inTank Media Baskets

Review: OceanBox Designs AIO insert for AquaMaxx 12L

D Z

After deciding on the new AquaMaxx 12L for my downsize, I decided that I wanted to keep things simple and go with an AIO for filtration. OceanBox Designs was the clear choice and boy am I glad I decided to contact Phuong to talk about making a new variant for the AquaMaxx tank. I provided him with the dimensions of the tank and he provided me with a pristine AIO insert that is a thing of beauty. Everything from rock solid construction to top notch packaging and customer service is what you will look forward to when ordering from OceanBox Designs. Here are some pictures of the filter from before I installed it into the tank.

26998521652_6880fb1413_b.jpgIMG_5994.CR2 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

27024589761_35c3a7203b_b.jpgIMG_5996.CR2 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

26998520852_2d15a091ff_b.jpgIMG_5997.CR2 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

27024587311_b8246f6dd5_b.jpgIMG_5999.CR2 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

27092755605_3a2a69227a_b.jpgIMG_6000.CR2 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

26487389134_072b3a3047_b.jpgIMG_6006.CR2 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

26998518092_ba8cbd62cb_b.jpgIMG_6005.CR2 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

26998517252_5137310d68_b.jpgIMG_6009.CR2 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Here are some pics of the installation process.

26407779520_cc6ecf738c_k.jpg20160426_204653 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

26588331392_ba6d6f2eb0_k.jpg20160426_204646 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

26075242774_1515df4229_k.jpg20160426_205907 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

And the finished product.

26558804530_f22ebf0762_k.jpg12L-1 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

26831407205_6dfb19ddd0_k.jpg12L-4 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

So far the tank has been running great! The only issue that I have had was from me using an overpowered pump. Phuong recommends an Eheim 600 and I tried to use a MJ900 that I had on hand. It was too much flow, causing the overflow to barely be able to keep up. Once the filter floss got a bit full, the level in the return chamber would drop considerably and my return pump would start blowing air. Once I swapped the pump out for one around 100gph, it has not skipped a beat, even when the FF is quite full. I think I am getting better filtration around 100gph anyways as the water flow through the filter has more contact time with whatever you are using for filtration. Overall, I highly recommend OceanBox Designs for their AIO inserts, as well as their other products.

Oceanbox Designs

After deciding on the new AquaMaxx 12L for my downsize, I decided that I wanted to keep things simple and go with an AIO for filtration. OceanBox Designs was the clear choice and boy am I glad I decided to contact Phuong to talk about making a new variant for the AquaMaxx tank. I provided him with the dimensions of the tank and he provided me with a pristine AIO insert that is a thing of beauty. Everything from rock solid construction to top notch packaging and customer service is what you will look forward to when ordering from OceanBox Designs. Here are some pictures of the filter from before I installed it into the tank.

26831407205_6dfb19ddd0_k.jpg12L-4 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

So far the tank has been running great! The only issue that I have had was from me using an overpowered pump. Phuong recommends an Eheim 600 and I tried to use a MJ900 that I had on hand. It was too much flow, causing the overflow to barely be able to keep up. Once the filter floss got a bit full, the level in the return chamber would drop considerably and my return pump would start blowing air. Once I swapped the pump out for one around 100gph, it has not skipped a beat, even when the FF is quite full. I think I am getting better filtration around 100gph anyways as the water flow through the filter has more contact time with whatever you are using for filtration. Overall, I highly recommend OceanBox Designs for their AIO inserts, as well as their other products.

Great write up Randy! Thanks for a great detailed review. Good job with the retrofit and I should mention the design of our AIO insert will fit both peninsular or corner style install, as Randy did. It is a good idea to run slower flow through the AIO so it has good contact time for maximum filtration and prevent premature clogging with the filter floss. If you need more flow, for such a long tank you'll need to have another powerhead at the other end anyway. My usual recommendation is a Jebao RW-4 to provide additional flow and wave action to mimic the natural sea current.

Thanks for your kind words once again and I can't wait to see this tank grown out!

Dude that looks slick. I wish I had a reason to order from Phuong. Makes some nice stuff.

Thanks and appreciate it. I thought you were asking for a mini magnetic frag rack that work with 10mm glass?

Looks AWESOME, DZ! I never thought of doing the corner style and I like it!! Phuong made my AIO insert for my 12 long and I LOVE it.

