Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval Evo 5

chrisba

I recently started a Fluval Evo 5. I got rid of my last reef tank about 8 years ago when I had my first child. Now that the children are getting older I want to start introducing them to this fascinating hobby.

My main question currently concerns the the filer set up on the Evo 5. I am used to a traditional sump with an overflow which this has. The screwy thing is that they also put a slit at the bottom. I think I should plug this slit so as to force all the water over the overflow. Can anyone give me any advice concerning this. In the past I have only used macro algae and live rock as filters but this tank came with a large sponge and fluval's bio media. I would like to take all that out and use a bunch of rubble. Any input would be appreciated.

I am not sure about the overflow issue as I've never run a tank with a sump. I'm sure someone can help you with that.

As for filter media, i'd ditch the stock and use a good carbon and filter floss.

As for adding rubble in the filter, like liverock- everything i have read doesn't recommend it. The lack of movement within the rubble will just cause detritus buildup leading to nutrient issues.

North Borders

I have a pair of Spec V's and I used some aquarium silicone to seal that shut. It's designed as an 'emergency' water flow so you never run the return compartment dry. It bypasses a good chunk of the filter compartment and if you're using an InTank media basket instead of the stock big black filter it kind of makes water miss the filter media. If you use an auto top off or are extra diligent, the risk of running the pump compartment dry with the hole sealed shut is next to zero. Another advantage is it helps keep a lot of detrius out of the bottom of the return compartment because you're forcing the water to go through your filter floss/foam at that point.

Archived