ReefCleaners.org

Why Should I NOT Upgrade

Drew Shark

Drew Shark

I've had a 50 cube for 5 months. I have been in the hobby for more than six years now and I have the itch to upgrade to somewhere between 80 and say 135 gallons. When anybody mentions upgrading, everyone says go for it.

What are the negatives of upgrading?

1. Do you have the money to support a bigger tank?

2. Can your floor support a bigger tank?

3. Do you have the time to devote to the maintenance of a bigger tank?

4. Has your significant other approved the time and money that will be devoted the tank instead of him/her?

Drew Shark

Yes to all three. I am leaning towards a 4ft 100 gallon right now. I can still manage maintenance by hand and I don't see it taking any more time than what I do now. I am already running out of room for corals in the tank. The cube sump is also a major pain.

Doubling the size shouldn't be a huge change for you. Instead of 5 gallon buckets, you'll just use Rubbermaid Brute containers. You'll also need to make and store more water (you can't do a tank that size without a RO/DI unit). Plus, you'll need to store all this stuff (a dedicated fish room helps).

Obviously the equipment (like lights and skimmers) will cost more. However, once you have what you need, salt, additives, and media are your biggest expenses. Even though you might be tempted to do fewer or smaller percentage water changes, I recommend not straying too far from your current maintenance and water change strategies.

It will take a little longer to perform maintenance, but once you hit your stride and get used to it, it shouldn't be a big issue. However, dealing with problems will be harder. It's just easier to break down a smaller tank when you need to.

You can do this. It will be fun (as long as you don't have any major problems). One last bit of advice; if you don't quarantine new livestock now, you will need to for the new tank.

1. being happy with your scape
  2. not having to set up all over again - and the associated worry of any failures
  3. not having to troubleshoot or constantly monitor things for a few weeks/months till you're happy the tank will be fine on it's own
  4. effort

I usually find when I want to upgrade, rescaping, removing any extra rock and giving the glass a good clean during this time really helps nip it in the bud. I'd only upgrade if space (for corals, or if I really wanted a nice, new fish) was a concern. Other than that, I don't really see value in prematurely upgrading.

Spending more money

Having to cycle and move everything over

4. Has your significant other approved the time and money that will be devoted the tank instead of him/her?

Doubling the size shouldn't be a huge change for you. Instead of 5 gallon buckets, you'll just use Rubbermaid Brute containers. You'll also need to make and store more water (you can't do a tank that size without a RO/DI unit). Plus, you'll need to store all this stuff (a dedicated fish room helps).

Obviously the equipment (like lights and skimmers) will cost more. However, once you have what you need, salt, additives, and media are your biggest expenses. Even though you might be tempted to do fewer or smaller percentage water changes, I recommend not straying too far from your current maintenance and water change strategies.

It will take a little longer to perform maintenance, but once you hit your stride and get used to it, it shouldn't be a big issue. However, dealing with problems will be harder. It's just easier to break down a smaller tank when you need to.

You can do this. It will be fun (as long as you don't have any major problems). One last bit of advice; if you don't quarantine new livestock now, you will need to for the new tank.

2. not having to set up all over again - and the associated worry of any failures
  3. not having to troubleshoot or constantly monitor things for a few weeks/months till you're happy the tank will be fine on it's own
  4. effort

I usually find when I want to upgrade, rescaping, removing any extra rock and giving the glass a good clean during this time really helps nip it in the bud. I'd only upgrade if space (for corals, or if I really wanted a nice, new fish) was a concern. Other than that, I don't really see value in prematurely upgrading.

Meh......Just do it.

masterbuilder

Nothing wrong with an upgrade. If you dont like what you have then go ahead. You have to be happy with what you have. It WILL cost twice as much as you expect, but you probably already know that.

BUT....most seem to be in a constant state of upgrade, when nothing looks better than a tank full of mature colony's vs. a tank with bare rock and nubs. The great tanks here have all been up for a long time.

IMO...better too try hard to stick it out for at least a couple of years with what tank you have. Cure the urge with more corals, different lights, better skimmer, cool sump, etc.

The only reason why I haven't upgraded is because I'm in an apartment. Thats my only reason for a 15g tank.

If I had a house, I would have gone with a 90g tank in the basement with a dedicated room for maintenance/supplies.

Do it. I loved my 85 shallow. It is very very sad seeing it empty in the living room. It was 4ft by 2ft by 17inches. Sweet dimensions.

4. effort

that is the fun part though! once everything is done the feeling of accomplishment of your sexy new reef

so in other words

giphy_zpskid15tld.gif

Drew Shark

Thank you all for the advice :D

My reasons for upgrading are multi-fold:

1. I am running out of space for coral. I like to go to the fish store each weekend and buy a coral or two.

2. I have a tang in quarantine that will eventually need a longer tank. It is fine for at least two-three years in my current tank based on my experience and its small size.

