered fish (before they bought LA) through Petco, Petco never touched the fish, they just came from some wholesaler somewhere.

The fish still seem to ship from the same facility in same packaging with the gold standard guarantee. As much as I hate Petco, I doubt Petco changed much when LA/DD are so successful. Maybe I am being optimistic but I had plenty of DOA's and deaths from LA before Petco bought them, those fish aren't conditioned like DD, even DD fish still bring in ich and other parasites from time to time too.

I am bummed I have to pay sale's tax on dr foster and smith :(

Gilly's Reef

Both Sancho and I are located in Southern California which is probably the epicenter of the marine hobby in America.

Aquatic Warehouse is awesome!

Archived