Innovative Marine Aquariums

Question about Cycling

xAyanex

Algae presence doesn't mean a cycle is done. It can start developing during a cycle or after a cycle. Every tank is different.

My 15g cycled in 2 weeks, my nitrates only went up to 20 and one regular water change dropped it to acceptible levels. I didn't experience diatoms till a mnth after cycling. Then a short spurt with cyano.

My 10g took 5 weeks to cycle and had a very short diatom bloom. I have more algae issues in this tank.

The only difference in set up with tanks, 15g had 80% liverock 20% dry

10g had 80% dry and 20% liverock.

Aquariums will go through various algae "cycles" usually the first 6-7mnths as the tank matures.

If you keep nutrient levels on the lower end you won't experience major algae issues.

If you aren't comfortable changing out 80% of the water, doing multiple smaller ones is fine, it may just take longer to lower the nitrates.

Are you running an hang on filter on this tank with any media in it?

I try to give new reefers some heads up advice so they can prevent major issues.

Yeah, I've read some more and decided my tank is cycled. It was 100% live rock but I was sort of a long dry drive home with it so that is probably why is took 2.5 weeks to cycle.

And I've come to the conclusion about the algae-I'll keep nutrient low and hope it never becomes an issue, and if it does, I'll stay on top of it.

I'll do small water changes-gonna go for about 50% at a time, that seems less intimidating to me.

A hang on filter-No. I have filter floss in a media basket, and the sponge is still in there (for now). And a rio 6hyperflow for the pump. Eventually I plan to run purigen and chemipure elite in the media basket. No bioballs.

My first fish went in before any kind of algae bloom. If you get a bloom later it wont hurt them, unless its a crazy out of control bloom that starts depleting all the oxygen. I didn't even add my CUC until after I had hair algae so I didn't have to worry about them starving. Once I did get the GHA I jut concentrated on getting and keeping nutrients low, a little manual removal, and I backed off my lighting a little bit. It took about two weeks between me and the CUC to destroy that green haired devil weed. Now my tank produces just enough algae to keep my CUC fed but it doesn't have time to take hold anywhere, i'm hoping to maintain this balance.

I was referring to the fighting conch. :)

Good to know, though, incase I ever want to go bare bottom! I have heard nothing but good things.

I have two fighting conchs in my 66 - I have a coarse substrate mixed with sand - about an inch max. They do well. Bury themselves and come out when they want. They're great at keeping the sand bed stirred. I had one in my 29 biocube that did really well and he's now been relocated to this tank. If you aren't seeing algae, I would hold off on adding the CUC as there is nothing for them to eat. Although you can supplement them with algae pellets etc.

(I just realized that I think multiple people already answered the same way I did about the CUC - I didn't read back :) )

And your puppy in your avatar is adorable :)

My first fish went in before any kind of algae bloom. If you get a bloom later it wont hurt them, unless its a crazy out of control bloom that starts depleting all the oxygen. I didn't even add my CUC until after I had hair algae so I didn't have to worry about them starving. Once I did get the GHA I jut concentrated on getting and keeping nutrients low, a little manual removal, and I backed off my lighting a little bit. It took about two weeks between me and the CUC to destroy that green haired devil weed. Now my tank produces just enough algae to keep my CUC fed but it doesn't have time to take hold anywhere, i'm hoping to maintain this balance.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I expect my tank will be taking a similar route.

I have two fighting conchs in my 66 - I have a coarse substrate mixed with sand - about an inch max. They do well. Bury themselves and come out when they want. They're great at keeping the sand bed stirred. I had one in my 29 biocube that did really well and he's now been relocated to this tank. If you aren't seeing algae, I would hold off on adding the CUC as there is nothing for them to eat. Although you can supplement them with algae pellets etc.

(I just realized that I think multiple people already answered the same way I did about the CUC - I didn't read back :) )

And your puppy in your avatar is adorable :)

That's okay! I was only planning on adding a couple nassarius snails and lightly feeding them. I'll hold off on any other CUC until I see algae. And I always appreciate the feedback and advice!! Rather too much than not enough.

And thank you! Her name is Bella. She's a yorkie.

msparklym13

HI! A little late to the conversation but wanted to throw in my thoughts :-)

1. I would recommend a starter fish first before committing to a pair of clowns- They are so awesome and since you are obviously a puppy person(My Maltese is Lucy) you will LOVE them- to me, clowns exude a puppy personality! That said, I had no idea there were so many clown variations! I went with basic Clowns but had I known there are a few so beautiful I would have waited(next clown? Picasso!!). If you choose to do more of "designer" clown they are really expensive as an intro.

2. My Conch has been thriving for the past few months in a Biocube 29. It is amazing because at night when I turn off my lights the sand will be dirty. By morning the sand looks like I just cleaned the tank. So cool!

When I first found Nano Reef I remember an amazing piece of advice with regards to stocking (which I didn't follow until now). The advice was to plan out your tank by researching every fish and coral well ahead of time. Decide what your goals are and make sure they align with the future of your reef environment.

Good luck and enjoy your first fish!

HI! A little late to the conversation but wanted to throw in my thoughts :-)

1. I would recommend a starter fish first before committing to a pair of clowns- They are so awesome and since you are obviously a puppy person(My Maltese is Lucy) you will LOVE them- to me, clowns exude a puppy personality! That said, I had no idea there were so many clown variations! I went with basic Clowns but had I known there are a few so beautiful I would have waited(next clown? Picasso!!). If you choose to do more of "designer" clown they are really expensive as an intro.

2. My Conch has been thriving for the past few months in a Biocube 29. It is amazing because at night when I turn off my lights the sand will be dirty. By morning the sand looks like I just cleaned the tank. So cool!

When I first found Nano Reef I remember an amazing piece of advice with regards to stocking (which I didn't follow until now). The advice was to plan out your tank by researching every fish and coral well ahead of time. Decide what your goals are and make sure they align with the future of your reef environment.

Good luck and enjoy your first fish!

I appreciate the recommendation, however, I've loved clownfish for a long time. I've read they're a good fish for beginners as it is. I've read putting them in together is a better option than waiting on the second one. And they're the only two fish I really plan on having. I might get a 3rd after a while, but I'm not sure. I am definitely a puppy person :) Maltese doggies are so cute!! I have researched all the clown variations. When I first looked into it, I had no idea there were that many either!! But I really like the regular ocellaris and the black and white ocellaris the best. Maroons are really pretty but they're just not for me. Picassos are awesome! I figure if I want more clownfish, it's incentive to get a bigger thank after I get a better handle on this hobby. ;P

I think maybe I would be safe to get a conch-multiple people have said they're been okay with not that much sand in a smaller thank. Thank you for sharing your experience as well.

I have thoroughly researched all the fish I want (although, as I said, I really only want the two clownfish, and then maybe another fish later on down the road-I already have a couple in mind to choose from that I've looked into), and in terms of coral I plan to get the hardy, more beginner corals which I have already thoroughly researched and planned out. I mean really, you should see how many word documents I have saved in a folder-both at home and at work. This is really my beginner tank. :)

Thank you, I will need the good luck, and thank you for your response! I will definitely enjoy my first fish!

Archived