3. I HATE my current scape. It is just a pile of rocks.

4. The sump is very difficult to do work on. I just want a 40 breeder diy thing.

5. The stand is too small for even a 20 High to fit in.

6. The sand bed is way too small of an area. I have a hard time finding a place for even 3 frags to go.

Things that help offset the cost:

1. I already have the lights for up to a 5ft tank.

2. I have two skimmers, which would be more than adequate for up to 130ish gallons of display.

3. I have more fish food than I know what to do with.

4. I have a ton of filter socks and bags to run media in. I bought BRS's bulk media and I have barely touched it.

5. I have mostly softies, so dosing is not much.

My only costs I see in upgrading would be a tank, stand, plumbing, a diy sump, and an RODI unit. These costs would be offset by selling my current setup, which will cover about 40% of the cost.

The more water you have the easier things get ... more room for error.... however things get bigger and more expensive... but if you have deep pockets and patience to let the tank cycle and set everything up then get errr done...

Drew Shark

Just something to add. Before I bought this setup I purchased a 135 and had it all cleaned up with a sweet sump and plumbing. I sold it because I didn't like the six foot length. I would have preferred 4-5 foot. I wish I just kept it, because dealing with this cube has been no fun due to the dimensions and maintenance difficulties. My main complaint is the sump. Maintenance is very difficult and because of that I struggle to do it.

One of the things I learned early on in this hobby is: "The easier it is to do, the more often you'll do it".

... My main complaint is the sump. Maintenance is very difficult and because of that I struggle to do it.

Kind of off topic (I'm certainly not trying to change your mind), but I'm just interested in what made maintenance so difficult.

Drew Shark

Kind of off topic (I'm certainly not trying to change your mind), but I'm just interested in what made maintenance so difficult.

The way the sump is designed. The filter sock is behind the skimmer. So I am reaching around the skimmer and knocking it over to reach the filter sock. The refugium chamber is too small to have heaters and a large amount of cheato. The light for the refugium also makes access to the refugium difficult to stir up waste. The return pump chamber is also too small and it is difficult to have anything in there but the return pump. Because of the small size of the cabinet I can only look into cube sumps. All of the cube sumps I have seen would have the same problem. I have looked at Advanced Acrylics, Trigger Systems, etc, and they all have the same problem. I also want to upgrade to a better skimmer, but the footprint needed is 8x12ish. There is absolutely no room for that.

I hope I am not coming across as whiny, I just think this hobby should be enjoyable. When I had my rectangular tanks, they were much easier to work on.

If maintenance is an unbearable chore, upgrading won't fix that. You'll have more water to move, make and dispose of. You have more glass to clean, more sand bed surface to keep clean, more fish and corals to feed. You'll also have more equipment to clean.

Maintenance can be minimized at any size by employing ATO, controllers, dosers and if you're up for the plumbing challenge, even automatic water changes.

Upgrading will fix the space issue, though. You'll have more space to maneuver, and more space to put corals, but you'll also have more to do. Granted, the increase may be marginal if your upgrade isn't a big leap in volume or complexity.

RIP Sebastian

If you upgrade, I'll guarantee you that Ogg, Gorilla Emperor of Earth, will come to your house at night while you're asleep, take your tank and corals and everything else fishy, and then bring it all back to me. He will also steal your credit cards so he doesn't have to pay for shipping,

Drew Shark

If maintenance is an unbearable chore, upgrading won't fix that. You'll have more water to move, make and dispose of. You have more glass to clean, more sand bed surface to keep clean, more fish and corals to feed. You'll also have more equipment to clean.

Maintenance can be minimized at any size by employing ATO, controllers, dosers and if you're up for the plumbing challenge, even automatic water changes.

Upgrading will fix the space issue, though. You'll have more space to maneuver, and more space to put corals, but you'll also have more to do. Granted, the increase may be marginal if your upgrade isn't a big leap in volume or complexity.

Maintenance is not "unbearable", per se. I actually like doing maintenance and fiddling with things. It is just that this is the most inconvenient setup to do maintenance I have ever had. I want more space in the stand is my goal.

Right now due to the space of the stand I have no room for an ATO container or dosing containers. That is why I am looking at the 4-5 foot range, so I have room to put all of those things.

If you don't live in an apt and have a basement or suitable place to mix/store large amounts of water, I see no reason to not go bigger.

Hard Softy

If you upgrade, I'll guarantee you that Ogg, Gorilla Emperor of Earth, will come to your house at night while you're asleep, take your tank and corals and everything else fishy, and then bring it all back to me. He will also steal your credit cards so he doesn't have to pay for shipping,

LMAO :)
ReeferBrian

I'm in a lease and have restrictions on the size tank I can have,or else I'd have a BIGGER tank,sounds like you have made your decission!I wish you the best of luck! And oh yeah....I'm jealous,lmbo!

Archived