Innovative Marine Aquariums

First post, First tank, End of week 2

xhavok

SideCar_Falcon619

I'm brand new. 2 days into cycling and this is my first anything on this site other than reading.

But I had to say I really love your rockscaping! :wub:

I will be getting one regular ocellaris and one black and white ocellaris for my first fish. But, I will wait another week and a half so that I can be home when they arrive for acclimation.

I really like the black and white clowns

But I had to say I really love your rockscaping! :wub:

Thanks!

This is a bit of a long update since its been so long.

So its been roughly 4 weeks now, my parameters seem to be fairly stable, and I'll post them below. I have discovered a gigantic bristle worm as well, he's at least 5 inches. Most of my rocks are getting covered in purple coraline algae. the big rock is turning green and I'm not sure if its regular algae or coraline, hopefully coraline.

As you can see in the pictures there is a ton of algae on my sand, I'm not sure where my nassarius snails are. there were 4 in there but since they pretty much stay under the sand its hard to keep track of them. anybody know any better sand sifters I could get? Or would more snails be the best way to go? I don't think they've died since no hermits are wearing their shells and I haven't seen any of their shells on the sand. The algae starts out a greenish brown and grows little hairs if that helps.

As for my handsome lawnmower blenny, he seems to enjoy perching all over the tank. I see him bite at the rocks and such which I think is normal. I've been putting some green seaweed sheets in for him but I think the hermits like it more than he does. I've never actually seen him eat it, but I don't think the hermits could be eating all of it. any advice on better things to do? Also, does he look like he's eating enough? I think his belly is round

I also have noticed some of my zoo's disappearing, nothing is eating them they just seem to be receding. In the picture you can see the middle is just kind of shrinking, but the left and right sides appear to be fine. It's been happening slowly for the last week, I've only really noticed it today. I don't know what the problem is and its definitely going to stall me adding any other corals until I figure out why.

The last update I have is that there appears to be hundreds, literally, of tiny bugs all over my tank glass. they are white, or clear, and have roundish bodies with tails I think. I'm not sure which way is the front honestly. One morning they were just there and they are there all the time. Are these copepods? I tried to look them up but I couldn't find anything like them online.

my parameters are:

Salinity - 0.024

dKh - 9.1

Ph - 7.8

Ammonia and nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 2

Phosphate - 0.16

Iodide - 0.06

Ca - 430

Mg - 1520

I dosed alkalinity this morning and its supposed to bring up my Ph too, at least the bottle says so.

I've been debating adding a cleaner shrimp, should I wait until the alkalinity goes back up?

Sorry for all the questions, I also added a new FTS for your viewing pleasure

post-91403-0-05836900-1464311786_thumb.jpg

post-91403-0-13385400-1464311787_thumb.jpg

post-91403-0-25095400-1464311788_thumb.jpg

post-91403-0-89602500-1464311822_thumb.jpg

ReeferBrian

so as the title says this is my first post but I wanted to share my tank with you guys at the end of its 2nd week and see what you guys think.

This has been the most interesting week so far link for pics near the bottom

my tank is a biocube 29 and I have 8 assorted hermits, mostly red and blue tips I believe. I also have 8 snails, 1 turbo, 4 astrea, and 3 trochus that I added this week to help control the algae outbreak I had. I don't think adding them was the correct thing to do but its too late now.

Parameters are mostly all good, I am having a little bit of a green algae problem on my glass and sand right now which coincided with a nitrate and phosphate spike. The tank seems to be leveling out now parameter wise, but the algae doesn't seem to be going anywhere, I read this is a good sign as far as my cycle is concerned, can anyone confirm this for me?

> 5-10-2016

> Nitrate: 4.0

> Phosphate 0.36

> 5-16-2016

> Nitrate 2.0

> Phosphate 016

Now for the fun stuff, pics and analysis =D

http://imgur.com/a/1H31h/rearrange

So life exploded in my tank this week. I've seen so many little worms and fans and sponges come to life its been amazing.

