Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Why Should I NOT Upgrade

Drew Shark

If you have the ability, the funds, and really want to-you do what will make you happy.

The other option is having 2 tanks:)

Drew Shark

One option that I did not previously consider is that I have a 20L sump just sitting around. Has anyone ever built a cabinet/case to contain a sump next to their setup? I am looking for something close to or at furniture quality. If so did you build it or buy it? I would love to see pictures!

Thank you everyone for your help with this problem!

Drew Shark

I'll never go above 60 gallons. Any more and it is too much damn work.

So that is one thing that I am realizing reading build threads on bigger tanks. I kind of like buying water at the LFS because it gives me an excuse to check out the coral.

I did get the quote for the possible tank sizes and I was surprised what they wanted for the stands. They were wanting 400-500 for MDF!?

HarryPotter

So that is one thing that I am realizing reading build threads on bigger tanks. I kind of like buying water at the LFS because it gives me an excuse to check out the coral.

I did get the quote for the possible tank sizes and I was surprised what they wanted for the stands. They were wanting 400-500 for MDF!?

I went 28 --> 45 --> 90 (volume).

Once I hit 90.... RODI system is an absolute must. 10 gallons of RODI per week in top off, 10g a week for water changes. Too much and too expensive to buy from local fish stores.

Drew Shark

I went 28 --> 45 --> 90 (volume).

Once I hit 90.... RODI system is an absolute must. 10 gallons of RODI per week in top off, 10g a week for water changes. Too much and too expensive to buy from local fish stores.

Right now I have a 50 display that is topless, about 10 in the sump, and then a 10 gallon topless quarantine, I am already at 10 gallons a week. My only problem right now with trying to find a place for the waste water to go. We have pretty drought tolerant landscaping so no where to dump 30 gallons a week. I have plenty of places to get the water supply line.

I like the Reefer, it is just hard to get my head around $1650 for a tank, stand, and sump. The auto top off is only good for three days, so I would have to get an ATO for the ATO.

Right now, I am looking into cabinets to go next to my tank that I can put a 20L in.

Build your own. It's not that hard, and it will be much more sturdy than the prefab MDF stands.

Drew Shark

1. being happy with your scape
  2. not having to set up all over again - and the associated worry of any failures
  3. not having to troubleshoot or constantly monitor things for a few weeks/months till you're happy the tank will be fine on it's own
  4. effort

I usually find when I want to upgrade, rescaping, removing any extra rock and giving the glass a good clean during this time really helps nip it in the bud. I'd only upgrade if space (for corals, or if I really wanted a nice, new fish) was a concern. Other than that, I don't really see value in prematurely upgrading.

Nothing wrong with an upgrade. If you dont like what you have then go ahead. You have to be happy with what you have. It WILL cost twice as much as you expect, but you probably already know that.

BUT....most seem to be in a constant state of upgrade, when nothing looks better than a tank full of mature colony's vs. a tank with bare rock and nubs. The great tanks here have all been up for a long time.

IMO...better too try hard to stick it out for at least a couple of years with what tank you have. Cure the urge with more corals, different lights, better skimmer, cool sump, etc.

Both of these are some really solid advice that I had to think about to appreciate. This tank is finally starting to hit its grove and growth is taking off. Softies, LPS, and SPS are all growing at a good rate, which is awesome!

I think I will reevaluate in 6 months, which will mean the tank has been up for a year, if the setup is unfix-able and I have to upgrade. Or whether there are things that can be changed without a completely new setup. I am going to tough it out as @masterbuilder said.

Thank you all!

I actually have done the cabinet next to my tank for a sump deal, I just used a basic media box cabinet from Ikea, it doesn't take any weight so it just has to be neat and tidy, really. You can see it in my TOTM thread

I've recently upgrade from 200L to 1000L and honestly I don't think it's any more effort! Sure there's more glass to clean but by having a large system, I installed storage for 200L saltwater and 350RODI which was the one chore I became fed up of. Longer runs of RODI also helps preserve the membrane too, so now I only turn it on every 3-4 weeks!

Nano sapiens

Nothing wrong with an upgrade. If you dont like what you have then go ahead. You have to be happy with what you have. It WILL cost twice as much as you expect, but you probably already know that.

BUT....most seem to be in a constant state of upgrade, when nothing looks better than a tank full of mature colony's vs. a tank with bare rock and nubs. The great tanks here have all been up for a long time.

IMO...better too try hard to stick it out for at least a couple of years with what tank you have. Cure the urge with more corals, different lights, better skimmer, cool sump, etc.

^^ good advise and I see you are taking it.

I think it's fair to say that many reef aquarists who have stayed in the hobby for a long time have gone up in scale (small, medium, large...extra large, possibly), then come back down to the size that they find most manageable/enjoyable. It's hard to resist the 'larger is better' mantra.

Whatever the size tank, I believe that the goal should be to provide the best care for the animals and present as appealing an envirnoment as possible. This can be accomplished in just about any sized tank.

What I find problematic is the constant upgrading in tank size to keep ahead of the next big crash as the aquarist will never really advance in his/her reef keeping skills.

Do it Drew :-); you only live once....maximize your dream!

Where are you in SoCal Drew? I am in So Cal too :-)

Very hard for me :-); I am not that handy. Believe me, it is cheaper for me to buy than to build

Build your own. It's not that hard, and it will be much more sturdy than the prefab MDF stands.

Archived