inTank Media Baskets

Fluval clear max safe for nano reef tank?

ReeferBrian

ReeferBrian

Hi,I'm a noob here.I have an 8 month old 10 gallon standard mixed reef tank.I have 1 clownfish. I yellow watchman goby 1 peppermint shrimp 2trochus snails 2bluelegged hermits 3small colonies of assorted zoas and 3stalks of zenia 1small torch.I'm running a marineland biowheel rated for 30 gallons coralife protein skimmer and I use the standard carbon filter pads with the hob filter.I do a 20% water change weekly .everything numbers wise on parameters are all within acceptable ranges,although my test kit is all api.approximately 24 hours of doing my 20%water change and siphoning my sand bed as I have done for 8months,I got what looks like brown diatoms?i purchased di water from target which I've never used before so maybe that's the problem?I did notice that one of my hermits just mowed down quite a bit as I'm writing this,lol my flow isn't great but upgrading to a koriliah 240 this weekend.now,to my question.I was advised by someone at a lfs that I should use some fluvalclear max in my hob filter so I bought some before researching it which I NEVER do,so not sure why I didn't this time.after passing this info on I was told that although on the box it says saltwater safe it makes no mention of inverts?does anyone out there have any enlightenment that they can give me?it might be totally safe but EVERY 5minutes I feel like I sho u k d remove this product until I get more info.I think if I change back to my other brand of water,improve the flow,and increase my cuc, should be ok.any opinions would be great,I've met some truly nice people on here with great advise and I could use some now lol,thank you! I'm still trying to figure out how to download pics so when/ if I figure it out ill post some,I'm 46 years old and techknowlogy is n I t my thing,lol

Ditch the bio-wheel and go with an aquaclear with carbon/purigen or other appropriate salt water media.

Biowheels are extremely efficient at removing ammonia and nitrite and turning them into Nitrate which is not what you need. They are for freshwater and fish only set ups imo. You would be better off replacing it with something that can hold appropriate media for reefs.

The clearmax looks kind of like GFO to me.

ReeferBrian

Yeah I'm eventually going to switch out to a different filter but stuck with this one for the time being,I added some chemipure elite yesterday and I'm quite happy with the results! Ill keep an eye on my nitrates with the biowheel and use this thread to show my wife that it's necessary that I upgrade my filter,lol I have actually been looking at the aquaclear

Archived