First is a FTS. You can see the algae on the bottom of the glass and on the sand. It was covering the glass but I picked up a mag float and cleaned most of it off, the snails were barely making a dent so I took matters into my own hands.

The next 2 are of my stomatella! I love it, he is pretty shy but has been going in and out of the top rock of the cave all day, I hope more of them show up because they are seriously the coolest thing to me. Definitely my favorite hitchhiker so far.

the last 2 are of what I believe to be an asterina starfish, which I've read pretty conflicting things about. I personally don't think they are worth panicking over and am going to let them do their thing. They aren't anywhere near the zoos in my tank and don't seem to be bothering them, so why lose sleep over it? plus if their population explodes then I can get a harlequin to handle it haha.

All in all I've had a lot of fun with this tank this week. looking forward to adding my first fish in a few weeks, I'm thinking either a sailfin blenny or a clown, thoughts and ideas?

hey nice tank!I've got a 4 week old 14 gallon biocube,and I love it! I'm at 4weeks and still struggling with green algae on my sand,glass,rock hopefully it will go away soon!I have a scrappy api test kit so I'm not sure what my parameters are especially as far as phosphate is concerned.I'm going to take a water sample to my lfs,glad your likening your hobby and welcome!

I have a crappy API test kit so I'm not sure what my parameters are especially as far as phosphate is concerned. I'm going to take a water sample to my lfs...

I'm the first person to call the API phosphate kit inadequate (not due to being inaccurate, but because it's a high range kit, and you need a low range kit for reefing). But while there may be better, or easier to read kits out there, API's other kits are adequate. I would use them until gone, and then you can purchase kits you think you'd prefer.
ReeferBrian

I'm the first person to call the API phosphate kit inadequate (not due to being inaccurate, but because it's a high range kit, and you need a low range kit for reefing). But while there may be better, or easier to read kits out there, API's other kits are adequate. I would use them until gone, and then you can purchase kits you think you'd prefer.

that's kind of the approach I'm taking,I saw some individual seifert?tests sold individually,so I was thinking as my api runs out ill start purchasing those kits as I run out of the app as opposed to going all in on a all inclusive kit as money is tight right now,however this week I'm going to get my water tested at my legs until I can start this procedure

Zoas, like softies need a little nitrates and phosphates to survive, unless you are target feeding them or they can get enough leftover food from what you feed your fish. Also, I have found hermits trampling across zoas in the middle of the night trying to get at some algae down in the plug which pisses them off pretty bad. Zoas are pretty forgiving on light but will get pissy sometimes when moved higher or lower suddenly. Not sure what lighting you are using but your zoas are pretty high, if its high par you may need to move them down a bit.

Not sure but I don't see a powerhead in your pics, probably a good idea to get one and add some more flow to your tank if your gonna do corals.

Your blenny looks cool! We all know algae sucks and try and get rid of it as quick as possible. The real trick is finding that tightwire of parameters between an algae outbreak, and just enough to feed your algae eaters.

ReeferBrian

This is a bit of a long update since its been so long.

So its been roughly 4 weeks now, my parameters seem to be fairly stable, and I'll post them below. I have discovered a gigantic bristle worm as well, he's at least 5 inches. Most of my rocks are getting covered in purple coraline algae. the big rock is turning green and I'm not sure if its regular algae or coraline, hopefully coraline.

As you can see in the pictures there is a ton of algae on my sand, I'm not sure where my nassarius snails are. there were 4 in there but since they pretty much stay under the sand its hard to keep track of them. anybody know any better sand sifters I could get? Or would more snails be the best way to go? I don't think they've died since no hermits are wearing their shells and I haven't seen any of their shells on the sand. The algae starts out a greenish brown and grows little hairs if that helps.

