Cultivated Reef

Need help ID on a bug

Balix

I've got a clown, firefish and shrimp. The body is more like an isopod and NOT curved up like most amphipods. I recently introduced a colony of frogspawn from a tank where all the fish died but ran corals only the past 2 months (told me this after paying and bagging it up).

LadyBryozoa

The 2 primary differences between amphipods and isopods:

1) amphipods are laterally compressed (sides are flat - is this what you mean by "curved up"?) while isopods are dorsoventrally compressed (flat on top and bottom) and, most importantly,

2) amphipods have gnathopods (legs that end in a claw) in addition to thoracic (pereopods) and abdominal legs (pleopods) - also, all pairs of legs may look different (that's where the name amphipod comes from = "many feet") - while isopods have only pereopods and pleopods and legs in those two groups all look the same (isopod = "same feet").

The degree of "flatness" is extremely variable in the amphipods as well.

The back end of this bug still looks curved underneath the body a bit (an amphipod thing) and just from the way it moves I would still guess amphipod - isopods tend to have slower, smoother movements (like a pill bug) while amphipods move around somewhat "jerkily" (is that a word?)

Hope this helps :)

Archived