Oceanbox Designs

Looks AWESOME, DZ! I never thought of doing the corner style and I like it!! Phuong made my AIO insert for my 12 long and I LOVE it.

I really appreciate it, yours was the very first AIO insert I did and the later variant were modelled after it :) I'm glad you still keep it running. Do you have any latest FTS? didn't want to go though 36 pages :o to look for one...lol

Great write up Randy! Thanks for a great detailed review. Good job with the retrofit and I should mention the design of our AIO insert will fit both peninsular or corner style install, as Randy did. It is a good idea to run slower flow through the AIO so it has good contact time for maximum filtration and prevent premature clogging with the filter floss. If you need more flow, for such a long tank you'll need to have another powerhead at the other end anyway. My usual recommendation is a Jebao RW-4 to provide additional flow and wave action to mimic the natural sea current.

Thanks for your kind words once again and I can't wait to see this tank grown out!

Thanks and appreciate it. I thought you were asking for a mini magnetic frag rack that work with 10mm glass?

Thanks bud! I wanted to point out one more thing in regards to adding a powerhead. I actually have a rw4 mounted to left hand wall of the aio insert(you can just barely see if behind the right hand rock structure). Its a great spot so that it provides a good amount of flow to the left side of the tank and is pretty hidden. The magnet that is usually on the outside of the tank is actually the exact same as the one on the inside so it is sealed and ok to get wet. It actually just fits perfectly in between the 2 removable shelves inside the filet box! Almost like it was meant to go there!

One more thing I did was replaced the locline with a 90 deg elbow and hooked up a spinstream pointed down the tank. Im getting a really nice random flow thru the tank now. Ill try to grab some pics to show you guys what I mean.

Actually I already have some pics that I totoally forgot I took. These are completely unedited so the color is all off but you get the picture...

27114975775_d07666f555_k.jpg2016-05-19_01-20-25 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

26509288144_b2c19881de_k.jpg2016-05-19_01-19-55 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

I really appreciate it, yours was the very first AIO insert I did and the later variant were modelled after it :) I'm glad you still keep it running. Do you have any latest FTS? didn't want to go though 36 pages :o to look for one...lol

:lol: I will soon. My tank is a mess and won't do the AIO insert justice at the moment :)

:lol: I will soon. My tank is a mess and won't do the AIO insert justice at the moment :)

mess...psshhh....its just overflowing with coral!

mess...psshhh....its just overflowing with coral!

:lol: Only coral in the 12 is two ricordeas and some cespitularia. All the rest is macros. And a mess of them!

:lol: Only coral in the 12 is two ricordeas and some cespitularia. All the rest is macros. And a mess of them!

Oh thats right...thats your macro tank. Well its overflowing with macros then!

Oh thats right...thats your macro tank. Well its overflowing with macros then!

haha! Yes. Overflowing seems to be my pattern/motto. My RFA tank is not overflowing yet :lol:

Oceanbox Designs

Thanks bud! I wanted to point out one more thing in regards to adding a powerhead. I actually have a rw4 mounted to left hand wall of the aio insert(you can just barely see if behind the right hand rock structure). Its a great spot so that it provides a good amount of flow to the left side of the tank and is pretty hidden. The magnet that is usually on the outside of the tank is actually the exact same as the one on the inside so it is sealed and ok to get wet. It actually just fits perfectly in between the 2 removable shelves inside the filet box! Almost like it was meant to go there!

One more thing I did was replaced the locline with a 90 deg elbow and hooked up a spinstream pointed down the tank. Im getting a really nice random flow thru the tank now. Ill try to grab some pics to show you guys what I mean.

Actually I already have some pics that I totoally forgot I took. These are completely unedited so the color is all off but you get the picture...

27114975775_d07666f555_k.jpg2016-05-19_01-20-25 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

26509288144_b2c19881de_k.jpg2016-05-19_01-19-55 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Very cool mod on the spin stream. Does it provide enough surface movement with the RW-4 being way down and the variable flow of the spin stream?

Oceanbox Designs

:D no worries, just wanted to see how it is right now.

Very cool mod on the spin stream. Does it provide enough surface movement with the RW-4 being way down and the variable flow of the spin stream?

So far, so good. I havnt noticed any film pn thw watrer surface and no signs of low ph. The overflow into the aio helps a lot too.

Having the rw4 where it is provides a really good amount of flow to that right hand rock. Im thinking I may just have to cover it with acros....

Archived