As for my handsome lawnmower blenny, he seems to enjoy perching all over the tank. I see him bite at the rocks and such which I think is normal. I've been putting some green seaweed sheets in for him but I think the hermits like it more than he does. I've never actually seen him eat it, but I don't think the hermits could be eating all of it. any advice on better things to do? Also, does he look like he's eating enough? I think his belly is round

I also have noticed some of my zoo's disappearing, nothing is eating them they just seem to be receding. In the picture you can see the middle is just kind of shrinking, but the left and right sides appear to be fine. It's been happening slowly for the last week, I've only really noticed it today. I don't know what the problem is and its definitely going to stall me adding any other corals until I figure out why.

The last update I have is that there appears to be hundreds, literally, of tiny bugs all over my tank glass. they are white, or clear, and have roundish bodies with tails I think. I'm not sure which way is the front honestly. One morning they were just there and they are there all the time. Are these copepods? I tried to look them up but I couldn't find anything like them online.

my parameters are:

Salinity - 0.024

dKh - 9.1

Ph - 7.8

Ammonia and nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 2

Phosphate - 0.16

Iodide - 0.06

Ca - 430

Mg - 1520

I dosed alkalinity this morning and its supposed to bring up my Ph too, at least the bottle says so.

I've been debating adding a cleaner shrimp, should I wait until the alkalinity goes back up?

Sorry for all the questions, I also added a new FTS for your viewing pleasure

hi,nice tank! My 14 gallon biocube is about 4 weeks into it now finished cycling and I've added 4 cerith snails and two scarlet hermits.I'm a noob so I'm going to give you an idea,but I'm new I'm just going off of my experience so far.if you have hermits try instead of feeding them for a day and see if they will go after the algae in the sand.my hermits plow through that stuff and go at it all day,just a thought.

Zoas, like softies need a little nitrates and phosphates to survive, unless you are target feeding them or they can get enough leftover food from what you feed your fish. Also, I have found hermits trampling across zoas in the middle of the night trying to get at some algae down in the plug which pisses them off pretty bad. Zoas are pretty forgiving on light but will get pissy sometimes when moved higher or lower suddenly. Not sure what lighting you are using but your zoas are pretty high, if its high par you may need to move them down a bit.

Not sure but I don't see a powerhead in your pics, probably a good idea to get one and add some more flow to your tank if your gonna do corals.

Your blenny looks cool! We all know algae sucks and try and get rid of it as quick as possible. The real trick is finding that tightwire of parameters between an algae outbreak, and just enough to feed your algae eaters.

wait do I need to be feeding the zoa's?!? I was specifically told by both the guy I got them from and my lfs that I don't need to feed them anything. what should I be feeding them? since I don't have any thing other than the blenny in the tank I don't do any feeding at all since I quit giving the blenny dried seaweed.

My lighting is the stock biocube lighting. I plan on buying a power head and a protein skimmer this week to help with my algae problem. Currently the blenny and hermits aren't even making a dent in it. The algae really sucks because when I wipe it off my rocks I can see where they are turning purple with coraline underneath.

hi,nice tank! My 14 gallon biocube is about 4 weeks into it now finished cycling and I've added 4 cerith snails and two scarlet hermits.I'm a noob so I'm going to give you an idea,but I'm new I'm just going off of my experience so far.if you have hermits try instead of feeding them for a day and see if they will go after the algae in the sand.my hermits plow through that stuff and go at it all day,just a thought.

Once the algae problem started getting bad I stopped feeding the tank, none of my CUC are even making a dent.

that's kind of the approach I'm taking,I saw some individual seifert?tests sold individually,so I was thinking as my api runs out ill start purchasing those kits as I run out of the app as opposed to going all in on a all inclusive kit as money is tight right now,however this week I'm going to get my water tested at my legs until I can start this procedure

I have the red sea test kits, my only api test kit is the ammonia one. I like the red sea test kits so far, they are fairly easy to do and I can do all of them in about 15 minutes now that I've gotten good at them.

ReeferBrian

wait do I need to be feeding the zoa's?!? I was specifically told by both the guy I got them from and my lfs that I don't need to feed them anything. what should I be feeding them? since I don't have any thing other than the blenny in the tank I don't do any feeding at all since I quit giving the blenny dried seaweed.

My lighting is the stock biocube lighting. I plan on buying a power head and a protein skimmer this week to help with my algae problem. Currently the blenny and hermits aren't even making a dent in it. The algae really sucks because when I wipe it off my rocks I can see where they are turning purple with coraline underneath.

Once the algae problem started getting bad I stopped feeding the tank, none of my CUC are even making a dent.

I have the red sea test kits, my only api test kit is the ammonia one. I like the red sea test kits so far, they are fairly easy to do and I can do all of them in about 15 minutes now that I've gotten good at them.

hmmm,is there any chance you over Fed your tank?I'm just trying to think of reasons why you have that much algae and why your cuc isn't hitting it,although my cuc is not large in numbers they are working hard on the algae in mine.my algae problem is not as bad right now,if I can think of anything else ill try to help ya out as much as I can.a lot of sights and blogs are telling me that in the beginning stages of a new tank you can expect algae issues,but I'm a mad man when it comes to keeping my tanks clean,lol so it's driving me nuts,lol

I wouldn't worry too much about the algae at this stage of your tank's life. In most cases, you can expect an algae bloom right after the cycle has completed. Even after your reef is well established, you can expect to have to scrape algae from your glass every 4 days or so.

As for the asterina stars, they're most likely nothing to worry about. Granted, there are different species of asterinas and some of them do eat zoanthids, but they're not exactly common to come by. Unless you see something actually crawling on them or eating them, it's most likely the colony just getting acclimated to a reef that's not mature yet. Shit, even in established systems, it's not uncommon for a couple to melt away.

You also asked about adding a powerhead and flow (which will also help with algae control). I honestly can't recommend a Jebao PP4 (newer version of the RW4) highly enough. It's only slightly more expensive than a standard nano-sized powerhead and you'll get a ton of flow (adjustable) and a wavemaker controller. If/when you look to upgrade your return pump, the Hydor Evo-mag 300 will fit and give you 300gph pumping through your tank. I use this exact combo on my Biocube 14 (with the PP4 at 50% power) and the flow is great.

To avoid a big debate I will say, some people feed their zoas and some people don't. I think most tanks have enough left over food and fish waste in the water to keep zoas ok. I have seen zoas melt in both low and high nutrient systems, as tiggs said above sometimes it just happens. According to Live Aquaria if you don't have proper lighting for zoas they should be fed, take that how you will.

I wouldn't worry too much about the algae at this stage of your tank's life. In most cases, you can expect an algae bloom right after the cycle has completed. Even after your reef is well established, you can expect to have to scrape algae from your glass every 4 days or so.

As for the asterina stars, they're most likely nothing to worry about. Granted, there are different species of asterinas and some of them do eat zoanthids, but they're not exactly common to come by. Unless you see something actually crawling on them or eating them, it's most likely the colony just getting acclimated to a reef that's not mature yet. Shit, even in established systems, it's not uncommon for a couple to melt away.

You also asked about adding a powerhead and flow (which will also help with algae control). I honestly can't recommend a Jebao PP4 (newer version of the RW4) highly enough. It's only slightly more expensive than a standard nano-sized powerhead and you'll get a ton of flow (adjustable) and a wavemaker controller. If/when you look to upgrade your return pump, the Hydor Evo-mag 300 will fit and give you 300gph pumping through your tank. I use this exact combo on my Biocube 14 (with the PP4 at 50% power) and the flow is great.

The algae is really only annoying because when I wipe it off my rocks I can see where they are turning purple with coraline

well the asterinas have never been near my zoa's as far as I can tell so I'm definitely not worrying about them. and I moved the zoa's down a bit to almost the bottom and one that was previously closed has started to re open and I think a second one is as well.

the jebao is actually one that I am looking at so with your recommendation I may go with it, I'm also thinking the aquaticlife 115 for my skimmer

Archived